Sign in to follow this  
kannwar

FSX Realistic Night!

Precisely !!

Many might say #1 looks better -- it is CLEARER and Sharper, but that is only an optical illusion.

The 2nd One is actually a real work Photo, and the 1st one is Photoshopped, to alter the color balance only ( mainly reduce the UV Blue )

My point being, to try to achieve the "best" results in the Sim, one could be tempted to use a tool like this to make the scene look "better", but not necessarily more "Realistic"

I would generally agree but the main issue in FSX, as the title of the thread states, is the night lighting. With vanilla FSX, the clouds, land and sea are way too bright. You can actually see the greens and browns in the ground textures in the middle of the night where the ground should actually be black. CTD's aside, the problem with ENB is in order for it do darken the clouds, sea and land to provide a realistic night environment, it also darkened the panel and the street lighting. This tool, with Word Not Allowed's settings seems to provide the best of both worlds.

As a test, I just took off from TFFJ at night and once I got over the water, I couldn't tell if I was climbing, descending, turning... without looking at the instruments. The panel, however was still bright.

This may be a winner but it still seems that have a impact on performance. I'm getting short pauses from time to time but they are not a deal breaker.

Just to be clear, I should leave 8XS AA and FXAA on in NI, right?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Thanks heaps Word Not Allowed looking forward to trying it. I'm on a poor quality work monitor but I can tell the ones that are PPIT are slightly more defined and the colours stand out much better.

Exactly. There is a small amount of bloom, and some darkening to make colors stand out a bit more, a little bit saturatioin, with a bit of light sepia tone.

Word Not Allowed was this on the Yamakasi?

Yes. Why?

Finally got it working! Amazing piece of program and is FREE! Don't even need to launch shade now. Thx Steven!

To summarize the step I took:

1. Download the installer Steve provided http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/131
  2. Install preset 1 and select your fsx main directory.
  3. Go into Nvidia Inspector select Nvidia Predefined FXAA Usage : Allowed, Toggle FXAA Indicator on or off : OFF, Toggle FXAA on or off : On
  4. Start FSX and uncheck internal AA
  5. To toggle on or off press Pause/Break key on the keyboard. (Don't know why you want it off as it look so good as it is :lol: )

Because im going to try it on mine :)

Ahhhh ^_^

the problem with ENB is in order for it do darken the clouds, sea and land to provide a realistic night environment, it also darkened the panel and the street lighting. This tool, with Word Not Allowed's settings seems to provide the best of both worlds.

It is still always going to be a compromise. The tool is altering the rendering of the final FSX composite rendering output, before it goes to the screen.

The FSX's DirectX image is made up of multiple 3D layers, ie the cockpit, the outside scenery, the items in the scenery, the clouds etc etc. FSX controls each of these with individual internal FSX Shaders.

Ideally, it is these FSX Shaders that need to be individually Tweaked and altered, to independently alter each aspect of the final FSX scene.

Then, and only then, will one be able to control each element in the image separately, and in real time, as a function of what is going on in the sim.

The FSX's DirectX image is made up of multiple 3D layers, ie the cockpit, the outside scenery, the items in the scenery, the clouds etc etc. FSX controls each of these with individual internal FSX Shaders.

Ideally, it is these FSX Shaders that need to be individually Tweaked and altered, to independently alter each aspect of the final FSX scene.

Then, and only then, will one be able to control each element in the image separately, and in real time, as a function of what is going on in the sim.

Amen

Looks pretty cool... I am getting a 2 FPS hit. Not that bad.

5Take Care, Will Clark

My computer: Intel 14900K, Motherboard ROR Maximus Z790 Formula, PSU Dark Power 1600, Ram DDR5 (7200) Vengeance 32GB CL38, ASUS 4090, Keyboard Logitech ASUS, Mouse ROCCAT LEADR Wireless, Corsair M.2 SSD 4TB x2, Headset Astro A50 Wireless, Microphone Elgato Wave 3, Stream Deck Elgato XL, GoXLR, Loopdeck Live, Chair Steelcase Gesture with Headrest, Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG White, Custom Built water cooling, Ek Lian li xl distro plate, Fittings EK & Bitspower, Monitor LG C1 48 OLED, Desk Speakers Audio Engine A5+ White.

I'm gonna clean up my FSX today and will give this bad boy a shot..wish me luck B)

Cielosim-Sig.png

Repaint Requests - Get your OWN custom repaint

It is still always going to be a compromise.

Everything in FS is a compromise. Still, it seems like this tool is doing a better job at darkening the outside world without making the cockpit too dark. I have no idea if this is happening on a technical level but it looks like it is achieving better results in my eyes.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

What does one have to do to see the changes made by the tool's sliders. ?

They do not appear to operate in "real time" on my setup .. maybe I have something set wrong ?

On my setup, the Tool is defiantly processing the Video, and can be turned on/off by the Pause/Break key.

While it does alter the outside darkness levels at night, I am finding that the corresponding effects within the cockpit are quite undesirable.

But then, I must be the odd one out, as I have always maintained that typically the Nigh-time outside view is too DARK, and the cockpit lighting is far too bright.

Then again, IF the cockpit lighting was really as bright as it appears in FSX, there goes your Night Vision, and everything outside does go dark !!

I am also finding that when using the previously mentioned Preset 1, that a dark, clear night's sky looses all the stars. They should be relatively bright pinpoints of light, and fill the sky.

You should also be able to clearly see the Milky Way .. it is there in FSX, but typically, below the black level of most monitor/video/shader setups.

------

Real world photo of Milky way in night's sky just before dawn.

Milky_Way_April_22_2009_SMALL.jpg

Seems to be causing crashes at times when switching from windowed to full screen or back. Lost three flights as a result so ultimately I'll have to do without.

- Aaron

What does one have to do to see the changes made by the tool's sliders.

Changing from full screen to windowed and back will activate changes. Ive also found acessing the menu bar, like FSUIPC and back will change it.

But then, I must be the odd one out, as I have always maintained that typically the Nigh-time outside view is too DARK, and the cockpit lighting is far too bright.

I tend to agree. Its all just a matter of visual personal preference. I tried this along time ago and didn't really liked the effects. Again, preference. I experimented with the preset 1 and 2. Nightime was way dark and daytime was as though I was wearing my Indigo Oakleys. :)

After a bit of use, I noticed that when using EZCA for view switching, I experience, beside the stuttery change, an additional black flash between every switch. It's nothing life threathening, but it's annoying. Also when some text appears, like parking brake or something else on the top, also the screen is going to do a weird flash. But not always.

Srdan, I saw that on ENB as well... particularly noticable on the NGX when initializing... As the seconds counted down there was a flesh every time the info bar refreshed...

Just trying this one out now...

A