Sign in to follow this  
Bigmack

Fly The Maddog SP2 Released

Have anyone tried this new 3.3 upgrade for $37.00. There's a very vague description of what the new improvements are. Just wonder if anyone $$ on mystery upgrade. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's still the same old Maddog with apparently mostly minor fixes coming with this 3.3 update. Anyone who bought the Maddog Professional can download updated full installer from their Simmarket order page.  

It's still the same old Maddog with apparently mostly minor fixes coming with this 3.3 update. Anyone who bought the Maddog Professional can download updated full installer from their Simmarket order page.  

Plus you need your purchase order as well or your  key  to register it  again

Thanks for the info. I was hoping they fixed the VNAV issue.

So they didn't?

This is the bug that keeps me from buying the airplane. As trivial as it may seem to some who put the Maddog in the same or better category as the NGX, I think a plane that has a buggy VNAV, reportedly causing the it to stall out if left unattended, is just one of those things that would bother me enough to keep me away.  Also worried about fps having been reported to be the absolute worst of any plane available, concerns about dated graphics (the screenshots don't looks so bad), and sounds that will need to be replaced.  If the VNAV bug was fixed however, I might go for it.

So they didn't?

This is the bug that keeps me from buying the airplane. As trivial as it may seem to some who put the Maddog in the same or better category as the NGX, I think a plane that has a buggy VNAV, reportedly causing the it to stall out if left unattended, is just one of those things that would bother me enough to keep me away.  Also worried about fps having been reported to be the absolute worst of any plane available, concerns about dated sounds, and dated graphics.  If the VNAV bug was fixed however, I might go for it.

Well its not fixed, so keep your money!

Also worried about fps having been reported to be the absolute worst of any plane available

I've always gotten just as good FPS with the Maddog as with PMDG 737NGX and other comparable planes, at least that shouldn't be a problem. 

Anyway I hope the VNAV will be fixed in the next completely updated version whenever it comes out. 

I've always gotten just as good FPS with the Maddog as with PMDG 737NGX and other comparable planes, at least that shouldn't be a problem. 

Anyway I hope the VNAV will be fixed in the next completely updated version whenever it comes out.

I agree...no issues with FPS here.

Still learning the ins and outs of this aircraft so forgive my ignorance...but what is the VNAV issue and how does it affect this aircraft? So far, I haven't seen any issue with VNAV.

Have anyone tried this new 3.3 upgrade for $37.00.

No she doesn't cost $37 - it's a free upgrade, and as Wayne said - what VNAV issue? For almost every VNAV complaint on the Maddog forum - a r/w pilot will often jump in and advise on the correct procedure.

Quoting Olivier Moens, one of the most experienced Maddog pilots:

It is normal that your IAS begins to fall after the mach crossover. At the mach crossover, the reference is a fixed number of Mach.

The higher you fly, the lower the IAS for the same MACH, (as the speed) of sound speed is slower in colder, high altitude air than (it is) close to the ground.

Flying at fixed MACH number avoids the plane to exceed MMO.

But if you fly too high, you will come closer to stall speed in IAS. If your plane is too loaded or unbalanced, you will reach the stall incidence and speed lower and sooner.

The place where Stall speed is the same as MMO, and thus where your lowest possible speed is the same as your higher possible speed is called coffin corner. It is dependent on atmospheric condition, CG and weight.

--------------------

Regards,

Olivier Moens

Callsign: BLE1221

No she doesn't cost $37 - it's a free upgrade, and as Wayne said - what VNAV issue? For almost every VNAV complaint on the Maddog forum - a r/w pilot will often jump in and advise on the correct procedure.

Quoting Olivier Moens, one of the most experienced Maddog pilots:

We all know about that part of flying the plane. The VNAV issue I'm speaking of is when you select mach or IAS, to pick up speed, the nose dive below the horizon or the AC decrease ALT to gain speed instead of using  Engine thrust as climb power. Transitioning from IAS to mach above FL 260 should not cause the plane to descend in ALT. it should just lower the nose a few degrees until it pick up enough speed to continue its climb.

I use Leonardo Maddog from 2008 and that never happened to me. There are some steps to folow, and some guides all over the internet - how to corectly load and set Maddog in FSX. You will get 0 issues after you learn that.

It's harder to learn real procedures and other great stuff about this plane, this is really not for occasional simmers.

For your VNAV bugg, there is the one specific step during autopilot settings - on the ground, change to mach mode and change the preset 0.50 to 0.76 - 0.78. No problems at all in flight after that. Just take this step like one more item in "before start checklist"

Regarding this vnav bug you're talking about, I can say that I flew hundred of hours with this aircraft and never had any problem with it...

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

• Upvote 1

I use Leonardo Maddog from 2008 and that never happened to me. There are some steps to folow, and some guides all over the internet - how to corectly load and set Maddog in FSX. You will get 0 issues after you learn that.

It's harder to learn real procedures and other great stuff about this plane, this is really not for occasional simmers.

For your VNAV bugg, there is the one specific step during autopilot settings - on the ground, change to mach mode and change the preset 0.50 to 0.76 - 0.78. No problems at all in flight after that. Just take this step like one more item in "before start checklist"

Thank you for the explanation.  At least somebody finally acknowledges that it is actually a bug.  Given the easy workaround you've described, that can be done pre-flight, you've convinced me it isn't too big an issue, or a valid reason alone not to buy.  Still, I wonder what overall experience or learning challenge this old plane could offer that isn't provided by the likes of the NGX, Level-D 767, or several others.   A major revision to current FSX standards would be a major enticement, but a minor update that doesn't appear to address any of the issues that I've been reading about for years doesn't seem to provide any greater incentive to make the plunge.  It appears that the Maddog can be considered one of the "legendary" planes ever made for MSFS, but it's probably not for me, because the last thing I need is another Efis/Fms/glass style airliner.   You know I want it though, or I wouldn't be participating in this thread! :P

Still, I wonder what overall experience or learning challenge this old plane could offer that isn't provided by the likes of the NGX, Level-D 767, or several others. A major revision to current FSX standards would be a major enticement, but a minor update that doesn't appear to address any of the issues that I've been reading about for years doesn't seem to provide any greater incentive to make the plunge. It appears that the Maddog can be considered one of the "legendary" planes ever made for MSFS, but it's probably not for me, because the last thing I need is another Efis/Fms/glass style airliner.

1. The challenge is complete icing effects simulation, and complete engine failure simulation (hotstart, overheating by too much thrust, compressor stalls). None of the PMDG's or Level-D's have all that.

2. MD-82 - as well as B757 and B767 - are not glass cockpit. They have separate altitude and airspeed instruments. A glass cockpit is only one with a PFD that includes both airspeed and altitude measurement.

Well, I just took advantage of the new low price and bought it. Installed it. Seemed to work, but didn't go through the flight process. Decided to download the first set of liveries. Installed them. Went back, loaded the Maddog, and switched to the VC (I load into the 2D cockpit first, then switch)...and there IS NO VC!! I also use EZCA, and ran the config app prior to loading FSX. When I use EZCA to "look around", all I see is the tarmac and terminal. The views change to where the cockpit SHOULD be, but there is no aircraft there. Exterior views show the plane parked at the gate. But no VC!

I thought it was working prior to installing the livery package. So what's up? Incidentally, my Coolsky MD-80 loads and the VC works fine.

Maddog has an enormously loyal support amongst those that use it regularly, I tried it and found it was a little dated when compared with some of the more recent and more realistic releases, but it is a case of different strokes for different folks.

Well, I just took advantage of the new low price and bought it. Installed it. Seemed to work, but didn't go through the flight process. Decided to download the first set of liveries. Installed them. Went back, loaded the Maddog, and switched to the VC (I load into the 2D cockpit first, then switch)...and there IS NO VC!! I also use EZCA, and ran the config app prior to loading FSX. When I use EZCA to "look around", all I see is the tarmac and terminal. The views change to where the cockpit SHOULD be, but there is no aircraft there. Exterior views show the plane parked at the gate. But no VC!

I thought it was working prior to installing the livery package. So what's up? Incidentally, my Coolsky MD-80 loads and the VC works fine.

Before you start FSX, go to start menu/fly the maddog/manager&setup and configure aircraft. In setup tab, check "virtual cockpit, pilot position" and then select configuration and livery. VC will not show up if you select different livery in fsx then selected in manager&setup.

Now, if you save maddog with engines runing, for quick flight - just load default flight first, with default cessna or whatever default fsx plane, place it to some airport and after that select maddog from fsx menu. You will need to set fuel from fsx menu in this case.

When you do complete flight, you should do all preflight in "manager&setup" too, but save plane in cold&dark state. Then, start fsx, select default cesnna, load the flight, shut down all engines and systems, avionics - all swiches to off. After that, select maddog, and you will have corectly loaded state, weights and fuel(like you configured in manager)

@@captain bligh, outdated in terms of graphics, yes. But in all other - systems, fde and some quirks of real plane, it's a years ahead of all recent releases

Before you start FSX, go to start menu/fly the maddog/manager&setup and configure aircraft. In setup tab, check "virtual cockpit, pilot position" and then select configuration and livery. VC will not show up if you select different livery in fsx then selected in manager&setup.

Now, if you save maddog with engines runing, for quick flight - just load default flight first, with default cessna or whatever default fsx plane, place it to some airport and after that select maddog from fsx menu. You will need to set fuel from fsx menu in this case.

When you do complete flight, you should do all preflight in "manager&setup" too, but save plane in cold&dark state. Then, start fsx, select default cesnna, load the flight, shut down all engines and systems, avionics - all swiches to off. After that, select maddog, and you will have corectly loaded state, weights and fuel(like you configured in manager)

@@captain bligh, outdated in terms of graphics, yes. But in all other - systems, fde and some quirks of real plane, it's a years ahead of all recent releases

I thank you so very much, Zeljko. You know, I own the Coolsky MD-80 Super Pro, the PMDG 737NGX, and now the Maddog. Every one of them has a "required" way to start FSX before loading the A/C. The MD-80 had me load the default Cessna, the 737 has me start FSX with the Powered Hang Glider and then load the 737 with the 2D panel (and waiting for about 20 seconds before going to the VC), and now this Maddog has me configure each livery before I even START FSX, and then launch FSX, load the Cessna, power it off, and then load the C&D Maddog.

SO - I normally start FSX with the hang glider, and then:

1. Pick the airport and gate (usually my home base of KFLL)
  2. Set the time (usually the system time)
  3. Select the aircraft
  4. Fly Now!

The sim is set to start with the 2D panel (per the 737). I will leave it at that.  I always load the "real" aircraft in cold & dark mode, anyway, so that will stay the same. The idea that I have to configure the aircraft PRIOR TO launching FSX is strange, but - hey! - if everything works as it should...

Again, thanks for the tips. The manual doesn't cover the plane closely enough. I already had trouble figuring out how to load the AIRAC data. What next? Well, back to the sim...I was ready to un-install/re-install this thing until you answered my post. I'll be back to let you know what happens.

1. The challenge is complete icing effects simulation, and complete engine failure simulation (hotstart, overheating by too much thrust, compressor stalls). None of the PMDG's or Level-D's have all that.

2. MD-82 - as well as B757 and B767 - are not glass cockpit. They have separate altitude and airspeed instruments. A glass cockpit is only one with a PFD that includes both airspeed and altitude measurement.

Regarding #1, from what I understand the 737NG and likely the 767 as well have EEC, which prevents certain engine issues such as hot starts and other operator error issues.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

@gpbarth, just one thing - you don't need to start manager&setup every time before you plan to use maddog, only when you want to change the livery. Every time when you select it in FSX, maddog will be in the last saved state, just remeber last saved livery becouse of virtual cockpit.

And you should go to manager&setup  when you do a full flight, becouse of preflight - FP, pax, fuel etc. 

You can use real world MD80 manuals, search by google or in maddog forum. There are some real MD80 FCOM's available - i remember continental airlines and TWA. This is a nice things about maddog, all procedures can be used and he  behaves awesome! 

I remember having a "Quick Start Guide" for the maddog, Dammed if I can find it now. I think it was written by Paul J, 

I remember having a "Quick Start Guide" for the maddog, Dammed if I can find it now. I think it was written by Paul J, 

You've got a good memory, Mr. BadFinger! Here ya go..

:hi:

Just little detail about the maddog engine start for those reluctant about having or not this software... this aircraft is the only one in FS9 and FSX that will burn the engines, if the fuel lever are opened before N2 reaches 19%! The realism is just that great!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2