Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kannwar

FSX Realistic Night!

Hi guys, I happened upon this awesome little tool today by accident doing a Google search - has anyone seen it?? It is called FXAA Post Process Injection Tool and here is a video:

So far it has transformed my night-time environment and I am so happy to finally have gotten rid of the over-bright ground issue that was always bugging me with FSX. Using ENB to try and contrive a decent night environment by messing with brightness settings is no longer necessary! What i am seeing is rural areas that are dark and difficult to make out (as they are in real life every time I've flown at night) and the city lights are still bright and bold! And the best thing is I can set the sim back to day time and it still looks like daytime without me having to mess around with my monitor's brightness and color settings. It also claims to be able to inject high levels of AA with minimal performance impact although I haven't tested this. It does bloom, HDR and other things that I know nothing about.

You can download the file FXAAToolHG6.zip from here:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa-pp-inject/documents

I simply copied the files into my FSX directory and launched the adjustment tool it comes with. All I've done is to turn off AA and HDR as I'm mostly interested in the colour and shading aspects at the moment. So far I've not touched a single setting and it works great! I'm sure all the wonderful people in these forums will be able to fiddle with the settings and get some awesome results out of this little gem.

Give it a go and let us know how you find it. I think this could possibly be a great alternative to both Shade and ENB.

jeez... that looks excellent! Can't believe it's the same old FSX )

I have similar night lighting for FS2004 (well, only darkness) thanks to ENB.

Looks very nice in the video.

Will give it a shot later today. Thanks for the information!

Cheers

Well what id does exactly ?... would be nice to have comparison shots with REX only and REX + FXAAT to see the difference.....

So i put all these files in my FSX Folder, run the Ex and set it up, exit it then run FSX and it will work? What do i do about the Nvidia Profile I already have for FSX...turn off AA in it?

Does this work on ATI cards? Downloaded and installed it but it didn't do anything, I have Radeon 6990.

well, it's supposedly based on Nvidia FXAA...so I assume it wont work with ATI?

So i put all these files in my FSX Folder, run the Ex and set it up, exit it then run FSX and it will work? What do i do about the Nvidia Profile I already have for FSX...turn off AA in it?

no...you can leave the AA on in the driver...but you need to run the FXAA tool and turn off AA in there or else the effects wont work.

What's it suppose to do? I can't see much change with out a side by side compare.

use the "pause" key on your keyboard after entering fsx to toggle the effect on/off and you should see the difference in lighting/shading/colors in fsx...if you do this and dont see any difference then you didnt install correctly

Wow. That looks beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Anybody know what the airport / scenery is at the beginning of the vid?

It seems that most of my lighter colours are washed out during the daytime (i.e. my NGX wings look almost like a solid colour)...any thoughts what settings need to be fiddled with?

Also, anyone else getting the screen flashing red when switching between views?

To confirm this does not work with ATI cards? I would want to use it the same as the OP, just for the color stuff.

It seems that most of my lighter colours are washed out during the daytime (i.e. my NGX wings look almost like a solid colour)...any thoughts what settings need to be fiddled with?

Also, anyone else getting the screen flashing red when switching between views?

Hi regis9 what video card are you using? Have you altered the colour settings or gamma levels in your video card's control panel at all? From what I've seen so far this program's initial settings are very conservative for daytime.

To confirm this does not work with ATI cards? I would want to use it the same as the OP, just for the color stuff.

To be honest I hadn't considered the Nvidia/ATI thing. I'm using a GTX580 - is there anything on the software's website that talks about which devices are compatible? Sorry I've got my hands tied right now and can't check.

Glad some of you are enjoying this so far =).

Yep, thanks for this hint.

It's much more comfortable and functional than ENB Mod without any framehit so far!

This is outstanding! There's so much choice for the user and much nicer on frames than ENB ever was.

For those experiencing the colours being washed, run the tool and change the intensity of HDR (or turn it off). It's a little trial and error, but the effects you can achieve are VASTLY better than that of ENB.

Thanks for the nice hint! Could somebody explain again, how he did the installation please? I copied the files to the FSX main directory and pressed the pause button in flight, but I do not see any changes...

Thanks in advance!

But does this work in DX10 mode...thats what i want to know

Also..you talk about turning off AA...i assume you mean Anti Aliasing..and why in the world would anyone do that?

im going to give this a try and see.

to the OP, what theme are you using in REX if any, and how did you make this video as if you were static in the air. i saw the slew but were you flying a plane or something? sorry if its a noob question

Also..you talk about turning off AA...i assume you mean Anti Aliasing..and why in the world would anyone do that?

he meant turn it off in the tool, you are still running the AA that you have turned on inside nvidia inspector.

A quick look on the sim running ATI cards and I didn't see any difference. Perhaps, I haven't really sunk my teeth into all the settings properly.

Hopefully, it actually works and I'm not just making a fool of myself. Haha

I also followed the install instructions precisely, flushed the shaders cache, turned off AA in the tool, but see no change when pressing the pause key..