Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HughesMDflyer4

September FSX and Flight Comparison Screenshots

See the third post in this topic for the comparisons. I messed something up and had to do it this way.laugh.png

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

If they do the globe in that level of detail then Flight will be one for the record books, if we can run it on our systems. Would love to see more than just Hawaii though... Hong Kong perhaps or the Alps or Grand Canyon... NYC would be one to preview too.

Time for the comparison shots you have all been waiting for. tongue.png Everything is out of the box default FSX with settings turned all the way up. As usual, locations are matched as closely as possible. I have not been able to find the location of screenshot 3 and 6. These locations weren't identifiable by me, so if anyone is smart enough to figure it out, please let me know. Screenshot 1 FSXhonolulucityfsx.jpg Flighthonolulucityflight.jpgScreenshot 2 FSXnightrunwayfsx.jpg Flightnightrunwayflight.jpgScreenshot 3 Location unconfirmed Screenshot 4 FSXgeminiobservatoryfsx.jpg Flightgeminiobservatoryflight.jpgScreenshot 5 FSXgeminiobservatoryfarfsx.jpg Flightgeminiobservatoryfarfli.jpgScreenshot 6 Location Unconfirmed

Screenshot 7 FSXbayhonoluluhighfsx.jpg Flightbayhonoluluhighflight.jpgScreenshot 8 FSXhonoluluhotelsclosefsx.jpg Flighthonoluluhotelscloseflig.jpgScreenshot 9 FSXhonolulucitybeachnearfs.jpg Flighthonolulucitybeachnearfl.jpg I am not sure that the location of shot 2 is correct, but even if it's not, the overall look won't be much different. I just found it interesting how things lined up so well for that shot scenery-wise. I had to look at every airport in Hawaii in Google Earth to determine which runways had the horizontally oriented arrows. Turned out Hilo Intl was one of them, and I decided to use it for it's accuracy. This airport was also the same airport featured in Webisode 2. Overall, the improvements in Flight are more and more visible with each update. The only shot I wasn't impressed with was #7, which has a very flat look to it. Other than that, Flight is looking great and I hope a lot of these recent rumors about it being limited to one plane and island are not true, as the engine itself has some great potential by the looks of it. Lets try not to turn this thread into yet another argument thread with pointless speculation, but focus on what solid facts we have and what we can visually see in the screenshots and videos, specifically the September screenshots, since this is the point of this topic. laugh.png

The last two shots show a very different attention to building scale...looks great.

Well done Brandon. A lot of work on your part for the benefit of our viewing pleasure. Flight looks great.

Screenie 7 looks better in FSX, although it is the only one. Al

thanks for the great effort to show us how better FLIGHT going to be regardless of MS upcoming (unknown) marketing strategy for it. GOOD job man.

Cool! MS owes you at least a free copy of Flight for all your efforts. You do marketing much better than MS! :)

I think all the screenshots look a whole lot better. A massive improvement by Microsoft; it would just be nice to see other countries, not just Hawaii.

I think all the screenshots look a whole lot better. A massive improvement by Microsoft; it would just be nice to see other countries, not just Hawaii.
^ Yeah that. Plus I'm curious as to what light source is shining on the Maule in the second picture. EDIT: Regarding screenshot 3 (not shown here), I like the effect of city lights shining up on the Maule. Looks like the lighting engine has seen improvements.Which IMO was necessary anyways to stay up with X-Plane.

Nice shots!Somehow I find the lighting in FSX more realistic than Flight in some shots. In Flight the contrast is a bit high in my opinion. But maybe it will be something you can tweak in the game.

Looks like reflections in the water are out. Also i like the textures/landclass in the FSX version of piccie 7 better. Besides that, Flight looks pretty good :)

Wow! Really looking nice! happy.png Hope MS can pull this off for us hardcore fans....

Have you note that, until now, there is no clouds reflexion on water, and no buildings or ground reflexion. Those things exists on Fsx. Is it mean that the engine visual system is not complete ?

Have you note that, until now, there is no clouds reflexion on water, and no buildings or ground reflexion. Those things exists on Fsx. Is it mean that the engine visual system is not complete ?
Or they removed them since it looked completely unrealistic anyway but I agree the visual system is obviously not yet complete.

I hope the water relfection stays a display option like it is already in FSX.Most likely it's simply turned off.

Somebody please tell MatthewS that the autogen distortions look to be not so bad in many of these photos. That is: the scale of the trees, as compared to the buildings in the Waikiki shots, is pretty correct. I realize that the buildings are all likely custom one-off objects, but I don't think those trees are.

Somebody please tell MatthewS that the autogen distortions look to be not so bad in many of these photos. That is: the scale of the trees, as compared to the buildings in the Waikiki shots, is pretty correct. I realize that the buildings are all likely custom one-off objects, but I don't think those trees are.
Yes... the tree's look better, those close up buildings (eg shot #7) look like custom objects so you would think the scale is correct. The autogen buildings in the distance in shot #1 seem better, not as many pitched roofs on warehouse sized buildings, but its hard to tell for sure... the lighting looks better, that might also help.