Sign in to follow this  
alainneedle1

You guys "wanna" see some cool light for FSX..

OMG!!! A Billy Bob video and he is QUIET!! What is the world coming to ?????????

:-)

Jay

Looks great, do anyone know if It's compitable with Orbx and TrafficX?

Keep in mind that the guy in that video had bloom on (something most of us can't do with DX9), and he also recorded his monitor with a camera (and not actually recording FSX with Fraps/etc.

Playback of something recorded with a camera is most always going to be brighter.

I run directx9 without bloom, are you saying It won't work with directx9?

No I'm saying dx9 users can't use bloom because it kills performance

Ah ok, but what I wanted to know if this product works without bloom in DX9. Don't use bloom as you said it kills performance.

Private Post

---------------

I've tried this product and maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lights just didn't look anything like those shown on the video. In fact I could hardly notice any difference at all between them being there and not being there. I saw tiny occasional squares of light on a few roads and what looked like a small amount of randomly distributed tiny dots of light on what I suppose were "villages",and that is also how the rather unimpressive product screenshots appear at simmarket.

I don't think I have a bad setup because UTX street lighting looks exactly as shown in their screenshots (a bit too blob-like and with not very convincing "traffic light" red and green blobs as well!)

Maybe enabling bloom makes these Experience X lights better, but as Bill points out, that amount of bloom destroys the clarity of cockpit instruments. I'd like to see a video or shots from anyone who has this product working convincingly without the need for extreme effects or bloom, before I throw in the towel and revert back to standard lighting.

What I don't see is anything like the regular, rounded street lights neatly lined up in twos on the streets as seen in the video just before landing. I'm wondering whether this product is reliant on the default halo bmp file in FSX\textures or whether the hundreds of textures it installs have the lights embedded in them?

Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I'm wondering whether this product is reliant on the default halo bmp file in FSX\textures or whether the hundreds of textures it installs have the lights embedded in them?

I dont have it but I would imagine that it relies on the default halo bmp and if you've changed it or used the AI light mod to get rid of the blob, then its possible that is why they might not look like the video. I'm thinking about getting this and haven't changed my default halo file so it will be interesting to see if it looks like the lights in the video. I noticed that the lights in the devlopers screen shot dont look to noticeable either so its hard to say.

You still have the default halo in your inventory you could test out to see if it makes a difference?

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You still have the default halo in your inventory you could test out to see if it makes a difference?

I've got a selection of halo bmps but I think the one I tried it with was the default.

Rob

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

I wonder if it's got the same problems as night lights especially when using nvidia inspector. I'm not sure what setting controls it but most of my third party airports' lights "pop" in and out depending on how close I get to the light.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Private Post

---------------

I've tried this product and maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lights just didn't look anything like those shown on the video.

Rob, I guess you didn't read what I wrote a few posts above.

The guy that made the video did two things to make the lights appear brighter then they really are:

- he turned on bloom, and based on the smoothness of the video he was running DX10, a mode that most pilots avoid because of all the bugs and complications

- he recorded the video by actually taking a video camera and shooting his computer monitor, then uploading the video digitally and posting it. Anytime you record something with a video camera it will distort actual colors/brightness of objects on playback

These two things made his video seem like the end-all-be-all of FSX nightlighting, when in fact it's anything but. My advice is stick with Ultimate Terrain night lighting. Easier on frames and still better then default.

I've found that neither Bloom nor Lens Flare is necessary to make it look okay, in fact it actually makes very little difference. I've just recorded a high def FRAPS video of the Experience 3D Lights over Seattle default terrain, and in it, I start with Bloom and Flare off, then pause it, turn them on, then pause it again and turn Flare and Bloom off again, and you will see that it doesn't really change much, in fact apart from the aircraft and some airport runway lights looking a bit different, the street lighting looks more or less the same with bloom and flare either on or off. It's all on DX9 too.

I'm uploading it to Youtube now, It'll be there in 30 minutes. Should be able to judge for yourselves what it looks like, it's a direct FRAPS screengrab, I've not tweaked the video in any way other than to add captions to it. Thus one thing which certainly true about the video at the start of this thread, and worth bearing in mind, is that shooting your monitor with a video camera certainly does make FSX look more realistic than a direct screen capture.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Here you go, stick it on HD 1080:

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Rob, I guess you didn't read what I wrote a few posts above.

The guy that made the video did two things to make the lights appear brighter then they really are:

Yup I saw your post, but I couldn't quite believe how different it looked with not only bloom but direct monitor recording. Actually I've done this myself in the past and forgot how over-contrasted and over-bright everything can look. I still can't understand why anyone would make such a lighting addon that...well...doesn't actually show any significant lighting, and I thought maybe the screenshots were absurdly understated. Now I realise they were accurate!

Oh well, back to the UTX lights (with a better halo bmp to get rid of the worst splodges of random green and red "traffic lights"!!).

Thx for taking the time to make and upload this vid Al. Was close to buying this product. But after watching this in 1080 definition. It doesn't really appear from what I saw on the original video posted by OP. Ah well, save the money for better add on airport.

p.s. but then again the thumbnail street lighting before i press start was really impressive, nearly fool me though :Big Grin: