Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

calypso

Moving FS2004 to a Windows 8 computer - some hints

Greetings from sunny Switzerland. Picked up a new machine two weeks ago. I had previously been running FS2004 on an old Dell XPS for nine years with Windows XP Pro. My FS installation was huge and I dreaded the though of it dying on me and having to start from scratch.

Anyway, the new beast came loaded with Windows 8 so I stated to plan the "transfer" of Fs2004.

First thing I did was install FS2004 from the original disks (yes, I found them). No problem there. I even let it install in the Program Files (x86) directory.

I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this.

Rather than reinstall each add-on aircraft and scenery, I then decided to copy all my Gauges, Effects and Mesh/Landclass directories to the new Windows 8 installation. A large capacity USB drive is essential for this exercise.

Since I had literally hundreds of aircraft in my old installation, I also decided to limit the number of aircraft in the new system to those I flew the most. Simple aircraft can be copied straight across to the Aircraft directory (don't need to worry about Gauges and Effects as they are already in place).

I started with Project Tupolev's wonderful Tu-154. The installer would not work in W8, so I just copied the files across. Important to include the developers' folders in the new FS9 root directory.

It flies beautifully in W8. Good Start.

Other aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-62, Feelthere's Airbus and 737 also installed successfully as did the older 727-200, 737-200, AFG's Caravelle III etc.

Add-on scenery also copies across, although some, like FlyTampa and Aerosoft loaded in successfully using the makers' installers.

I also have the blank picture for the loading screen, but I can certainly live with that.

FS2004 running on a fast quad core i7 is a joy to behold. Smooth and very high frame rates with all sliders maxed out.

It will be a long process but at least I will be able to continue flying if my old computer dies on me.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You may be one of the first to get FS9 running successfully in W8, great work.

I'm about to start the same transformation so hopefully it goes as smoothly as yours did! (I just cant live without the PMDG Beech 1900)

Hi Calypso! "I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this." how exactly do you do this? as i`m also looking at a change from my old XP system.

Cheers from sunny South Africa @ FAPE! :rolleyes:

I'm about to start the same transformation so hopefully it goes as smoothly as yours did! (I just cant live without the PMDG Beech 1900)

Hi Calypso! "I then gave the FS directory full access and security rights. Important this." how exactly do you do this? as i`m also looking at a change from my old XP system.

Cheers from sunny South Africa @ FAPE! :rolleyes:

Why don't you guys go with Windows 7 as it's a much easier transition and well documented in these forums? You can order a PC from Dell or HP requesting Windows 7 as your OS.

I applauded John as people have had a hard enough time getting FSX to run in Windows 8 let alone FS9. I personally wouldn't bother with 8 and although they sell it with new PC's today there's always the option of getting a new PC with Windows 7. Windows 8 has some serious quirks to it when used with Flight Simulator (at least that's what's reported). You guys are truly in uncharted territory with 8 but if you so choose to go that route and be pioneers we'll all watch with great interest. B) :rolleyes:

Hi ja99 and Dillon.

If you RIGHT click on the main FS9 folder, hit properties and then the Security tab. Make sure all the boxes are ticked under all the categories.

Use the Edit button to make your changes.

Dell and HP carry a premium price here in Switzerland. I paid less than half of what they charge for a similar spec machine (see my signature).

From what I've read on the Web, Windows 8 is a superior operating system (to Windows 7) once you bypass the Metro part of it. Faster and with a much smaller footprint in terms of resource requirements..

I started with Project Tupolev's wonderful Tu-154. The installer would not work in W8, so I just copied the files across. Important to include the developers' folders in the new FS9 root directory.

It flies beautifully in W8. Good Start.

Other aircraft like the Ilyushin Il-62, Feelthere's Airbus and 737 also installed successfully as did the older 727-200, 737-200, AFG's Caravelle III etc.

Add-on scenery also copies across, although some, like FlyTampa and Aerosoft loaded in successfully using the makers' installers.

I also have the blank picture for the loading screen, but I can certainly live with that.

FS2004 running on a fast quad core i7 is a joy to behold. Smooth and very high frame rates with all sliders maxed out.

It will be a long process but at least I will be able to continue flying if my old computer dies on me.

Excellent news! Especially about the PT Tu-154. I've been wondering if it and the tons of other stuff I have will work properly in W8.

Hi Ryan,

PMDG's 747-499 installed with no problems on Windows 8.

Aircraft installed successfully so far are:

Tupolev Tu-154-B2 (Project Tupolev)

Tupolev 154-M (Project Tupolev)

Ilyushin Il-62M (Project Tupolev)

Tupolev Tu-134 (SCS)

Airbus (Feelthere PIC Series 1 and 2)

Boeing 737 (Feelthere PIC)

Sud Aviation Caravelle III (AVG)

Lockheed 1011 Tristar (Aerosoft)

Vickers Super VC-10 (David Maltby)

Boeing 737-200 (TinMouse)

Hi ja99 and Dillon.

If you RIGHT click on the main FS9 folder, hit properties and then the Security tab. Make sure all the boxes are ticked under all the categories.

Use the Edit button to make your changes.

Dell and HP carry a premium price here in Switzerland. I paid less than half of what they charge for a similar spec machine (see my signature).

From what I've read on the Web, Windows 8 is a superior operating system (to Windows 7) once you bypass the Metro part of it. Faster and with a much smaller footprint in terms of resource requirements..

I for one am so glad you've gottten FS9 working in W8 as that proves we have much more life in the software. I think I speak for many in saying thank you for your effort. Your work helps us all move forward in keeping this hobby alive.

I can attest to the fact that the iFly 737 does not work in windows 8. I did an install on a win 8 machine and then downgraded to win 7.

Hi,

Can you give me the benefit of your experiences on running FS9 on a windows 8 setup, I still run FS9 on my old XP machine, after all these years,cannot imagine life without it, it's so much more flexible,and accessible than FSX, although I have FSX on a more modern windows 7 machine.

I have installed FS9 on the windows 7 computer, but,frankly the texture and general graphics reproduction is not as good as on the XP setup.

I would be very interested in other simmers experiences.

Regards

Mike

Am I missing something here? If you go to the bother and expense of buying a fast new computer, why not install FSX instead of FS9, as I assume the new computer will run it. Or is there a problem with FSX and Windows 8?

I have almost two month's experience with my new Dell computer, running FS9 on the Windows 8 OS. My basic elements are FS9 enhanced with FScene and REX; many Carenado GA planes, the MAAM-Sim military planes, and many of the best freeware planes and airports. I get a consistent 55-60 FPS with sliders on the next-to-highest settings. Rex is the one I have to watch because their big beautiful cumulus storm clouds can bog any machine down. I will sometimes back off the cloud settings a bit if I will be panning views in heavy weather. On the other hand, the Air Scheffel 737-800 can use good clouds because it does not employ a virtual cockpit. My cross-country trips in that plane can have some amazing weather. Did I mention that the video card is a middling AMD?

The best thing I have done is make a few config changes in the scenery setting. Many of these are controllable within the games settings, of course. You can find settings suggestion on the REX forum, although they recommend a limit of 30 fps and I prefer 60 fpm to get smoother VC panning.

There are a few glitches that I simply work around:

The MAAM-SIM B-25 and DC-3 won't start at 60fps. This is a well-known problem liked to AMD cards. You can change the fps to 30; start any other plane first and then switch planes; or, you can start the MAAM planes in zoom (Y-key) and then do a quick press of the up (F3)and down (F1)keys to auto start the planes, and then key out of the zoom mode.

Also, I don't get 3-D views of the planes in the menu mode unless I switch to Windows mode. That is minor also.

Everything else is fine...no CTD's or anything like that.

My setup is far superior to stock FSX due to the nice add-ons I chose. My FSX is gathering dust somewhere. Use the hints above regarding permissions if you plan to tinker with anything in the software. Windows 8 has everything secured real tight with permissions required.

I have almost two month's experience with my new Dell computer, running FS9 on the Windows 8 OS. My basic elements are FS9 enhanced with FScene and REX; many Carenado GA planes, the MAAM-Sim military planes, and many of the best freeware planes and airports. I get a consistent 55-60 FPS with sliders on the next-to-highest settings. Rex is the one I have to watch because their big beautiful cumulus storm clouds can bog any machine down. I will sometimes back off the cloud settings a bit if I will be panning views in heavy weather. On the other hand, the Air Scheffel 737-800 can use good clouds because it does not employ a virtual cockpit. My cross-country trips in that plane can have some amazing weather. Did I mention that the video card is a middling AMD?

The best thing I have done is make a few config changes in the scenery setting. Many of these are controllable within the games settings, of course. You can find settings suggestion on the REX forum, although they recommend a limit of 30 fps and I prefer 60 fpm to get smoother VC panning.

There are a few glitches that I simply work around:

The MAAM-SIM B-25 and DC-3 won't start at 60fps. This is a well-known problem liked to AMD cards. You can change the fps to 30; start any other plane first and then switch planes; or, you can start the MAAM planes in zoom (Y-key) and then do a quick press of the up (F3)and down (F1)keys to auto start the planes, and then key out of the zoom mode.

Also, I don't get 3-D views of the planes in the menu mode unless I switch to Windows mode. That is minor also.

Everything else is fine...no CTD's or anything like that.

My setup is far superior to stock FSX due to the nice add-ons I chose. My FSX is gathering dust somewhere. Use the hints above regarding permissions if you plan to tinker with anything in the software. Windows 8 has everything secured real tight with permissions required.

Unfortunately i have no idea what permissions are or how to use them. Also, one of my throttles does not show a full range of motion. (saitek)

Am I missing something here? If you go to the bother and expense of buying a fast new computer, why not install FSX instead of FS9, as I assume the new computer will run it. Or is there a problem with FSX and Windows 8?

It's likely he prefers FS9. Considering current investment in his FS9 it makes sense to keep it unless you have the $$ to build up FSX.

Jas

Right you are. Without getting into a debate on the merits of each program, why would I start over with the cost of add-ons? Granted, the FS9 add-ons are forever limited by obsolescense, but there will always be the difference in performance on a given system. Here's an example; my brother recently built a state of the art graphics system to run photo imaging software. I gave him my FSX to try out. He was unable to get anywhere near the performance he would expect from it, even though he had just invested approximately $2500 in the very best hardware available. My computer was $800 and runs FS9 at 60 fps.

Well just my opinion, but there is no comparison between the two. I think FSX runs much better and smoother and the scenery is better. I bought a new computer three years ago with the following specs as suggested by a relative who is a senior engineer at HP. This was a standard build up on the HP website and was not that expensive. And I want to tell you FSX screams on it with the scenery sliders all the way to the right. It never crashes or stutters or freezes and I now have tons of add-ons. I think a couple of must haves are Windows 7/64b and an Nvidia graphics card. You will notice that my card is not that fast and is now three years old but I consistently get 50 to 75 fps in unlimited mode. The worst case is on the ground at KSEA where it gets about 25 to 30. I am sure you can buy the same thing today for about $1,000.00 US. Here are the specs.

Purchased Feb. 2010

HP model HPE-180t

Processor – Intel Core i7 CPU Quad core -950 @ 3.07 GHz

Number of processing cores - 4

Installed memory – 9.0 GB RAM DDR3-1066MHZ SDRAM (5 DIMMs)

Operating System – Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Graphics –1.8 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260

One TB hard drive RAID0 (two 500 GB SATA HDDs for performance

Premium Wireless-N LAN card

Integrated 7.1 channel sound card with front audioport

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit operating system

HP wireless keyboard and mouse

Lightscribe 16X Max DVD+/-R/RW Super Multidrive

Get as many USB connectors as you can. Mine has four on the back and four on the front.

Anyhow, that is just my opinion, but I respect you for yours.

Well, my storywith windows 8 is not 100% great at this moment.

Since i will move from Spain to Brazil en 2 months, i had to sell my pc, and bought this laptop, and it´s awesome for all the things, the best thing is the screen, 1080p in a 17.3" laptop is freaking amazing.

But, all can´t be perfect..

Installed first, of course, FS9, since i was sure that FSX will not be smooth at all, and i will not get the level of detail i got on my desktop PC.

First of all, my wife have an samsung laptop, very basic, and i3 with an amd 5450 512mb and w7, the laptop is 2 years old. Installed FS9 there lat year only for test it, and FS9 was working really really well, my benchmark is always FSDT KJFK, lined up on 31L and looking to the terminals, the FPS was 21 i think with all the WOAI packages, so is really impressive.

FS9 in this laptop is great, all installed great, all runs great..... until i do ALT+TAB, or touch something on the menus, or change resolutions, etc, 90% of the times, the graphics will be black when i try to get to the flight, only the sound will work.

The gauges on the default 777-300 also will not load.

So, installed FSX, its horrible, well, not horrible, but fly in FSX in those conditions, i prefer not fly FSX.

I don´t know, but i´m almost sure that W8 is the cause of those problems, i dont know what to do, since i don´t know when i will get an decent desktop again, and i don´ want quit flight simming.

I´m completly dissapointed, since iracing, rfactor, etc.. all works just fine, but having those titles working but no FS9.... there is no point.

:( 20130209_124936_zps64254faa.jpg