Sign in to follow this  
dighost

DX10 Fixer worth it?

could agree more with JCOMM ive been "simming" since 1999 and my sim is the best its ever been. DX10 fixer is fantasic  

14ppkc-6.png

I am technically not a ver yadvanced person, i use a mid range PC, but after reading through gsome of threads at the DX10 support forums here (and elseweher) i got it all set up properly within a few days. no mor OOM's a more flzuid and atable sim, no issues with AAand with the latest version of the DX10 fix applied almost all sceneries work like a charm now undre DX10.

Some ORBX sceneries still need some updae, but this is a known issue and has already be noted by ORBX and also confirmed to be fixed in te near future ahead. So to sum it up:

The DX10 fixer is fully worth its money in my opinion as it really offers a superb and stable sim for me here now - and tere is great support available for it (!) as well - and on my PC - at least - i did not note any loss of performance at all but - on the contrary - can now easily fly into highly memory demanding scenery such as FSDT's CYVR in demanding planes such as PMDG's great 777 even with lots of nasty weather with heavy winds, rain and lots of clouds and all that around - but - no more OOM since switching to DX10.

It all may require a few atemots to get AA and al that set up properly, but sure not really that long at all.

So: I am also one of those who are most happy now with FSX due to DX10.

Cheers, Christoph

I was skeptical of this product because of it's price tag for what I thought it did but as I was limping along with DX10 and was at my wits end I just yelled "Shut up and take my money" and gave the fixer a go and I have not regretted my decision.  It gave me a substantial performance boost and fixed all the bad night textures in one click.   It does fix 99.99% of all airports.. it is unfortunate that I own one of those .01% airports.   FlyTampa seems to not give a damn about the fixer being installed one way or the other, at least for Chicago Midway.   Other than that, everything else looks great.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

I was skeptical of this product because of it's price tag for what I thought it did but as I was limping along with DX10 and was at my wits end I just yelled "Shut up and take my money" and gave the fixer a go and I have not regretted my decision.  It gave me a substantial performance boost and fixed all the bad night textures in one click.   It does fix 99.99% of all airports.. it is unfortunate that I own one of those .01% airports.   FlyTampa seems to not give a damn about the fixer being installed one way or the other, at least for Chicago Midway.   Other than that, everything else looks great.

Did you check their website? They updated all the major sceneries..

From what I read, Steve's fixer does a great job, but you can apply most of the fixes manually if you want to.

The main reason I have not switched to DX10 is the lack of decent anti-aliasing (using Nvidia Inspector).

IAN

You can get the exact same AA as you'd in dx9, in dx10, you just didn't investigate enough.  ^_^

11011534336_ce3ca43f5a_o.jpg

1. Smoother performance

2. Savings in VAS

Well worth it!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

Definitely a must have too if you're not planning on a rig upgrade for P3Dv2 or X-Plane 10...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Perhaps if I could address the three main issues, water, which Ron has suggested REX4, get Vsync to work  and AA, then I'd give it a go for third time. Has anyone managed to address the AA issue? For me it's a real sticking point to install something that looks inferior to what I enjoy at the moment.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Yep AA is my issue too - I think we must be missing a trick here somewhere because others seem to have overcome it.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

The only issue I had with AA and DX10 was jaggies in the selection window. Being a painter, it was important to me for checking my work. I forget which setting it was, but even that was cured. I have 8x in the Fixer and 4x Sparse Grid Supersampling in NI. Doubtless someone will put me right on these figures but I have nary a jaggy in sight. GTX680

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

8x in fixer and 8x sgsaa here on 660ti clocked to 1280/7000 MHz

Everything smooth. Remember to check anti aliasing in game too - it won't work without it. Fixer has also a great feature with setting bloom intensity - 60 on plane, 60 on lights, 100 for rest - looks supercool :)

Remember to check anti aliasing in game too

Then you might as well not use the external AA settings.

@up I thought I saw this in manual. But actually You may be half right - on dx10 there is no AA when I turn this option on in game without external settings. So I'm not sure about it now will test it further. But if nvinspector is set to override than I don't see why there is no point in using it like I said.

@ Jim Skorna

If you're even slightly interested in helping people, Jim, when folks are discussing, and perhaps in the process of learning about DX10, then you should at least use your long years of customer service - and read up on how AA is derived when using FSX with DX10. Steve's retail DX10 Fixer manual has been published in a number of posts, on his blog site, as well as with his free patches, and the FSX - DX10 "How-To" guide has been published at the top of the DX10 Discussion forum for at least fourteen months.

When you are in DX10 mode the main anti-aliasing options in the Nvidia or AMD control panels do not work.

- That's why we do not use the external settings for AA. Inspector cannot override FSX setting., and so it has to be set in FSX, and this is done automatically by the Fixer.

It would be so much better if you were to contribute to the discussion, as you used to do when in the employ of Active Sky, instead of this continuous sniping which does nothing except add in a hint of an unpleasant agenda.

Paul J 

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I have tried the DX10 shader patch  did not notice any improvements, you should try the free shaders before deciding as many have mentioned. I think I did notice the AA was much better.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I'm getting sick every time when I think of the Fixer. I was switching DX modes back and forth every week or so, because DX10 mode with the fixer working really good, awesome smooth performance, but after few days of usage, everything become really wrong, lots of stutters, lower fps, really really frustrating experience. And I mean, every single time I switched to DX10 with the Fixer, I started to lose my mind after few days when all these anomalies started. I asked for help couple of times, blaming effects and lights converting by the Fixer, but no body have a clue. DX9 rules big time, never had such a big problems with it. I bought the Fixer only because of smoother performance, bloom, cockpit shadows and bigger OOM margin. But screw all that when you can't set it to be stable all the time, and above all consistent.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.