Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

Multi-Platform Pricing Policy Expectations FSX/P3D/Xplane

ivo09, on 25 Nov 2013 - 3:39 PM, said:

I would like the most realistic possible aircraft and simulation. I like to learn about the aircraft as it is in real life. This is entertaining to me. Which platform/license is right for me?

Unless you are enrolled in an official educational institution or aviation training program than you are supposed to buy the "Official Pro" version. Although people are just convincing themselves that they should be buying the "Academic" version and just buy that one, as there are no real checks to go through, but technically they should be buying the "Pro".

Yes we all should!

wlix261, on 25 Nov 2013 - 7:01 PM, said:

PMDG pulled by the market ... (us simmers).......... don't we love this? .............. :rolleyes:

I really don't think that's quite accurate :lol:
Unless you are running an airline training center and that is what you meant by "us simmers", but I don't think it is.

Well.. I see your point, but, not a single airline has bought PMDG products for training (yet). Those products have been bought by us plain simmers. PMDG has made a smart move deciding going to P3D.

If simmers (as many have indicated) go to P3D PMDG might find with a much smaller market ahead.

AHS712D Alvaro Escorcia KSGR/OMAA
AirHispania Virtual Airline
MSFS / ASUS TUF Gaming F15-Refresh-144Hz / 11GenIntel (R)Core (TM) i7-11800H
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX3060GPU / 1TB-Samsung SSD / 32GB-RAM
SAMSUNG-SmartMonitor-M7-32"4K

Well.. I see your point, but, not a single airline has bought PMDG products for training (yet).

If the airlines did purchase then PMDG will have to start issuing fixes for issues quicker than they do now!

First of all sorry for my english, this is my little humble opinion.

With all due respect, given FSX's nature and its bugged code, we were "forced" to move to a new simulator since FSX will no longer be developed.

Let's take the example where FSX, as now, it is no longer developed, and LM launches P3D entertainment and commercial license. Being P3D the natural heir of FSX, do you think the majority of simmers was going on? Definitely on P3D entertainment, as well as there is a entertainement version of XP a commercial one. All XP's simmers are using the entertainment version.

Here, however, things are different, we are "forced" to switch to P3D, and only in the case of PMDG, we need to spend even more for products with which we already have purchased for and an entertainement license for FSX.

I agree therefore with others, I'll stay on FSX DX10, since there are no big differences for now, compared to P3D.

Riccardo

OS: Windows 10-64 bit, CPU: i7-7700K @4.20 GHz, GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 G1 8GB GDDR5, RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz, MB: MSI Z270

Well ok, we will have to pay AGAIN for the PMDG product, we will have to pay AGAIN for a simulator (P3D), surely we will have to pay AGAIN for every single add-on because of licensing problems and then we will have cockpit shadows and some better frame rates, BUT we will still get Out Of Memory errors if we load everything we love in the simulator. (Irony ON) Totally worth the money (Irony OFF). 

Regards, Pau Daniel.

P.S.: I was hoping for LM to have the guts for developing a 64 bit program, but they don't, and this community will still be tied up to the silly restriction of 4GB Virtual Memory, the big STEP is still missing.

• Upvote 1

Well.. I see your point, but, not a single airline has bought PMDG products for training (yet). Those products have been bought by us plain simmers.

While technically true, there are certainly a large number of real world airline pilots who've bought our products to use at home. There can't be any official training purpose for those products but the idea that no one but simmers without actual flight experience are our entire market is completely false.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well ok, we will have to pay AGAIN for the PMDG product, we will have to pay AGAIN for a simulator (P3D), surely we will have to pay AGAIN for every single add-on because of licensing problems and then we will have cockpit shadows and some better frame rates, BUT we will still get Out Of Memory errors if we load everything we love in the simulator. (Irony ON) Totally worth the money (Irony OFF). 

(...)

Some of us would(!) have to pay AGAIN for new hardware, as well.

Regards, Pau Daniel.

P.S.: I was hoping for LM to have the guts for developing a 64 bit program, but they don't, and this community will still be tied up to the silly restriction of 4GB Virtual Memory, the big STEP is still missing.

So does that mean they will cease development (assuming profitability on the commercial side) for FSX, or does it mean that we'll be in a similar situation to early DCS, commercial development first and consumers get the, for want of a better word, caste offs?

The idea that DCS A-10C is a "cast off" sim just because it spawned from a commercial contract they had is pretty hilarious. It's one of the best combat sims ever made for home use. The only things missing from their simulation of the airplane are the things the USAF doesn't want the public (and our enemies for that matter) knowing about.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Let's just wait and see what prices PMDG eventually comes up with.

I do hope there will be the possibility to transfer or "upgrade" your license at a modest fee.

While I have my own personal opinions about all this LM license and EULA debate, I don't think it's relevant to discuss this over and over again.

PMDG has made a decision and we (the customers) can love or hate them for that, in the end it will give us the option to choose between platforms.

If someone qualifies or not for the P3D academic or professional license or not, is not up to this community to judge. It's the buyers own responsibility to choose the right license and no one else. 

Just my 2c

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

The idea that DCS A-10C is a "cast off" sim just because it spawned from a commercial contract they had is pretty hilarious

You're right Ryan, a poor choice of words on my part.  

Perhaps i should have said in my opinion PMDG is moving away from the home sim community towards the commercial environment and that development for the home sim will be secondary to the commercial product.

Ian R Tyldesley

(...)

Perhaps i should have said in my opinion PMDG is moving away from the home sim community towards the commercial environment and that development for the home sim will be secondary to the commercial product.

A number of our favourite addon developers have been developing for commercial use, as well.

I'm not really concerned about PMDG doing the same.   B)

At the end of the day, the majority of us just want to fly a realistic simulation at a realistic price on a decent up-to-date-platform, with infinite hours of enjoyment and satisfaction.

I think PMDG want this too.

I hope.

Pray.

:lol:

With Prepar3D not even available in a 64bit version I simply do not believe that their product will create an interesting market for add-ons like the excellent PMDG planes we all love....

You forget who P3D is primarilly aimed at.

Universities and/or training institutions don't need to tax their environment with massive photoreal sceneries, 16 megapixel cloud textures AND worldwide AI.... They can make it work in 32bit. 

What about the existing 777 or NGX customers? Will be a free update the P3D version? Any discount?

Enviado desde mi iPhone 5S con Tapatalk Pro

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

There are a few things to consider in this discussion. FSX is very buggy but people have to remember that it is Microsoft fault not PMDG's. FSX is a 6 year old program that is being pushed far beyond it's limits. As demand changes and expectations grow then so does the amount of addons and memory demands. As with everything there will come a time when it breaks completely.

With regards to P3D, I don't consider that as the future, just an update to FSX SP2 with a few improvements. If I was using it for training then I would probably book hours at my local flying school then pay for a licence, especially as you could fly FSX with low scenery and less addons to lose the OOMS. I don't think that many 777 pilots think that they buy FSX of P3D to train in a 777, when airlines have actual hydraulic flight simulators, maybe fire it up to fly something that they are not trained on for entertainment. I may be wrong because I am not and expert, this is just my opinion.

I think X-Plane has a future if and when the developers jump on board but until they see a profit in it then they will keep churning things out for FSX / P3D. Ay the moment P3D is a viable business addon because they can either increase they audience by selling FSX/P3D dual programs with a few changes, or  go the PMDG route of releasing the same product under a different licence on the premise of being a training program. Remember that again, this is not PMDG's fault, they themselves have been have a legal team that has to check things and licences with Boeing to cover, neither company wants to break the law. Even Lockhead Martin are tied up with the licencing, I am sure that even they would like to release an entertainment version.

At the moment I think you have three choices;

1. Stay with FSX until it get's to the point of total meltdown.

2. Jump to P3D, migrate the addons you can, pay extra for the ones you can't and either hope that LM make a 64 bit version and addon makers upgrade without charging or then gave to jump ship.

3. Start looking at X-Plane. Show the addon makers that there is a market and hope that they support it.

I have the 777 running smooth in FSX with AS2012, REX, FSGlobal and lots of airports running with DX10. I have made all the tweaks and pushed everything to it's limits. I am happy with it for the moment but I know there will be some addon that will push it over the edge.

What about the existing 777 or NGX customers? Will be a free update the P3D version? Any discount?

From what has been said so far, the answer is no free update and a (possible) small discount.

Ian R Tyldesley