Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

15MAR13 - Let the Previews Begin!

Those videos with fixed view screw me up. I keep trying to turn my head to see the taxi turn with my trackir5.  :Doh:  :lol: 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Nice vid ... put the gear down a little early, don't you think?

Hi Dennis. No I don't think it was too early really.  Don't forget that *If* the gear doesn't come down, you still have time to use the back-up systems or lower it with gravity. All that takes up valuable time. ;-)

FSX is a SIM, not a "computer game." :-P

Sorry man, if you can't put it in a Pilot's log book, she's a game! :P

David Porrett

@DavidP   There's a log book already contained in my FSX. Where's yours?

Sorry man, if you can't put it in a Pilot's log book, she's a game! :P

Microsoft Flight Game? 

or

Microsoft Flight Simulator? 

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Hi Dennis. No I don't think it was too early really.  Don't forget that *If* the gear doesn't come down, you still have time to use the back-up systems or lower it with gravity. All that takes up valuable time. ;-)

It's very early.  You normally wouldn't put gear down until G/S indication is alive.  They put L/G down before LOC was alive at 14.5 nm DME.  That's a long time to fly at 158 knots with gear down.  More fuel burned, more noise.  You don't plan for a possible alternate extension on every landing just in case.  If the gear doesn't come down at G/S intercept they could go around and try manual extension.  

However the F/O was the pilot flying so the early extension may be related to his experience level.

Nice video though, thanks.

ki9cAAb.jpg

It's very early.  You normally wouldn't put gear down until G/S indication is alive.  They put L/G down before LOC was alive at 14.5 nm DME.  That's a long time to fly at 158 knots with gear down.  More fuel burned, more noise.

You don't plan for a possible alternate extension on every landing just in case.  If the gear doesn't come down at G/S intercept they could go around and try manual extension.

I agree with Kevin,

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Frankly, they are the pilots of the aircraft. I think they know when they should be putting the gear down.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sorry man, if you can't put it in a Pilot's log book, she's a game!

Well damn...I guess I should go scratch out all of those hours that I put in with this:

RedbirdCockpit.JPG

Those textures look mighty familiar, eh?

Kyle Rodgers

It's very early. You normally wouldn't put gear down until G/S indication is alive. They put L/G down before LOC was alive at 14.5 nm DME. That's a long time to fly at 158 knots with gear down. More fuel burned, more noise. You don't plan for a possible alternate extension on every landing just in case. If the gear doesn't come down at G/S intercept they could go around and try manual extension.

However the F/O was the pilot flying so the early extension may be related to his experience level.

Guys,

Actually there is a reason why the gear is down this early in the approach. It is a requirement when landing on runways 34L/R at Narita. According to the approach charts that I have here, it states:

Jeppsen ATC Procedures 20-9L section b: Gear down operation on approach to Rwy 34L / Rwy 34R - Unless the safety of the flight will be compromised, aircraft on approach to Rwy 34L / Rwy 34R from the sea- shore are required to complete gear down and locked prior to IYQ 12.3 DME (NRE 14 DME) for Rwy 34L and ITJ 13.6 DME (HKE 15 DME) for Rwy 34R. This requirement is intended to prevent ice blocks from falling to the ground from the aircraft.

There you have it, gears must be down and locked early to prevent ice blocks from falling from the aircraft onto populated areas.

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64

@DavidP There's a log book already contained in my FSX. Where's yours?

In my flight bag at home dating back to 1983.

FSX log? Don't really worry about it

David Porrett

Nice vid ... put the gear down a little early, don't you think?

I was on a jumpseat while approaching into narita and the pilots put the gear down before reaching the IAF because the charts for tokyo say:"Complete gear down operation before reaching D11.9 IYQ (D14 NRE)." This is only used on rwy 34L, on rwy 34R it says:"Complete gear down operation before reaching D13.6 ITJ (D15.4 HKE)."

This has a long story told from a 747 before this rule was made.

Now the gear has to be lowered over the ocean, back then it was allowed to do it above land.

This 747 did it above land and ice fell off the gear and hit a farmers house I believe and since then they have this rule. :D

Guys,

Actually there is a reason why the gear is down this early in the approach. It is a requirement when landing on runways 34L/R at Narita. According to the approach charts that I have here, it states:

Jeppsen ATC Procedures 20-9L section b: Gear down operation on approach to Rwy 34L / Rwy 34R - Unless the safety of the flight will be compromised, aircraft on approach to Rwy 34L / Rwy 34R from the sea- shore are required to complete gear down and locked prior to IYQ 12.3 DME (NRE 14 DME) for Rwy 34L and ITJ 13.6 DME (HKE 15 DME) for Rwy 34R. This requirement is intended to prevent ice blocks from falling to the ground from the aircraft.

There you have it, gears must be down and locked early to prevent ice blocks from falling from the aircraft onto populated areas.

Very interesting - thanks for that Jason! Will have to remember that or look at the notes prior to landing there in the 777  :P By the way - you use Jeppesen's charts for FSX? I would but they're pretty expensive and I'm a little weird on having up to date charts, so I'll stick with Navtech until my future airline (I hope) wants to pay for my subscription(s)  :lol:

you use Jeppesen's charts for FSX? I would but they're pretty expensive ...

Nah not when you have friends in the airline industry who give you their old charts when they update the pages... so I have basically a near complete set of airport charts but they're outdated though, the NRT charts are from 2011.

I very much would like the iPad version since this is 3 books worth of charts I have sitting in the book shelf....

Jason Brown - Exterior Model Engineer,

http://www.precisionmanuals.com
Posted Image

Specs: MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | Intel i7 4970K OC @ 4.6GHz | Gigabyte GTX970 G1 4GB | 16GB (2X8GB) G.Skill Trident | Corsair Air 540 White Case | Corsair AX750 750W PSU | 27" Samsung SyncMaster 275T+ | 27" Samsung S27D850 | 13" Wacom Cintiq | Windows 10 Professional x64