Sign in to follow this  
apollomaker

Questions For Early Phenom Pilots

(...)

p.s.  Has anyone found the pitot heat switch?  I can't seem to find it it's probably right under my nose!

Isn't that one called 'ADS-AOA' and located on the heating/ice protection panel?

Ryan, thanks a lot for your quick valuable comments; looks like I'll stick with my FeelThere rendition a little bit longer ...

p.s.  Has anyone found the pitot heat switch?  I can't seem to find it it's probably right under my nose!

I got it to work by using the default key command... 

BTW I've put up a user review here.  I'm quite impressed.  Carenado have added a number of things to the G1000 they've implemented that weren't there in previous releases, such as location tracking in real-time on the GPS info, Weather (range adjustable, but not azimuth/bore, big deal -- it's real-time updating while you fly), fully implemented checklist you can work through and mark off, flight plan creation, a variety of system status checks, etc.  Quite a lot of work has clearly gone into updating the built-in G1000 without it requiring the plane be $60 or $100 for sale. :)

Still using default MS nav data so that may kill things for some of you, but I really don't care. :)

Everything else seems quite spot on to me.  I wasn't sure about the pitot thing, I'd not put on de-ice, you can check this in the status page; I'll contact Carenado about it (nothing mentioned in the manuals re: pitot heater) and see if they have something to add there.  They usually update any niggles brought up online.

You should see this thing in P3DV2.....

Steve

I had the AOA switch on auto and it wasn't working - probably needs to be on ON. But I also ended up using shift H.

For flight plans - how did you get the buttons working... I'd enter my fix and press ENT but it wouldn't take it.

And one thing that frusterated me is that there is no main/operating manual.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Can anyone confirm what it has in terms of fadec and vertical autopilot modes (ie are we stuck with vertical speed mode only?)

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

FLC not working.... Obviously no VNAV

Other default modes work fine

FADEC not working

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

FADEC not working

FLC not working

Hi Ryan -- your observations here confirm that the heart of this plane is dead (at present).

Aircraft of this class (and up) are flown with the autopilot and one that depends on FADEC to manage its engines must have functional FADEC.

What is motivating Carenado's decision to put out a plane with its "heart" missing?? I have been working hard to find a reason to buy this add-on but cannot.

Thanks again for your observations and comments.

Hi Ryan -- your observations here confirm that the heart of this plane is dead (at present).

Aircraft of this class (and up) are flown with the autopilot and one that depends on FADEC to manage its engines must have functional FADEC.

What is motivating Carenado's decision to put out a plane with its "heart" missing?? I have been working hard to find a reason to buy this add-on but cannot.

Thanks again for your observations and comments.

I like the fact that they got rid of all that computer crap I'm a pilot not a button pusher. I love the A320 once I figured out how to bypass all that computer bs sorry but playing with a computer inside of my computer isn't my idea of fun. I will never understand everyone's desire to play autopilot simulator and hit the AP button at 200 feet, how is watching the autopilot fun?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

FLCH and VNAV do work in the FeelThere Phenom ...

Yes, and in the F1 Mustang too. As they should. I have both of these planes and enjoy flying them. I note that the functionality of these two planes is OLD sim technology -- nothing new or difficult to implement. Yet so critical to realism.

History repeats itself.

FADEC doesn't seem to work well for me, there's really no detents, but I'm only into the beginnings - haven't touched the manual yet.

Ryan, as I understand it, there are no detents on the real thing other than a gate to go past when going into the "war emergency power" :lol:  setting.  The other settings are simply marks on the quadrant.

Scott

Nice to have choices.

AP flying along with flight planning is an interesting simulation in itself, and there are products out there that do that all thoroughly. PMDG's are my favorites there.

In this mid-tier though, yes, I do like actually flying the plane. There's still plenty to program around flight-planning, but it's just traditional FSX-style stuff.

Ryan, I'll tell you what I do when I get home from work later re: entering the flight plan. If it's not working with the steps outlined in the included G1000 manual, report that to Carenado.

Ryan, as I understand it, there are no detents on the real thing other than a gate to go past when going into the "war emergency power" :lol: setting. The other settings are simply marks on the quadrant.

Scott

Yes I have set the throttles to the indicated TO/GA, climb and max cruise stages and the engines seem to me to perform as they should in each one of those settings.

There must be some vertical VNAV as I was fooling around with the AP and locked myself into racing down the runway towards the San Francisco hills without the ability to get airborne the first time out. :).

The cabin fans for the ECS are loud as heck, though. I prefer to virtually freeze/sweat instead. ;)

I like the fact that they got rid of all that computer crap I'm a pilot not a button pusher.

To each their own, but what you're basically saying here is that you want a Phenom model that, well... isn't a Phenom model.  The reason planes like this are able to be certified for single pilot operation is due to their level of systems automation.  Take those systems away, and you're not flying a Phenom.

I completely "get" enjoying planes with more manual systems.  I like "doing it myself" too, which is why I enjoy flying piston planes with manual systems.  Give me throttle-prop-mixture that is completely up to me to manage properly and I'm happy.  But when it comes time to jump into something modern like the Phenom I expect to have critical systems that make the plane what it is be properly modeled.  If FADEC isn't working (and I don't know if it is or not, I'm speaking solely to your comments about being glad automation is removed) then it isn't a Phenom.  This is a critical system component in this aircraft.

Scott

To each their own, but what you're basically saying here is that you want a Phenom model that, well... isn't a Phenom model. The reason planes like this are able to be certified for single pilot operation is due to their level of systems automation. Take those systems away, and you're not flying a Phenom.

Exactly. Single pilot certification would not be possible without being able to free-up the pilot to handle other parts of flying. And FADEC works better and more consistently than human input to engines. What some miss is that this plane (and similar planes) are built around the G1000 and its autopilot functions. It is the heart of the aircraft.

Happy Flying!! :-)