Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dighost

DX10 Fixer worth it?

I've been away from flight simming-- but just recently got back into it and installed Rex 4 and ASN.  The last piece of the latest upgrade binge appears to be the DX10 Fixer program (or so I think).  I don't have DX10 preview mode selected, and was wondering if it is worth getting this program and setting FSX to use DX10??  I've seen comparison screenshots of FSX in both DX 9/10 modes and to be honest other than some shadow and water shades I don't see a big difference.  Also, worth noting, I use the Shade program.   So should I upgrade this or use the cash on something else?

Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You don't need to buy the fixer to try DX10.

Besides the visual changes DX10 provides many see dramatic performance boosts.

Apply Steve's fixes from the library and see what changes happen for you.

A lot of this is system specific so what others see may not be what you see.

regards,

Joe

Dighost, don't take any notice of Jim Skoma , he is still waiting for gas lighting to make a come back. :lol:

Dx10 with the scenery fixer is the way to go IMHO. If you want to see for youself before forking out some dollars, you can try the free ware DX10 tool.

But to get all the benefits, Steve's fixer is the way to go.

Pop into the dedicated DX10 forum here on Avsim, where you will get all the info you need And then you will be able to make a decision.

Use the free fixes as Joe suggested and save your money. You'll get all the benefits of the fixer for free then you can see for yourself. Then see if you want to purchase the Fixer. 

If you fly dusk/dawn with some older airport addons that are not compatibile with the free DX10 fixes,

then Steve's fixer is for  you.

It will fix ~99.9% of the airport sceneries and runway lighting for you.

If on the other hand,you fly only during the daylight hours in FSX,then just use the free DX10 downloads from AVSIM.

Personally,for me it was worth the price.

From what I read, Steve's fixer does a great job, but you can apply most of the fixes manually if you want to.

The main reason I have not switched to DX10 is the lack of decent anti-aliasing (using Nvidia Inspector).

IAN

Does this mean I should turn DX10 on? Better performance? My hometown airport (Logan) is FlyTampa, and I don't think DX10 Compatible. :huh:

Looks better, turn on light bloom and get an FPS boost, self shadowing in some cockpits and no more OOM errors for me, what's not to like!!

Wouldn't go back to DX9 now, sure it's early days and devs are fixing a few things so they work fine but it's like a .5 update to your sim.

DX10 Fixer was the WORST thing that could happen to X-Plane 10 for me, and DCS too.

Don't buy it !!!! Stay away from it. It can get even worse if you get crazy and also add to the pack something like FTX Global and, for instance, ASN.

The three together, and a couple of superb aircraft, killed almost all of my X-Plane and DCS flying time - terrible!!!!

Now, in serious mode:  The Fixer represented for me a NEW WONDERFUL SIMULATOR.  I have the smoothest ride of my life, enjoy the greatest graphics effects ever experienced in FSX, and don't really find the time, lately, to start any other flightsim!

Can it be achieved with the free fixes? I really don't know, because I tried to some 6 month ago and gave up, with the end results, and some problems, being rather annoying for me. I'm also a bit lazzy these days, and the fixer does the work for you, and it's clean :-)

I don't have Steve's Fixer yet and have been researching switching to DX10.

But I would add that Steve appears to give very active support on the DX10 forum.

B.

Based on the feedback for DX10, I am going to give the free fixes a try.   Thanks!

you won't regret it, this tool is not only worth it, it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY for any serious DX10 simmer! :im Not Worthy:

After reading this I decided to get it too. I will report how it works with ftx global, Rex direct 4, ASN, GSX and PMDG as I suppose that other addons won't be affected.

Hope to get some nice results :)

Hmm, I must have something else going on in my system.

I bought it and tried to use it.  Now, whenever I try to use DX10, I get a crash to desktop.  FSX complete shuts down and closes.  I had to go back into the Fixer and switch back to DX9 just to get FSX to run.  I can't even get DX10 to work by switching from within FSX now.

So, I am stuck with DX9.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

Hmm, I must have something else going on in my system.

I bought it and tried to use it.  Now, whenever I try to use DX10, I get a crash to desktop.  FSX complete shuts down and closes.  I had to go back into the Fixer and switch back to DX9 just to get FSX to run.  I can't even get DX10 to work by switching from within FSX now.

So, I am stuck with DX9.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

You can get help. Go here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Don't give up just because of a glitch which can be fixed.

I might try deleting my old cfg (or moving it) just in case there were some changes that the fixer didn't like?

PJ wrote an extensive DX10 set up guide, and is worth reading. Starting with a new fsx.cfg is a good idea. And follow the guide and add to the fsx.cfg one step at a time.

You can get help. Go here http://forum.avsim.net/forum/569-dx-10-discussions-hints-and-help/

Don't give up just because of a glitch which can be fixed.

Listen to the man. I had several abortive attempts at swapping to DX10 but faffing about with a fix here, a tweak there a 'you need the latest fix' etc. drove me nuts! Then DX10 Fixer came out. Hardly any learning curve to fret about, just follow your nose. Like my signature says: There's no going back! I think some people are trying to be too smart with it.

Oo! I feel a rant coming on. Best stop now.

OK - small review from me. 

DX9 - NEVER AGAIN. 

I also tweaked some of my NVinspector settings according to J van E thread made some time ago here. I am so GLAD that OP created this topic. I am actually in a new SIM! 

THANK YOU. :) 

It wasn't worth it for me at all.

It seems to benefit weaker systems the most, but it highly depends on your current configuration whether you are going to see an improvement. For me, DX10 default performs WAY better than DX9 default. But if I tweak my DX9 properly (BP=0) I get this exact same performance boost and in fact, DX10 performs very slightly worse for me.

You can also expect some bugs at night on Aerosoft airports. For example when you turn you landings lights to off, some of the airports lights will turn off along with it.

Well, this old fart finally got DX10 up and going.  Thanks for the suggestions -- they worked.

Wilson