Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

Best AI traffic solution?

I (think? apologies, it's 10AM here and I barely slept last night) I feel the same way as Florian. I chose MTX because it works straight out of the box and while the models are ghastly for some liveries, you'll only be seeing them at two phases: takeoff and landing. At the same time, you'll be needing all resource power you can get at landing to make sure everything goes smoothly; so you won't be eager to get an even bigger FPS hit caused by rendering even more detailed AI planes at that time. On the other hand, you'll be "seeing" your own plane the entire flight. Because of that, you'll be more eager to take a FPS hit on caused by a high-detail plane like the NGX. I also like to land in airports that look their counterpart in real life, so I'm willing to lose some smoothness on that too.

(If you don't have a super powered computer,) it's really all a question of what you're willing to take a sacrifice on and what not. And all I really need the AI planes for is to populate my airports so it doesn't look like I'm landing in an airport that shut down because of a zombie outbreak and to have chatter during my flights. MTX (but if I'm honest, UT360, UT2, and WoAI/UTT as well) does that perfectly (but then at a higher perfomance tradeoff). Because I'm only really after the chatter, the fact that flight 123 from XYZ is diverted at this very moment isn't of much concern to me, I'm not really going to pay attention if it "followed me in" or not.  ^_^

I have always used WoAI and have been very happy with it. The fact is, there is going to be pros and cons with any AI product out there. For me, I wanted to populated my airports and skies for realism. I wanted visually appealing models, without taking a huge frame hit. I really don't care if AI aircraft fly real world SD's and STARS or not and I don't care if the flight schedules are up to date or not. Who really looks at real world flight schedules before they jump on FSX/P3D anyway? I'm sure some do, and that's fine. In that case WoAI won't be the right AI package for you. I like that the WoAI installer us easy to use. With just a couple of mouse clicks, all liveries, models, and flight plans of a particular airline package are installed in a matter of seconds. And because I like to tinker, if I want updated liveries for an airline, or adjust how much I see of a particular airline, I can easily do that with WoAI packages using a free AI Flight Planner utility.

The only thing I don't like about WoAI is it uses FS9 models, which, while visually quite good in FSX and P3D, will not appear if 'aircraft casts shadows' is activated in the sim. So I fly with shadows turned off. It's a tradeoff for me. At first I didn't like it as much, but now I hardly notice. Lastly, WoAI is free! So I would encourage anyone looking for an AI package to try WoAI first as it doesn't cost you anything. If you don't like it, just uninstall your AI with the WoAI installer. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Todd

Thanks for your input.

Do WoAI packages fly vaguely RW routes?

I don't care that schedules aren't up to the minute, but I would like to see broadly "correct" traffic at airports, i.e. if I went to Heathrow I would want to see Singapore, Qantas, Qatar etc rather than easyJet, Thomson etc.

I think WOAI has the best models, I bought mytraffic, but deleted it because the models look so bad.

My 2c... at this point in time avoice Just Flight's Traffic 360 like the plague.

Having been very happy with its predecessor, TrafficX, I pre-ordered the upgrade, in order to get more up to date liveries & schedules, plus more GA and Military traffic.

What I got was a major UK international airport with virtually no traffic movement (maybe 2 movements an hour), 90% of aircraft being from the same airline, and on the rare occasion an aircraft takes off, it often does so with the passenger doors left swinging open.  Oh and a seven month (and counting) wait for a patch/service pack that shows no signs of appearing any time soon.

Meanwhile, on my 2004 install,, I'm very happy with my World Of AI traffic solution.  Of course the problem with WOAI is that it's based on schedules even older than TrafficX, and with the project dead that's unlikely to change any time soon.  But if you just want "plausible" AI it's a fantastic, zero cost solution (except for the cost of your time to download and install all the airlines for the airports you're flying in and out of)

Dr V

Been using a combination of UT2, UGA, HTAI, and MAIW for years now.  Very satisfactory results.

There are some minor "drawbacks", though.  The UGA, HTAI, and MAIW models are all FS9 native, and though they run fine in FSX, they don't render efficiently, and large numbers of these aircraft in the area can inflict a major hit on frame rates.  Also, the .bgls need to be converted to FSX format before installation to FSX, but it's simple to do, just an extra step to carry out.

Also, regarding the MAIW packages, all of the included AFCADS are for FS9.  I don't install those into FSX.  Instead, I download FSX native AFCADS for military airports, of which there are plenty.

Still, the extra work is all very much worth it.  Really enriches the flying environment in FSX significantly.

I have used MyTraffic 2010 for several years and it works really well out of the box, or from the download.

I agree some of the models are not great, but for AI most of them are good enough.  However, the one model which is PARTICULARLY poorly done IMHO is the very popular B777, especially around the tail.  I just updated to MyTraffic 2013 which promised lots of new models customised for FSX - but they have not even changed this very common aircraft from the earlier version!!!!

Has anyone done a re-model of this AI aircraft which works with MyTraffic 2013?

Or does anyone know another AI B777 which can be installed and made to work with MyTraffic?

I would be grateful for any suggestions.  I am familiar with repainting the MyTraffic aircraft and improving on the liveries where I want to, but modelling is not in my skill set!

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

Hey Guys,

what do you think of ACA-2013. V6 also would you guys know where i can download the V6 from ?

Just to add something to the topic - I went MyTraffic2013 and I would do the same again and again. Maybe planes are not great model wise but military and cargo planes are interesting addon plus it remodels airports to create more gates. I like it :) and it is extremely easy to use and doesn't kill FPS.

Or does anyone know another AI B777 which can be installed and made to work with MyTraffic?

There's no reason why you cant use the superb model from TFS. Once you see them in FSX you'll want to replace all of your MyTraffic2013 models. http://www.the-fruit-stand.com/the-fruits/

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

I've been leery of any ai traffic add-ons as I've read that if they include FS9 models, those can put a huge hit on performance, and don't all of them?

Or is there an AI traffic add-on that is purely FSX-modeled that is "safe" for FSX?

I've been leery of any ai traffic add-ons as I've read that if they include FS9 models, those can put a huge hit on performance, and don't all of them?

Or is there an AI traffic add-on that is purely FSX-modeled that is "safe" for FSX?

You're right about the FS9 models being a potential performance issue, but I think that at least the more current commercial packages such as the various (FSX/P3D only) MyTraffic versions are FSX native models only - I don't know about older ones like UT2, though.

I've been using FS9 AI models together with UT2 without much performance trouble, I wouldn't say the difference in FPS impact between FS9 & Native FSX models is that big. 

I think those models & liveries that come with UT2 are FSX native though but I've added a lot more myself.