Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Another one bites the dust (developer that is).

My car is now 10 years old- but has only 70,000 on the odometer. Since it still does the job I ask of it- no plans to buy a new one.For servicing, I look for a garage sign that says in effect "We service both new AND old cars".I don't recall seeing any signs saying "We service only the newest cars". Such a shop will tend to have a limited customer base. And perhaps an uncertain future?Alex Reid
Ah, but you will find manufactures who build only new cars, not old cars. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Most developers are a lot like politicians.
It's funny that you mention that because Mr. Randazzo (PMDG's owner) is running for Lt. Governor in my wonderful state of Nevada.
It is time for us to start respecting the dev's decision and be happy with what we've got! Heck, to this day I think Acura dropping the Legend Coupe was the DUMBEST thing the company ever did. A lot of others do too, every time I go to my dealer we talk about how much we loved that car but I am not going to sit here and challenge their business decisions and expect them to start making it again because of my emotional connection...Paul
What is happening here would be more like Honda dropping the entire Acura line...or Toyota dropping Lexus. Regardless, it is their decision to make. Matt

My car is now 10 years old- but has only 70,000 on the odometer. Since it still does the job I ask of it- no plans to buy a new one. I don't recall seeing any signs saying "We service only the newest cars". Such a shop will tend to have a limited customer base. And perhaps an uncertain future?
Actually, it's more like having a functional 10 year old car with a permanently installed cassette player, and finding out that music publishers are no longer going to be producing tapes. Sure, all your old tapes will continue to work just fine, but the newest music won't be playable. -Greg

Actually, it's more like having a functional 10 year old car with a permanently installed cassette player, and finding out that music publishers are no longer going to be producing tapes. Sure, all your old tapes will continue to work just fine, but the newest music won't be playable. -Greg
Ah, but that newest music is mostly hip-hop noise, to which its listeners gyrate mindlessly to frivolous stimulation by sight and sound...Come to think of it, maybe that really isn't such a bad analogy. :-DCheerioBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

But, methinks the developers are forgetting something. New FSX users from outside the community is drying up as stores put FSX in the bargin bin or off the shelves altogether. In another year or two you'd better hope that the other 1/2 of the existing FS9 community flocks to FSX, because I betcha none of ya have a plan if that doesn't happen and your FSX sales go down the toilet too.
What then does this announcement from Microsoft do to your above supposition? :( Microsoft Flight Simulator X - temporarily sold out...We're making more! http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FS...es/soldOut.aspxDon't you suppose that MS might just know something about "Marketing" and wouldn't be "making more" if there were no ROI for their efforts? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The cost to copy more DVDs, generate keys, and ship is a small drop in a big bucket for MS. Please don't conclude next that FSX is just flying off the store shelves in incredible numbers and MS wants to cash in on this new found interest in FSX.

.................And you will find more garages servicing old cars than new :(

Dave Taylor gb.png

Hi Ron- Ah, but the FS addon software houses are actually "aftermarket" manufacturers- not original equipment manufacturers. The "original equipment" is either FSX or FS9, perhaps FS8 or earlier- the manufacturer of which, has discontinued all development- but continues to sell from his "unlimited" inventory. X Plane is, today, the only manufacturer of new "cars".However, there are automobile aftermarket manufacturers today who continue to produce parts for the venerable Model T. And make money while doing so- some 80 years later.The real questions are- "At what cost could I manufacture 'parts' for FS9? And would the market be large enough at that cost plus a profit, to carry on such a fabrication business ???A further consideration is that FS9 is a saturated market in contrast to FSX being very unsaturated at this time. Hence the product mix may be different between the two. Just because an FSX addon sold poorly in FS9 version, means only that 9ers did not see value for money. A failure in market analysis.Anybody here who remembers the Ford Edsel?Alex Reid

Hi Ron- Ah, but the FS addon software houses are actually "aftermarket" manufacturers- not original equipment manufacturers. The "original equipment" is either FSX or FS9, perhaps FS8 or earlier- the manufacturer of which, has discontinued all development- but continues to sell from his "unlimited" inventory. X Plane is, today, the only manufacturer of new "cars".However, there are automobile aftermarket manufacturers today who continue to produce parts for the venerable Model T. And make money while doing so- some 80 years later.The real questions are- "At what cost could I manufacture 'parts' for FS9? And would the market be large enough at that cost plus a profit, to carry on such a fabrication business ???A further consideration is that FS9 is a saturated market in contrast to FSX being very unsaturated at this time. Hence the product mix may be different between the two. Just because an FSX addon sold poorly in FS9 version, means only that 9ers did not see value for money. A failure in market analysis.Anybody here who remembers the Ford Edsel?Alex Reid
Ha ha, I'm well aquainted with the parts and pieces aftermarket as I've restored a 1960 Chevy Impala. Yes I do remember the Edsel.Ok I'll play but please remember that from our view we are OEM from our shop regardless of sim version.We have a history of building specific sim versions at their own pricepoint and have the scars to prove it. :( That policy remains in place and will only be effected by new products which are FSX Only. Those FS9 products and their FSX Counterparts already prove the wide margin differences in sales numbers for say a Cirrus SR22G3 Turbo.The proximate cause for the disparity may be attributed to market saturation, lack of desire by users, poor product implimentation, or a combination of all three.Nevertheless, poor sales numbers for a specific version means, at some point, dropping the FS9 counterpart in favor of the FSX Only version as in this example. :(

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Hi.The comparison with cars is being placed in a wrong way, the correct would be like this:FS9 is the old car model, produced years ago by "Microsoft Motor Company".FSX is the new car model, produced by the same "Microsoft Motor Company" too. Both cars are sold without CD/DVD players. Like FS9 and FSX are sold without add-ons.Some companies produce and sell different CD/DVD players (add-ons) for each car, you choose wich one to buy, according to age of the car you have.Some other companies produce and sell CD/DVD players (add-ons) that will play nice on both cars, no matter their age.Some other companies produce and sell CD/DVD players (add-ons) that will only work on older cars.Finally, some other companies want to produce and sell CD/DVD players (add-ons) that will play only on the newer cars.I think this would show better the comparison. Of course that each company has its own strategy and reasons to choose the type of CD/DVD player to produce and sell.My best regards,Carlos Pereira.www.tropicalsim.comPS: if there were really MS cars, I would like to know if after parking and turning the keys, some alert would pop up and ask: "Are you sure you really want to shut-down the engine?" :(

This thread is starting to remind me of one of those healthcare town hall meetings. No matter how many examples that the general population makes in contrast to said developers reasoning, they don't care. They have made up their minds, and that is that.

Hi,It tells me Microsoft stopped production some time ago and finally ran out of copies, the software is just about four (4) years old. Wonder how many more copies will be made before Microsoft stops production of FSX all together.

What then does this announcement from Microsoft do to your above supposition? :( Microsoft Flight Simulator X - temporarily sold out...We're making more! http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FS...es/soldOut.aspxDon't you suppose that MS might just know something about "Marketing" and wouldn't be "making more" if there were no ROI for their efforts? :(

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,It tells me Microsoft stopped production some time ago and finally ran out of copies, the software is just about four (4) years old. Wonder how many more copies will be made before Microsoft stops production of FSX all together.
Umm, until it is no longer viable to do so. :( The funny part is I've seen FS98 disks in bargain bins for 9.95.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

---------PS: if there were really MS cars, I would like to know if after parking and turning the keys, some alert would pop up and ask: "Are you sure you really want to shut-down the engine?" :(
And only MS could create a Shut Down button labelled "Start"! Alex Reid