Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

New Aircraft Hint

Look though at the size of the prop coming off the cone. It can't be the DHC-2 Beaver.I don't know how to resize this picture... sorry.dhc-2_beaver_6_of_9.jpg

I think Tom is right, look at the 2 blades propeller189502.jpgor hereVH-AAD5.jpg99055_1194316709.jpg

Look though at the size of the prop coming off the cone. It can't be the DHC-2 Beaver.
I think you are right. Plus if you compare the distance from the edge of the spinner to the cowling, the MS picture is much narrower.

The size of the prop coming off the cone is so small that you wonder how it could even be a propeller at all. It doesn't look strong enough.

Look though at the size of the prop coming off the cone.
Viewed from same angle:DeHavillandBeaverslim.jpg

The thing that throws me the most is that raised ring at the base of the spinner, I have never seen it before nor can I find it in any pictures.

detail.jpg
I missed that particular.Ok, that's definitely a Beaver.

At least compared to the FSX default, the spinner looks much too small. But that doesn't mean the didn't just model it off of a different configuration of Beaver. Personally, if it does end up being the Beaver, I will be really disappointed. There is also no way to know how many blades are on the plane in their picture, the way it is angled and the limited portion they give you; they could be hiding any number of blades.Image4.jpg

Beaver for sure. Less work since they can just port it from FSX.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I'd love to see a Goose (or a Mallard) but I'm betting that this one is a Murphy Moose. They're very common in Canada and Alaska. It's a taildragger with a 9-cylinder radial engine with a giant prop hub. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Murphy_Moose- Gary Letona
I concur, it's a Moose...notice the flange on the back of the spinner in the MS Flight photo, and here: http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/photo/359254.htmlThis photo shows the "Zero like" nose and spinner (which no photos of the Goose show in any configuration---same with the Beaver). The rear flange on the spinner is a giveaway.This ought to be a fun plane, as it has float config, "big tire" tail dragger config, etc.I'd bet "Moose"!BillKGYH

Good eye Bill! I think the flange on the back side of the spinner is truly telling. Its not something I have EVER seen, and I think the Moose is in line with the teams perspective and goals. Seems like a rough and rugged aircraft for Alaska! Im really interested in seeing more, since like I said, this is new news for me. If its true that it is a Moose, it shows that the team has more interest in kit aircraft now. In the past, none of the default models were kit builds. That section of aviation was almost totally ignored! Only the 3rd party's truly explored it, like the RV. The thing is, there are many kit builders on the Flight team, so I can see there personal interest's influencing the product. Its one of the good things about having a small focused team. The product will take on the personality's of the team members building it! Maybe someone on the team (Paul?) started building a Moose? Heh. I can totally see that, considering some members already have an RV(8) and a Maule.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

It's definitely a Rolls Royce Trent
+1So far, that's the most accurate comparison I've seen - and I hope I'm not seeing such a close match through rose colored glasses :)