Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alainneedle1

You guys "wanna" see some cool light for FSX..

That looks excellent. Just turned off my UTX night lighting because of the FPS hit and the fact that fixing the "AI landing lights blob" also dramatically reduced the size of UTX night lights to the point where you couldn't really see them (anyway it was always a little orange for my taste). So I'd be very interested to hear what people made of this one, especially as far as frame rate impact goes.

James

It does look very interesting. I guess my questions are

Does it work with 3rd party add ons?

What are the frame rates like.

I too am interested to see how the frame rate on this is, I hate flying at night with UTX lights on due to the FPS hit, but if this can somehow reduce the FPS hit on it, I'll definitely get it. It looks really good too.

I don't have UTX - mainly because of the FPS hit. I rarely fly at night because the environment isn't dark enough. If I use an ENB setting that darkens the nighttime world, city lights are too dark. The night shots in the video look perfect and my guess is he is using some sort of an ENB mod.

I find it strange that people think fsx night isn't dark enough, mine is pitch black. I have to increase brightness via nvidia panel to taxi. :D I guess it's monitor difference?

The video does look awesome, but I can't find any link to the website...

EDIT: Ah, OK found it.. http://secure.simmar...erience-x.phtml I've been on the SimMarket website and IMO the dev is doing himself a disservice, as the screenies they are using a samples are worse than useless. I've just emailed the guy anyway and asked about it's compatibility with UTX, GEX and FTX and also framerates.

It works with UT Europe, that I do know. and yes, you are right, the product screenshots on Simmarket are crap, I almost did not buy it because they looked so mediocre, but it is actually not a bad product. FPS affects are fairly minimal from what I have experienced. There are some comparison screenies on the thread from the other day in this forum about the product.

Al

Do you happen to have a link to the thread, Al? I tried searching for it, but could not find it. Also, do you have any information on the FPS hit of ExperienceX vs UTX Lighting?

While I'll admit the cityscape and airport ground lighting is superior, the glare, bloom and brightness in the cockpit is very offputting...

The attitude indicator is rendered completely useless and washed out!

While I'll admit the cityscape and airport ground lighting is superior, the glare, bloom and brightness in the cockpit is very offputting...

The attitude indicator is rendered completely useless and washed out!

Could be edited video. These days everyone uploading FSX videos is "George Lucas". Your sim will look nothing like that.

Keep in mind that the guy in that video had bloom on (something most of us can't do with DX9), and he also recorded his monitor with a camera (and not actually recording FSX with Fraps/etc.

Playback of something recorded with a camera is most always going to be brighter.

OMG!!! A Billy Bob video and he is QUIET!! What is the world coming to ?????????

:-)

Looks great, do anyone know if It's compitable with Orbx and TrafficX?

Keep in mind that the guy in that video had bloom on (something most of us can't do with DX9), and he also recorded his monitor with a camera (and not actually recording FSX with Fraps/etc.

Playback of something recorded with a camera is most always going to be brighter.

I run directx9 without bloom, are you saying It won't work with directx9?

No I'm saying dx9 users can't use bloom because it kills performance

Ah ok, but what I wanted to know if this product works without bloom in DX9. Don't use bloom as you said it kills performance.

Private Post

---------------

I've tried this product and maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lights just didn't look anything like those shown on the video. In fact I could hardly notice any difference at all between them being there and not being there. I saw tiny occasional squares of light on a few roads and what looked like a small amount of randomly distributed tiny dots of light on what I suppose were "villages",and that is also how the rather unimpressive product screenshots appear at simmarket.

I don't think I have a bad setup because UTX street lighting looks exactly as shown in their screenshots (a bit too blob-like and with not very convincing "traffic light" red and green blobs as well!)

Maybe enabling bloom makes these Experience X lights better, but as Bill points out, that amount of bloom destroys the clarity of cockpit instruments. I'd like to see a video or shots from anyone who has this product working convincingly without the need for extreme effects or bloom, before I throw in the towel and revert back to standard lighting.

What I don't see is anything like the regular, rounded street lights neatly lined up in twos on the streets as seen in the video just before landing. I'm wondering whether this product is reliant on the default halo bmp file in FSX\textures or whether the hundreds of textures it installs have the lights embedded in them?

Rob

I'm wondering whether this product is reliant on the default halo bmp file in FSX\textures or whether the hundreds of textures it installs have the lights embedded in them?

I dont have it but I would imagine that it relies on the default halo bmp and if you've changed it or used the AI light mod to get rid of the blob, then its possible that is why they might not look like the video. I'm thinking about getting this and haven't changed my default halo file so it will be interesting to see if it looks like the lights in the video. I noticed that the lights in the devlopers screen shot dont look to noticeable either so its hard to say.

You still have the default halo in your inventory you could test out to see if it makes a difference?

You still have the default halo in your inventory you could test out to see if it makes a difference?

I've got a selection of halo bmps but I think the one I tried it with was the default.

Rob

I wonder if it's got the same problems as night lights especially when using nvidia inspector. I'm not sure what setting controls it but most of my third party airports' lights "pop" in and out depending on how close I get to the light.

Private Post

---------------

I've tried this product and maybe I'm doing something wrong but the lights just didn't look anything like those shown on the video.

Rob, I guess you didn't read what I wrote a few posts above.

The guy that made the video did two things to make the lights appear brighter then they really are:

- he turned on bloom, and based on the smoothness of the video he was running DX10, a mode that most pilots avoid because of all the bugs and complications

- he recorded the video by actually taking a video camera and shooting his computer monitor, then uploading the video digitally and posting it. Anytime you record something with a video camera it will distort actual colors/brightness of objects on playback

These two things made his video seem like the end-all-be-all of FSX nightlighting, when in fact it's anything but. My advice is stick with Ultimate Terrain night lighting. Easier on frames and still better then default.