Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Is anyone else having issues with Essentials?

Not noticed anything.

As far as going back to REX OD, the big thing that would stop me is the new weather engine. It's what made Essentials, not the textures.

I only have issues with the NGX as i posted in some other thread. Aircraft will bank like crazy (45º sometimes) and completely lose sense of where its heading with some wind injection types. Just the NGX, doesn't happen with any other A/C. Shame because the sensation of 'real' weather has never been so good - Like bonchie put it, that's what makes Essentials so good.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Mmmm sound like I made the right decision to leave it alone. More than happy with my current setup R2+OD. Maybe give it a try sometime in the future when I have to do a full reinstall.

Perhaps by then any bugs will be ironed out and the Retail DVD will be in the shops. I know DLs are convenient but I hate all the hoops I have to jump through to maintain them. Can be a nightmare...perhaps just me, getting too old to be bothered with all the hassle...but that said, sometimes it can't be avoided.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Hi Howard,

Not sure about REXE, I did some tests AS2012 using REXE textures and using REXE weather engine. REXE gave a -20%FPS hit. I took the time to do SS and explain and posted on REXE forums, the mistake I make was using the MS172 as an aircraft to show FPS as as we all know it gives a lot of fps over lets say PMDG 737 that I should have used to show a -20% hit the REXE weather engine gave over AS2012.

The replies I got from REX team was very disappointing, they said basically I had got good FPS they had others needing help more, go away and read the manual, case closed! The only replay what was good was saying and it's true REXE loads in bit more in and does look better than AS2012 but IMO -20% is a big hit. Does that bit more really hit fps that much?

Add to that I do get the flashing graphics and I don't mean the sky flashing as REXE is updating i can live with that as it's simconnect.

So, REXE looks great but it comes at a price, also I get a lot of 1013/2992 and thats not right, never got that with AS2012 I read thats also is due to simconnect also, but never had that problem with AS2012.

Disappointed about the -20% and the flashing and the support. But REXE looks amazing and is a wonderfull up-grade for free so I just don't know how I feel about it. I posted at 1am on there forums so I called one of there guys Tim when it was not I think that got the mood wrong? But -20% fps to me is worth asking about but they thought not. I wont ask again. Me bad.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Sudden weather changes, also a cloud layer under my ac that follows me around.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Unsure whether it is me, but since installing essentials I am having darn awful problems with flashing graphical anomolies. Sure, it happens when around big airports or 8/8 cloud cover in the NGX, but this is something new and not something I experienced with Rex OD. The only way I have found of eradicating things is to delete the bufferpools tweak, I then end up with a far less smooth sim, far from ideal and something I should not have to consider.

I did read something that suggested that essentials loads a whole load more 'stuff' in the background than OD, but unsure how qualified this information is. I have to be frank and say that at this moment in time I am seriously considering uninstalling and reverting back to Rex OD. I must add that up until installing Essentials I have been extremely happy with FSX. I don't really want to post this on the Rex forum just yet before I get some of you guys around here to offer your experiences. Cheers fellas...

It's actually real simple more cloud layers and larger texture sizes will be more taxing on the system graphics bus...

So as always and particular with FSX it's all about balance your system and when you go over it you will

see memory problems with flashing textures (3d objects) or other artifacts ;-)

Flashing can also occur in combination with the ENB mod and the green text bar in FSX and full screen...

I would ask the question over at the REX forums the guys over there will help you out.

Combine it with all users that have the same experience and maybe they have a solution for all fellow simmers out there ;-)

André

Howard

As much as I love Rex Ess and all it brings, I am beginning to have my doubts and am thinking also of reverting back to Rex OD too.

I have had a few issues with REX Ess:

Black screen (Occasionally) when entering menus for Accu feel & UT2

Black screen (Always) when Alt-Tabbing to use the weather radar, or any other program that I may want/need to use (windowed is not an option for me as I use only a single 19" monitor) and having to use Ctrl Alt & Del or Esc to get FSX back

Significant FPS loss and stuttering - and this is with using the 512 x 512 cloud and water textures not even considering the HD stuff.

I am currently in the middle of some testing and my initial conclusion is that it all relates to the weather engine - it appears, on my system anyway, to degrade my performance quite significantly as I can fly in heavy weather using the Rex Ess weather engine and suffer with low fps and stutters, but if i use FSX weather engine then i am locked at 30 fps solidly.....even if i select the stormy weather theme, or manually crank up the weather to heavy levels - my only answer thus far is, as I am using the same textures for clouds/water/sky etc, is that its the weather engine thats having the impact.

I have read the manual....once or twice anyway.... and have followed the installation instructions/advice on the forums to a tee (run as admin etc etc), and have defragged as per Nick N's advice (using O&O - Space, Complete/Name, Complete/Name, Space, Offline) and don't think I have missed anything really.

I am aware that a more advanced weather engine IS going to use more processor cycles, and I do love the new weather engine and all its bells & whistles, its just that I am a little surprised by how much it has affected my simming.

I'm not knocking it as tbh its great, I'm just a touch surprised as to how much more of an effect it has than Rex OD on mys system - as stated, when i've done some more testing, I'll post on their forums for some help.

Regards

Steve

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience with performance.

Using AS2012's weather engine as a constant, I used REX and AS2012 textures. Saw 3-4 FPS less using AS2012 textures.

Oddly enough, I had the opposite experience with performance.

Using AS2012's weather engine as a constant, I used REX and AS2012 textures. Saw 3-4 FPS less using AS2012 textures.

....and thats why I'm not jumping to any conclusions....added to the fact that my system is less than stellar although still trying to fathom why Res Ess hits my system so much more than Rex OD.

I'm still playing around with the plethora of settings to try and find a sweet spot, or to try and pinpoint particular settings that have more of an effect than others.....all part of the rich FSX tapestry me thinks!!!

Regards

Steve

I'm not a big addons fan because FSX is beautiful enough straight out of the box, beats me why people think they're supposed to overload it with new scenery and weather packages etc when they don't have to..;)

FSX is notoriously temperamental and adding stuff always carries a risk (think russian roulette), sometimes you get away with it, sometimes not.

@Scatterbrain "FSX is beautiful enough straight out of the box"...well, thats a first. :LMAO:

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

FSX is beautiful enough straight out of the box

Yup, that is an original statement as I doubt it has ever been said by anyone in AVSIM in the last six years! "True creativity" in it's purest original form... :db:

Kind regards,

Look at it this way guys:- if you're dating a gorgeous woman (FSX) and you keep trying to tell her to make herself look better (addons), she's likely to throw a tantrum and smack you in the kisser (like FSX might do if you mess with it too much)..:)

PS- hey wait a minute, you saw the word 'Newbie' above my avatar and think I really am a newbie! Nah not moi, i've been posting in gaming/simming forums for 10 years and was even an admin/mod myself as 'Poor Old Spike' at one place..:)

fgm-bannerB.png

I get those black squares with BP=0 in graphically busy areas (i.e. ORBX), maybe the addition of REX Essentials just pushed you over the edge, the thing that fixed it for me was a suggestion sometime back by a fellow AVSIM poster in the graphics subforum:

Try adding the following in your FSX.CFG [Display] section:

TextureMaxLoad=30 //stops black squares

--John near KPAE

Look at it this way guys:- if you're dating a gorgeous woman (FSX) and you keep trying to tell her to make herself look better (addons), she's likely to throw a tantrum and smack you in the kisser (like FSX might do if you mess with it too much)..:)

PS- hey wait a minute, you saw the word 'Newbie' above my avatar and think I really am a newbie! Nah not moi, i've been posting in gaming/simming forums for 10 years and was even an admin/mod myself as 'Poor Old Spike' at one place..:)

fgm-bannerB.png

Sure, I hear what you are saying BUT, I am effectively talking about my setup which has been running more or less, just how I want it. So, the only problems have occurred since running with Essentials... I will be doing some further tests soon.

I get those black squares with BP=0 in graphically busy areas (i.e. ORBX), maybe the addition of REX Essentials just pushed you over the edge, the thing that fixed it for me was a suggestion sometime back by a fellow AVSIM poster in the graphics subforum:

Try adding the following in your FSX.CFG [Display] section:

TextureMaxLoad=30 //stops black squares

Hi John, sadly no... I've tried the usual tweaks without success.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776