Sign in to follow this  
scottthefsxguy

Best Bush Aircraft

That's a common problem with a lot of the STOL aircraft, but especially the Cubs. However the airfields in the NA Volume 1 really are quite tiny, so you're not going to get in (or out) with something heavier and faster. Not sure it can be done (safely) with the C337. Haven't tried it with the LHC Kodiak, but it should be do-able, and it cruises at 150kts and climbs like a rocket.

I really *want* to like the C185, but it just doesn't work for me. Visibility in the VC is quite poor, ground handling (even with all the updates) is weird and springy. Check it out, though. It might just be what you're looking for.

I use Opus and made two camera views, one for taxi/take off/landing and one for enroute flying.

Never had so much fun flying a tail dragger.

Check out Aerosoft's Bush Hawk;

For pure fun the Wilga;

the Fiesler Storch may have the shortest landing distance ever; and,

if you're into military, the Westland Lysander (dropped spies and supplies into small fields in WWII)

Taildraggers rule!

I use Opus and made two camera views, one for taxi/take off/landing and one for enroute flying.

Never had so much fun flying a tail dragger.

I'm not familiar with Opus. I customize my views in the .cfg files and would like to know the advantages of this add on. I'm guessing maybe you can pan up and down where I'm limited to 3 axis being left/right, up/down and forward/aft. 

I'm not familiar with Opus. I customize my views in the .cfg files and would like to know the advantages of this add on. I'm guessing maybe you can pan up and down where I'm limited to 3 axis being left/right, up/down and forward/aft.

Yes, you are right, I can pan the view. For my taxi view I moved the viewpoint up and paned down. Views are asigned to a key of your choice, or a joystick button. If I change them in flight, they do not jump but move, another cool feature. If you like I can PM you some screenshots tomorrow night.

Camera management and views is only a small part of what OPUS does;   it's also a Real World Weather Processor, and Dynamic Head Movement utility too.    Check it out; it's a game changer! :wink:

Yes, you are right, I can pan the view. For my taxi view I moved the viewpoint up and paned down. Views are asigned to a key of your choice, or a joystick button. If I change them in flight, they do not jump but move, another cool feature. If you like I can PM you some screenshots tomorrow night.

Sounds like I gotta get this. In FSX by default the A and S keys change views. Can you program say 3 views and scroll thru with one key press?

Screenshots welcome!

Camera management and views is only a small part of what OPUS does;   it's also a Real World Weather Processor, and Dynamic Head Movement utility too.    Check it out; it's a game changer! :wink:

Thanks for the feedback. How does the weather processor compare to REX which I currently have?

Had to pop an older thread up to the top, had to....

The only bush plane worth flying on my pc at the moment is the 'tractor' ... Sibwings did such an amazing job on this AN-2, it's the only thing I want to fly right now.  You can nearly feel and smell the accumulated grit.  And the stall speed.. omg... you can drop this plane nearly anywhere.  In love. :wub:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

You need to be very careful with the AN-2. Not too much throttle, and use of cowl flaps and oil cooler is essential.

Best bush plane out there. With full flaps you can land it on a dime !

The AN-2 is really something else. How do you stop it from catching fire?

Besides running with the oil cooler open and "judicious" use of cowl flaps... 

I have found limiting RPMs to 2100rpm Max to be quite successful in limiting temps.

Check out Alexander's flying guide "How to fly the Antonov An-2" (there's a recommended power settings chart).

.pdf -> http://forum.sibwings.com/download/file.php?id=895

The AN-2 is really something else. How do you stop it from catching fire? :wub:

I will admit, I've had a few brushes with heat... :blush:   I've since had good luck in following the chart found in the cockpit to your left.  The newest fde has also helped greatly for taxiing, so I don't have to run the throttles up so much to get it rolling.  Still a bit hard to taxi though!

Best bush plane out there. With full flaps you can land it on a dime !

Indeed, I haven't ever even needed to push full flaps yet - if you just try your darnedest to stall it where you want to land, you can almost float it down.  Talk about a forgiving plane to land.  I'm tempted to try and put it on a few heli pads. :lol:

Icing on the cake would be floats!  And skis!!

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Aerosofts twin otter v2 looks great. I just hope they either leave a 2d spot in the panel for RXP 530 or include 3d knobs (which I doubt because most devs say they don't know how to do it without RXP's help)... And no one can get a hold of RXP.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Great topic because Bush flying is just pure flying with challenging strips.  Add any great scenery package and any of the aircraft recommended above and if you still pine for your FMC.....   well I'm sure PMDG are tweaking their latest attempt to take your cash and keep you happy?! :lol:

...Meanwhile it's hard to choose any one from the list above (my shopping list after a 6 month break from FSX working on a Train Sim project already has the Fairchild 24, An2 and Staggerwing on it and this threads reminded me about the Twotter update!) but I can't say enough how much I like the Sibwings BirdDog.  A choice of cockpits and different types, flies like a dream and can get in or out of just about anywhere.  Good sound and one of the best all round views of any aircraft?

My other recommendation for bush flying would be Track IR.  I'd go as far as to suggest it's THE "must have" for immersive bush flying and there's loads of tweaks and suggestions for using it with other packages here in the forums.

Trouble is I haven't even got to grips with the TriPacer yet, the Kodiak has hardly been airborne and there's 5 aircraft on my shopping list :wacko: .  

Geoff Brown

Sibwings Bird Dog & Carenado C185 with the Bernt Stolle FDE.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776