post-164076-0-88430100-1386396823.jpg

post-164076-0-31827300-1386396834.jpg

post-164076-0-88581400-1386396843.jpg

post-164076-0-11812800-1386396853.jpg

I made a switch to XP10 and I`m not looking back.  :P

• Upvote 12

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow.  Some of those ground textures are extremely realistic.  Great shots.

Wow those are really nice.  Maybe it's time to install the demo if there is one still!

Wow those are really nice.  Maybe it's time to install the demo if there is one still!

I don`t think a demo is really representative of the full version (with the addons ofcourse). I don`t know if you can install those candies in demo.

Amazing! Really incredible shots!

With the demo, you can install anything you want as long as it's within the Seattle area. Planes, HD Mesh, weather add-ons. They should all work in the demo.

These shots are impressive. I have been looking into XP10 recently and i think it may be time to retire fsx soon.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Well, and w/ the *issues* w/ P3D V2's release, it does make the case for trying something very different.  V2 has some very positive sides for certain, but not being 64-bit, and not having complete add-on compatibility, does open the door for looking at XP 10.  Is it correct so say there are no seasonal changes w/ XP scenery?  That's pretty huge a deficit for me...

Is it correct so say there are no seasonal changes w/ XP scenery?  That's pretty huge a deficit for me...

Yes it is correct. It's probably the single most requested feature. However, AVSIM will soon make an interview to X-Plane developers ( http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427919-questions-for-laminar-research-users-invited/ ), so we will probably hear what are developer's plans about that.

Great screenshots...plus you deserve a medal for impressing my wife with some of those gems, not an easy feat, I can tell you! 

Seriously impressive stuff.

Yes it is correct. It's probably the single most requested feature. However, AVSIM will soon make an interview to X-Plane developers ( http://forum.avsim.net/topic/427919-questions-for-laminar-research-users-invited/ ), so we will probably hear what are developer's plans about that.

Personally, while I see where other simmers are coming from with XP lacking seasons and I feel it's something worthwhile to pursue, if LR do add this feature I hope it can retain the 'instant' dynamic time duration without having to load scenery. Pressing shift K & shift L and watching the time of day whizz forwards and backwards always impresses people when I show them. It's a very unique feature that I fear would be lost if we had seasons and had to re-load new textures each time we wanted to jump from winter to autumn.

These are stunning!  Are we looking at XP11 any time soon?  If not, I'll probably get myself a copy of XP10.  These pics do sell!

These are stunning!  Are we looking at XP11 any time soon?  If not, I'll probably get myself a copy of XP10.  These pics do sell!

By my estimations we have 3-5 years of XP10 it could be longer depending on how far we extend it.......

Personally, while I see where other simmers are coming from with XP lacking seasons and I feel it's something worthwhile to pursue, if LR do add this feature I hope it can retain the 'instant' dynamic time duration without having to load scenery. Pressing shift K & shift L and watching the time of day whizz forwards and backwards always impresses people when I show them. It's a very unique feature that I fear would be lost if we had seasons and had to re-load new textures each time we wanted to jump from winter to autumn.

I agree with you! :smile: As I already said in the past, IMO the best solution for the future is to implement seasons with shaders, instead of texures. This has a lot of advantages (among which it doesn't require textures reload). FlightGear is already using shaders to model autumn and snow cover, and it's already quite good even if the feature is still in experimental stage.

Given the timeline of past and current releases, it'll be at least two more years before XP11. Possibly three.

However, a big update (10.30) with new features and improvements will be released on Q1 2014. Of course, it will be free for current XP10 users.

I agree with you! :smile: As I already said in the past, IMO the best solution for the future is to implement seasons with shaders, instead of texures. This has a lot of advantages (among which it doesn't require textures reload). FlightGear is already using shaders to model autumn and snow cover, and it's already quite good even if the feature is still in experimental stage.

On the other hand, as I pointed out already several times :P , seasons are implemented in X-Plane since years, although different as the most users would expect.

It is correct that you can't SEE seasons. But you will FEEL them, when flying XP.

What???  :O How? If you forget to turn on the anti-ice switches, you will fall from the sky. And you will have a much longer braking distance due to icy runways. Unortunately this can't bee illustrated in screenshots or videos - but seasons are definitely there ...

This is a general "problem" of X-Plane: there are many, many things you can't see in screenshots or videos, thus people believe they are not there - although they are simulated (but don't appear visually). E.g. wake turbulences of the planes flying in front of you (try the air refuel "mission" in XP and you will see what I mean), slipping, ...

At least for me, it is more important having things simulated (even if not visible) than having things which are visible, but not simulated - I'm more the form follows function guy, than function follows form <_<.

And some more (in my view) important features in regard of FLYING: http://forum.avsim.n...e/#entry2704551

Remark: of course there's nothing wrong with seasons also being visible ...

Apart from the above written: the screenshots are very impressive ...

EDIT

@hollow1slo: it seems you haven't installed the Europe library yet. It replaces the buildings with more european looking ones.

On the other hand, as I pointed out already several times :P , seasons are implemented in X-Plane since years, although different as the most users would expect.

You know, in order to sell a product you have to give users what they expect. Insisting on the fact that seasons effects are simulated is useless at this point of X-Plane development and adoption. It's obvious that it's the feature most requested by potential users.

Bottom line, you won't convince potential users to buy X-Plane saying that seasons are there even if they are invisible. You convince them by making seasons visible. :smile:

You know, in order to sell a product you have to give users what they expect. Insisting on the fact that seasons effects are simulated is useless at this point of X-Plane development and adoption. It's obvious that it's the feature most requested by potential users.

Bottom line, you won't convince potential users to buy X-Plane saying that seasons are there even if they are invisible. You convince them by making seasons visible. :smile:

Yes ... I know ... although it's somewhat a pity. People are very often judging a product on "how it looks" and not "what is inside".

They like more sucking on colourful and very sweet candy although it's not this good to their teeth and their weight  :lol:  compared to a cough sweet which has the healthier ingredients.

EDIT: Or, to put it differently - if something LOOKS realistic, it is not necessarily realistic (for the "as real as it get's" fans ...)

But we are getting off topic ...

Yes ... I know ... although it's somewhat a pity. People are very often judging a product on "how it looks" and not "what is inside".

They like more sucking on colourful and very sweet candy although it's not this good to their teeth and their weight  :lol:  compared to a cough sweet which has the healthier ingredients.

EDIT: Or, to put it differently - if something LOOKS realistic, it is not necessarily realistic (for the "as real as it get's" fans ...)

But we are getting off topic ...

You need to combine both in order to gain the WoW factor as we call it here.  I understand what you are saying as far as atmospheric conditions and all but if it doesn't look the part the right conditions haven't been realized......

Now with that being said there is someone out there working on it as we speak.... :P

That second and fifth shot are incredible!

Do you know what the time of day and date in the sim was?

Whatever it was it sure brings out the best in XP10's lighting and sun angles etc..

I've not seen any pics of XP10 like this. I may have to look into purchasing it.

More! :lol:

I must say these are the best XP10 shots I've seen.  Shot 2 looks amazing.

I made a switch to XP10 and I`m not looking back.

Your post has me downloading the demo just to finally see for myself.  

Thank you guys. Uwespeed, thanks for the link.

The funny thing is that these are actually my first shots, and I didn`t even care much about lighting, shades, clouds etc.

I just thought It looked fine and took a couple of them. But as I sad before, you don`t have to look for the sweet spots around too much, as the currently available addons simply do it for you.

That second and fifth shot are incredible!

Do you know what the time of day and date in the sim was?

Whatever it was it sure brings out the best in XP10's lighting and sun angles etc..

I've not seen any pics of XP10 like this. I may have to look into purchasing it.

More! :lol:

How do you like these?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/428500-and-some-more-from-nice-france/

The shots were taken in December, at approx. 15:00 LOC. A big plus for XP10 is that the time of day selection doesn`t reload the whole sim all again, so you can basicaly do it  on the fly.