Sign in to follow this  
Kaly

Orbx England What Do You Think?

"personally" it feels it was a bit rushed, some 3d landmark models included are a bit crude and some have missing poly's BUT at least they are there!

I'd agree with that.

There are some significant omissions and some towns have no "centre" being just a suburban sprawl. It looks a bit like a book that hasn't been properly proof read. Lots of I's to be dotted and t's to be crossed still and lots of cases where textures needed better blending or have "smeared over edges". There are some silly mistakes in placement too. There's only one Woolwich ferry and it's alongside it's loading jetty rather than on the end of it. The other one is making it's way upstream towards Tower Bridge.

Some of the reasonable 3D models would look a whole lot better if the colours were de-saturated too so that they blended in rather than stood out. Some of the textures and colours are just wrong in places and careless placement of trees and textures have spoilt wilder areas that other ORBX regions have excelled at.

I do hope the team will tidy up things that customers flag up and issue a patch or two?

The real Irony to me is that it looks much better from a few thousand feet but that is the very level that photoreal starts to come in to its own. The road and rail networks are pretty much spot on but often missing 3D features spoils that too. No elevated tracks or roads and bridges missing everywhere. That may sound trivial but for "eyeballing it" such things help navigate.

If they'd copied the UK2000VFR airfield regions rather than go for a political split of the UK I think they could have spent more time on perfecting the techniques perhaps? More hands on a smaller task? Folk would still have bought 3 rather than 2 regions (for England and Wales) if they knew the detail was going to be there?

As it stands it does look rushed frankly.

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Guest kannwar

I'd agree with that.

There are some significant omissions and some towns have no "centre" being just a suburban sprawl. It looks a bit like a book that hasn't been properly proof read. Lots of I's to be dotted and t's to be crossed still and lots of cases where textures needed better blending or have "smeared over edges". There are some silly mistakes in placement too. There's only one Woolwich ferry and it's alongside it's loading jetty rather than on the end of it. The other one is making it's way upstream towards Tower Bridge.

Some of the reasonable 3D models would look a whole lot better if the colours were de-saturated too so that they blended in rather than stood out. Some of the textures and colours are just wrong in places and careless placement of trees and textures have spoilt wilder areas that other ORBX regions have excelled at.

I do hope the team will tidy up things that customers flag up and issue a patch or two?

The real Irony to me is that it looks much better from a few thousand feet but that is the very level that photoreal starts to come in to its own. The road and rail networks are pretty much spot on but often missing 3D features spoils that too. No elevated tracks or roads and bridges missing everywhere. That may sound trivial but for "eyeballing it" such things help navigate.

If they'd copied the UK2000VFR airfield regions rather than go for a political split of the UK I think they could have spent more time on perfecting the techniques perhaps? More hands on a smaller task? Folk would still have bought 3 rather than 2 regions (for England and Wales) if they knew the detail was going to be there?

As it stands it does look rushed frankly.

Geoff

Ah the curses of knowing the area too well. I'm lucky in that I have never been to England so I don't know to be upset at all these things. I certainly understand all your points though and they make for very interesting reading. As a matter of fact I was highly disappointed with their rendition of Hawkes Bay (my home area) in their NZNI scenery. There was so much missing in terms of recognizable landmarks that lots of people around NZ would probably be aware of. For me too since I mostly fly "tubeliners" (why are they called that?) I'll be able to appreciate the more authentic feel and variety of the textures over the UTX/GEX combo that I've been using for so long.

I really hope they offer some patches to improve things in the way you are talking about - would be cool if you could post these suggestions on their forums but from what I've read it's probably just more likely to get you banned?

It is what it is...a base package. Now dig deep guys and get ready for all those forthcoming machine stopping addon airfiellds.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I am starting to repeat myself but... this addon isn't rushed or worse then others. The people who don't like it that much and/or are disappointed are those who actually live there. Now they finally found out how Orbx scenery relates to reality. I really think that's just it. They liked the previous regions more because they didn't know those regions. They didn't know what was missing and it looked great overall. Well, so does England. To me, someone who doesn't actually know the region (been there only once), it looks great and just as good, if not better, then previous addons. I do think that England has even more landmarks 'out of the box' then some other regions did...!

You can not expect a region of this size to have correct landmarks all over the place. Heck, you can't even expect that with the Orbx addon airports, which usually are photoreal and have detailed buildings: even there things are missing! And those are very small addons when it comes to the land they cover!

I wouldn't expect Orbx to improve this all a lot. This is how it is and this is how it (sort of) always has been. This region is NOT rushed, it's one of their best. You are simply expecting WAY (WAY WAY WAY) too much... ^_^

I'll be able to appreciate the more authentic feel and variety of the textures over the UTX/GEX combo that I've been using for so long.

I really hope they offer some patches to improve things in the way you are talking about - would be cool if you could post these suggestions on their forums but from what I've read it's probably just more likely to get you banned?

Let's be clear about my points, it's a vast improvement over the combo you mention that I've been using too ....but it does suffer from some of that combos faults still :unsure: and perhaps that's more noticeable with UK and NZ terrain where it lacks the spectacular terrain of the rockies or NZSI?.

FTX has a huge fan base and most folk posting here have made a considerable investment in their add-ons. When your competitors fans criticise your product you may reason that they weren't "coming on board anyway"? When your supporters criticise it you ought to pay attention? Banning critics is as stupid and futile as shooting the messenger. :huh: You may not agreee with some criticisms, you may not be able to easily address some because of the techniques used or the limitations of the sim but IF you listen and address the bits that can be addressed and engage in dialogue about those that are not fixable you gain respect and accolades. :clapping:

It is what it is...a base package. Now dig deep guys and get ready for all those forthcoming machine stopping addon airfiellds.

....but it's not unique in being a base package for the UK ....and further more many of the UK's airfields and airports have been done to a pretty high standard already. All the more reason to make the "base package" truly "Stunning/Awsome/Amazing" etc. etc. The best FTX airport add-ons for any region so far are IMO the ones that have also provided better detail to local areas and landmarks around the field too.

There's a couple of old sayings that developers ought to keep in mind perhaps regarding critics? "Not everybody who agrees with you is necessarily your friend and not everybody who disagrees with you is necessarily your enemy." and "Be nice to everyone on the way up .....because you're sure to meet them all on the way down".

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Two shots of West Hanningfield reservoir, first from real life:

hanningfield1.jpg

...and from Orbx:

hanningfield2.jpg

Not too bad... :smile:

Great shots, Ron. If you're out that way again, I wonder if you could take a screenie of my home town, Maldon? I'd be interested to see how the Blackwater Estuary is rendered.

Many thanks

Gary

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Currently my only issue is that I've 'lost' all the landmark buildings in London even when I revert back to default London is bare! I've some work to do to at lease get back the default scenery, so some rebuilding of the scenery.cfg is next on my list. But got to go out arghhhh. All was well before I installed the new ORBX England so IT has done something.

While I have never been to England,I am quite impressed with what Orbx has done with this scenery.

Regards

I am starting to repeat myself but... this addon isn't rushed or worse then others. The people who don't like it that much and/or are disappointed are those who actually live there. Now they finally found out how Orbx scenery relates to reality. I really think that's just it. They liked the previous regions more because they didn't know those regions. They didn't know what was missing and it looked great overall. Well, so does England. To me, someone who doesn't actually know the region (been there only once), it looks great and just as good, if not better, then previous addons. I do think that England has even more landmarks 'out of the box' then some other regions did...!

You can not expect a region of this size to have correct landmarks all over the place. Heck, you can't even expect that with the Orbx addon airports, which usually are photoreal and have detailed buildings: even there things are missing! And those are very small addons when it comes to the land they cover!

I wouldn't expect Orbx to improve this all a lot. This is how it is and this is how it (sort of) always has been. This region is NOT rushed, it's one of their best. You are simply expecting WAY (WAY WAY WAY) too much... ^_^

I tend to agree with you on this one

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hi all. Thanks for your time and effort to discuss issues and gripes that you may or may not have with EU ENG. Please Please Please, if there is something you feel is "just not right" with "your" Areas i would urge you to post a screenie of so called issue or missing town, we are working so hard to improve what we have created so far. There WILL be a patch (Cant give timeframe on that sorry) ((but it is being worked on as we speak) and the more feedback with screenshots, the more we can try to make it even better for you. I only found this post by scanning the net for issues not being posted on the Orbx forums. We Know how much it means to you to have an enjoyable and exciting experience whilst flying, I do too. I cant promise every issue will be resolved, but i can promise that we are working our socks off, and will continue to do so to try and get things as best and accurate as we can within the limitations of FSX.

Keep smiling, keep flying and keep us informed of things you would like to see. We do listen ;)

Keith Lewis (UK DEV TEAM)

Hi Keith,

Great to see your post and it's reassuring. Obviously some stuff will be beyond what's possible (?) and some may require additional 3D which isn't going to be a quick fix but knowing that the team is interested in tweaking and improving is a huge plus in my book.

I did sort out some screengrabs on my main box but will try and organise some real shots to illustrate what may be helpful in relation to these.

My own experience so far has improved tremendously by some careful tweaking of sliders but there are still areas that hasn't helped. I'll try and get some shots up ASAP.

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Brown

Well I think some people's expectations have run a bit unrealistically high to be honest.

I'm in the North East of England, so I am not judging areas in the South and particularly London, with pin point accuracy (for a £26 product covering an area as large as this).

I think it looks absolutely fantastic! ........... a MASSIVE upgrade on default FSX England, and a HUGE upgrade even, on UTX/GEX England (that I had been flying with).

I also prefer it to the Horizon VFR scenery that I also have.

It looks convincingly England-like, has great frames, and is a beautiful match with OPUS weather, giving a really real feeling England, that I'd dreamed of and hoped for.

Beautiful job. Great interaction with my UK2000 Xtreme Airports too.

I mainly fly National and Regional flights, IFR, so maybe that's why the fact that every single VRP is not placed, does not upset me.

Along with OPUS, the NGX, and the RA Turbine Duke, it's the best thing I've bought for FSX. Period.

I am happy with the performance I am getting out of it. I can fly out of London City in the Carenado B200 with better performance compared to flying in FTX Seattle or Sydney.

Matthew Kane