Sign in to follow this  
Jerad

Orbx is up to something.

UTX is the same way if you enable the smallest residential and rural roads.  I hope they offer a similar tool to control the road density.

If not at least I can keep using UTX for their covered areas and let the FTX vectors fix up the rest of the world.

Well, it's cool.  Looks good at night.  Am I the only one that thinks the roads look pretty bad during the day?

No.

Jacek G.

Ryzen 5800X3D | Asus RTX4090 OC | 64gb DDR4 3600 | Asus ROG Strix X570E | HX1000w | Fractal Design Torrent RGB | AOC AGON 49' Curved QHD |

All right! Fresh red meat for the AVSIM regulars to tear apart. Fill the mugs and put on the popcorn!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Well, it's cool.  Looks good at night.  Am I the only one that thinks the roads look pretty bad during the day?

You mean the textures used for the roads ? If its just that, I guess you'll probably be able to switch them for something else just as for their runways and taxiways.

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Nope its not just roads, it everything that makes the world better, like railways, rivers, lakes, etc.

Good news, Alain has found a way to rain on the parade already :)

Did you expect anything else?

Yes the roads in some of the shots look pretty stark, but that should just be a matter of substituting them for a darker or more subdued texture, also possibly adjusting the road widths in the terrain.cfg to make them narrower. UTX already has all of this functionality built into their setup tool, so I'd hope at the very least Orbx give us a similar utility with the functionality to configure this stuff as we want.

I must admit I'm very surprised at this new vector product. What with the combination of FTXG base, OpenLC and now Vector, what does this mean for the future of the traditional Orbx regional products? I seem to remember reading some time ago JV saying the regions always took a long time and a lot of resources to develop, for only a modest return. Perhaps this signals the beginning of the end for the old fashioned Orbx regional sceneries?

I'm also very surprised at the price.....

Ok, I may very well be missing into the excitement. But, I don't see the advantage the major increase of all these products combine when comparing it to say Megascenery 2.0. Which part am I missing. So, OBRX replaces the textures ( I guess trees, grass, buildings). Are the buildings specific to every country or are they just generic all in one little 3D squares (buidlings), tree, roads, etc? Now you have Vector which says will fixes:

• Roads
  • Rivers
  • Lakes
  • Coastlines
  • Railways
  • Power Lines
  • Motorways
  • Moving traffic
  • Corrected airport elevations

This is going to be a tough one for me, as I don't fly near roads (unless near the airport on landing and take-offs), nor do I check to see how the power lines look, nor the railroads. I don't know, but if the whole thing would look like in real world, then it would be worth it; say like Scenery Add-ons . But,  just to change the current tree leaves and road color, and building shape, and adding more power lines here and there, it's a tough one for me to purchase.

Vectors means placing objects where they belong, thus makes things more geographically accurate compared to the real world.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I find the roads a bit bright and generic still, like UTX...oh well, will have to wait and see.

Especially in this pic...

9SUL.jpg

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I find the roads a bit bright and generic still, like UTX...oh well, will have to wait and see.

Especially in this pic...

I think it may be a side effect of the lighting engine in FSX, but yes, it is too bright. With UTX, and this orbx product, there are limits that prevent the roads from matching the real life appearance.  I just hope there is some kind of setting the user can adjust to modify the colors or contrast.  Maybe an adjustment there will help.

Ok, I may very well be missing into the excitement. But, I don't see the advantage the major increase of all these products combine when comparing it to say Megascenery 2.0. Which part am I missing. So, OBRX replaces the textures ( I guess trees, grass, buildings). Are the buildings specific to every country or are they just generic all in one little 3D squares (buidlings), tree, roads, etc? Now you have Vector which says will fixes:

• Roads
  • Rivers
  • Lakes
  • Coastlines
  • Railways
  • Power Lines
  • Motorways
  • Moving traffic
  • Corrected airport elevations

This is going to be a tough one for me, as I don't fly near roads (unless near the airport on landing and take-offs), nor do I check to see how the power lines look, nor the railroads. I don't know, but if the whole thing would look like in real world, then it would be worth it; say like Scenery Add-ons . But,  just to change the current tree leaves and road color, and building shape, and adding more power lines here and there, it's a tough one for me to purchase.

there are two types of fsx scenery:  Photoreal and Landclass.   If you like exclusively photoreal, these sorts of products (FTXG, ORBX, UTX GEX)  aren't for you.  I think this stuff looks pretty good from 30000 feet too,  but most photoreal fans are exclusively airliner fliers, and I take it you are too.

these sceneries are to make a "plausible world"  it's not exact.  buildings match the region of the world they are located, but there wouldn't be specific differences between buildings in germany to the buildings in france,  you would just get generic European buildings.  If you want it to look exactly like the real place, you can save your money.  there are advantages to this sort of scenery,  it covers large areas, or with these products, the whole earth,  it looks much better down low,  the terrain feels more alive, and it can have seasonal variations and night textures etc...  It does not take up much hard drive space comparatively speaking  (if you had photoreal for the whole world it would take the largest hard drives made to store it all) it causes less OOM errors than photoreal.

personally I don't think that Megascenery looks very good, but plenty of MS fans don't think ORBX or UTX looks very good.  whatever you like, buy.

the good thing is there will be a demo full version of Iceland,  so when that's out , you could try that and see if it works for you.

The look of the roads are how FSX default make them look. FTX Global Vectors just places the roads in their right position, it doesn't change the textures/look of them.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987!