Sign in to follow this  
Anthony1968

Ryanair again!

Great news for us...  ^_^

An extra €20 makes it what, €65 now for a bag? We'll be laughing all the way to the bank after this move...  :Applause:  :LMAO:  :dance:  :yahoo:

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Well it's not going to impact the 80% of pax that apparently already don't bring hold luggage.

I mean I've vowed never to fly Ryanair as much as the next guy, but if you look at their size and finances they must be doing something right, much as that makes me sad to admit.

and finances

Didn't they just see a quarter drop in profits?  Still around the 71m mark but down by 20% or so?

I'd be careful about posting on Ryanair, they seem to be quite litigious, some of the guys over at pprune found that out.  

Ian R Tyldesley

Ryanair have put me off completely!

I don't want to be paying more for what I have already paid. O'Leary is a p***k, always has been and always will be.

Dude is a business man. He is still in business, and making money.

Days of Airlines not caring about profit are over. Look at the American Airlines that have all been defaulted and bailed out. Maybe some of them should have taken some of these ideas, and at least thought about them.

We now just have insane priced airlines over here, that don't have the best service at all.

Dude is a business man. He is still in business, and making money.

Days of Airlines not caring about profit are over.

All airlines care about profit, it's how you get that profit that makes the difference. You might say not charging people to check in, or putting people into hotels when a flight gets cancelled without creating a hassle for passengers costs money, but if those passengers appreciate it, and bring back return business, then that cost has paid off in the long run, and you're able to charge a slight premium for that image.

The image Ryanair project of themselves is one where they'll make every possible attempt to charge you for breaking the rules, and every attempt possible to avoid helping you out when things go wrong, and they don't hide that.

Regard,

Ró. 

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

(...), but if you look at their size and finances they must be doing something right, (...)

... like drawing public subsidies? I'm aware of some coverage of this kind mentioning German municipalities, for example.

... like drawing public subsidies? I'm aware of some coverage of this kind mentioning German municipalities, for example.

AFAIK, if all of Ryanair's public funds were withdrawn they'd be loss making, so that says something. Nothing wrong of course with being subsidised as long as it's fair. If that local government creates employment because of their investment then that's money well spent and I wouldn't hold it against them. 

Although I did hear a story about 6 months ago, in Germany as you mentioned, where they accidentally misdeclared the different aircrafts MTOW as part of a variable MTOW scheme to avoid enroute charges. I think that's still under investigation.

Regards,

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I have noticed quite a lot of airlines are charging a fee for checked baggage. I flew Alaskan Airlines last year from Portland OR and managed to skip the baggage fee all thanks to the nice check-in lady. My point is, Ryanair don't hesitate about charging for the smallest of things, other airlines do or don't charge for them at-all. 

There are regional airports in Germany, abandoned again by Ryanair, as soon as subsidies  ... well ... subsided - at least rumour in that coverage has it. Talking about locusts' strategy ...

A recently published article in German newspaper Zeit outlined some of Ryanair's business practices:

-Some pilots aren't hired by Ryanair directly, but have to found their own company including dummy employees (yes!) in Ireland with the help of an aviation agency. Barely legal of course.

-Flight attendants make as low as 900€ net in some months

-Crew base might close/be sized down with every flight plan

-E-mails get sent around with charts that show which pilots consume little fuel and which a lot (any more questions why they run out of fuel every so often?)

I think I'll pass...

-Some pilots aren't hired by Ryanair directly, but have to found their own company including dummy employees (yes!) in Ireland with the help of an aviation agency. Barely legal of course.

80% of Ryanair pilots are contract and increasing, not just some...  :(

Regards,

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I have noticed quite a lot of airlines are charging a fee for checked baggage.

The last two flights I made were to Wichita, Kansas and return to ORD. I was going to check my one bag at the counter, but was advised (with a wink mind you) that there was a $20 check in fee...

...but if I carried the bag through the checkpoint all the way to the jetway, they would put my bag in the hold from there, and deliver it to the jetway's door at the other end.

So, my bag wound up in the same hold it would have gone to had I paid the $20 fee.

It was actually more convenient since I didn't have to go to "baggage claim" and wait for my bag. The only downside was having to lug it all the way to through the terminal and passing through the security checkpoint.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Check in fees are common around the world now. And what is also becoming common are people that wear all of their clothes when they fly to avoid paying that fee (I've seen it).

Get ready to see more of this:

friends_302_joey_chandlers_clothes.jpg

Matthew Kane