Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KingGhidorah

Should I get iFly if already PMDG?

First of all, I know there are going to be people that say "use the search function" or "been done to death", and of course I know that.  The problem is, is that so much smack talk has gone back and forth, that I'm find I'm very little farther ahead than I am before.  My only interest in iFly has to do with the P3D.   One of my primary concerns is flight model.  So if I switch from FSX to P3Dv2 (when it's released) what are the primary differences that I'm going to encounter?  I already know that the consensus is that iFly is 2nd best, but when it comes down to using iFly, am I going to go berserk missing the NGX, should I make the decision to fully embrace P3D/P3Dv2?  I'm tempted to buy the FSX version of iFly and then buy it again for P3D just to see, even returning it if necessary, but that takes a lot of time to fully explore, so I'm hoping somebody can give me the Dummies guide to the differences between the two, and relate their personal experiences.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I don't have the iFly model, but I can tell you that PMDG's is lightyears ahead of theirs in terms of functionality and overall quality. I would stick with their model if I were you. As for switching to P3D, I have heard that with some modification it is possible to run the PMDG model in it. Not that I have tried it (or that I intend to), and I certainly don't advise it as it violates their EULA, but it is doable.

I can't compare the two thoroughly since I don't have the NGX, but I really enjoy the iFly and if you're using P3D, it would definitely be the better option because it's actually supported for P3D. I suppose it's not quite an NGX but I think you will still be very impressed with it. Aside from visuals which you can judge from screenshots, one big difference that I miss out on with the iFly is the service-based/wear-and-tear failures.

I have both and the PMDG is slightly better , not lightyears ahead....

You will enjoy the Ifly in P3D.

Both versions are very good; with the iFly's main (only?) advantage being that you can buy a cross.licence (from FS9 to FSX) for a mere USD 15. No such luck with the PMDG version as their NGs are totally different developments.

If you already have the NGX, the only point I see in getting the iFly is the fact that one can legally use it in P3D, if you consider that move. If you stay with FSX for certain, I'd save that money, as I believe (don't own the NGX) that PMDG did both the systems and the visual model a bit more detailed.

One thing that immediately comes to my mind in this regard is the HUD, which in the iFly is only available in the BBJ models IIRC, and from the screenshots, the HUD does look a lot better in the NGX. On the other hand, if you want a great variety of models, you might want to consider the iFly, as it features all available (civilian) 737NG models.

I have both but i only use the ngx in fsx, both are great examples of the 737 but for me the ngx is the winner, i like its night lighting a lot better, it has better vc textures and the displays are clearer. I find the ifly displays fuzzy and the cockpit textures feel flat. One thing i did notice is that the ngx glass displays are blacklit even in the daytime but the iflys are not which means at certain times of the day it will be a little harder to see/read the displays on the ifly until the lights come on as they rely on the ambeint light to light them.

The Ifly has matured in to a really nice addon with the 3.2 version and has some features the ngx does not but then the ngx has features the ifly does not.

The PMDG has some more functionality if you're a rivet counter. If you want better model and texture quality stay with the NGX. 

I don't have the iFly model, but I can tell you that PMDG's is lightyears ahead of theirs in terms of functionality and overall quality.

I wish I had the ability to judge complex addons so well without actually owning them.

Would have saved me a fortune over the years

I wish I had the ability to judge complex addons so well without actually owning them.

OMG I was thinking the same thing. Like most have said the Ifly 737 has really matured from when it was first launched, most feedback you will find is from ver 1.X. If I were moving to P3D and wanted a fully capable 737 then I would get Ifly without a second thought. I find Flight Models debatable as everyone swears their is most accurate by their in-house pilots.

Sadly reviewers tend not to do follow ups when updates are released for some strange reason but lucky there is plenty of users willing to help out and that can be worth more than most reviews that are out dated.

Exact case P3D vs FSX. Iv had the PMDG since it's release but am considering the iFly for the new P3D V2 but will no dought wait for the P3D V2 release just to see if any compatibility issues with DX11 or other areas exist. Thought the iFly may not be the NGX it is never the less very good. I had it for FS2004. For FSX ONLY the NGX.  IMO otherwise I dont know a darn thing. :)

I don't have the iFly model, but I can tell you that PMDG's is lightyears ahead of theirs in terms of functionality and overall quality. I would stick with their model if I were you. As for switching to P3D, I have heard that with some modification it is possible to run the PMDG model in it. Not that I have tried it (or that I intend to), and I certainly don't advise it as it violates their EULA, but it is doable.

You don't have it; So why do you pretend to know it? You're not even credited to talk about iFly.

I have the ifly for fs9/fsx and P3D.  BUY IT!  version 3.2 released a few weeks ago is amazing.  I retired the NGX, there's something special about the ifly that makes you love flying it.  The graphics, sound and flight model are awesome.

I started off with the Ifly and then started flying the NGX. IMO the NGX is streets ahead of the Ifly. The VC resolution, the night lighting, the FDE and the external textures. So, as I say, only MO, but my experience has brought me to this conclusion. BTW my opinion is based on the original release +1 update, so unsure what updates have been made since then to perhaps change my view.

The Ifly has matured in to a really nice addon with the 3.2 version and has some features the ngx does not but then the ngx has features the ifly does not.

agreed...version 3.2 is great!  VC, Night lighting, textures, sound, flight model, etc.....All upgraded and improved.

Bottom line is if you want a great 737 in P3D then get Ifly, not sure how they are going to handle P3D ver 2, but given the fact that Ifly has provided outstanding support and continued improvements well after the hype and debates have died down, I would expect them to not keep their customers waiting too long. 

Yeah 3.2 sounds like it's made the ifly quite amazing...are there any screenshots of the VC in 3.2 I never liked the textures in the vc. I might get it again just for the BBJ models.

Just not sure if the product page has the 3.2 textures so if anyone has some VC screenshots that would be quite helpful

Thanks

I bought and run the iFly for FSX, before the NGX was released.  I would have been happy to have used both side by side but had to retire the iFly as it was the only aircraft I've ever owned that suffered from the infamous "Frame Rates drop from 30 to 10 FPS when the cursor is in view" problem.   Some people say they get that problem at lot, but I'd never ever seen it - until the iFly.  

Once the NGX was released it did feel a bit academic and pointless trying to troubleshoot the iFly's "cursor problem" because as far as I could see, the PMDG is superior in every area.

Many people do use the NGX in P3D as apparantly is works flawlessly using the Estonia Migration Tool for P3D, but I wouldn't know, as of course, this is against PMDG's Licence.

I bought and run the iFly for FSX, before the NGX was released.  I would have been happy to have used both side by side but had to retire the iFly as it was the only aircraft I've ever owned that suffered from the infamous "Frame Rates drop from 30 to 10 FPS when the cursor is in view" problem.   Some people say they get that problem at lot, but I'd never ever seen it - until the iFly.  

Once the NGX was released it did feel a bit academic and pointless trying to troubleshoot the iFly's "cursor problem" because as far as I could see, the PMDG is superior in every area.

Many people do use the NGX in P3D as apparantly is works flawlessly using the Estonia Migration Tool for P3D, but I wouldn't know, as of course, this is against PMDG's Licence.

The migration tool was great before developers started hard-coding P3D out to prevent people from doing that.  Not naming anyone out, but safe to say initial releases were not affected, but all those little patches sometimes contain a little extra.

The migration tool was great before developers started hard-coding P3D out to prevent people from doing that.  Not naming anyone out, but safe to say initial releases were not affected, but all those little patches sometimes contain a little extra.

Really?... wow, didn't realise any of the developers had done that.   Seems a bit extreme.

Well I've just unistalled FSX and gone full time P3D v1.4 "for the time being"  so any developers that don't want me to use their software, that's fine I won't :smile: ... there are enough fantastic scenery and aircraft add-ons for P3D to keep me happy, even just between Orbx and Aerosoft, not to mention the many others.

Yeah 3.2 sounds like it's made the ifly quite amazing...are there any screenshots of the VC in 3.2 I never liked the textures in the vc. I might get it again just for the BBJ models.

Just not sure if the product page has the 3.2 textures so if anyone has some VC screenshots that would be quite helpful

Thanks

Same textures sadly but they improved some of the night lighting so you dont need the engines running to see in the dark i believe ( very helpful when doing cold and dark at night time ), since getting the ngx i dont use it.

Will i be able to use the ifly p3d version in v2 i doubt it as im sure that i would need a new paid for licence so i probably wont even try it, and if i have to buy another copy of it i wont bother.

Better FPS with iFly but more functionality and realism with NGX.

Better FPS with iFly but more functionality and realism with NGX.

Oh sure, I'd forgotten about that. I'd experienced far better frames with the Ifly than the NGX, but again, unsure how this has been affected by the latest Ifly version.