Sign in to follow this  
SpoonerFLIGHT

Go buy Prepar3D v2.2 It's Amazing!

As someone who was enamored with the improvements Flight offered over FSX (and appalled by the regressions), no, no Flight did certainly did not look better than P3D 2.2.

It is clearly intended for the end-consumer, or it would not be sold individually through a store on LM's website.  It was intended for institutional-use only (professional or academic institutions) it would be sold through channels targeted at them only.

If you are concerned that the terms of the Academic license may not apply to you, get the Professional license instead.  It's really that simple.

I have no concern whatsoever, as I already bought my license. I merely responded to post Nr. 21

"Looks" are all simply someones impressions. Ever look at some guys wives? :)

For those of us with GTX580's it's not so much fun :(

Yes I've been wondering about this. I have a 560ti but I'm not prepared (no pun intended) to buy a new one just for P3D. But I do not need to max everything out either all I want is a smooth, stable sim where I can have some shadows. I'm not looking to do anything to crazy.

So hopefully being sensible with my settings will allow me to have good results.

Unless anyone wants to trade their Titan for my GPU.....

Yes I've been wondering about this. I have a 560ti but I'm not prepared (no pun intended) to buy a new one just for P3D. But I do not need to max everything out either all I want is a smooth, stable sim where I can have some shadows. I'm not looking to do anything to crazy.

So hopefully being sensible with my settings will allow me to have good results.

Unless anyone wants to trade their Titan for my GPU.....

What are your add-ons of choice? I think the big killer is wanting complex payware aircraft to work just as they did in FSX, and expecting a big performance boost at the same time. I don't use them (as I've said before) and P3D2 not only looks better than FSX (IMO) it runs far better and smoother than I ever managed with FSX on DX10 (DX9 was always a slide show for me with reasonable settings). Even with v2.0 being rather unstable when it came out, I'm pretty sure I can categorically say that I've not run FSX since installing 2.0 back in November.

I mentioned it before... If it wasnt for PMDG not having a p3d versions yet, I would have given FSX the boot right now. It looks great!  Dont expect perfection, and theres more work, but unlike previous p3d, it wasnt too flyable with the issues. 2.2 has changed all that. Yes Im a tube flyer, and im waiting for more airliners, but so far im flying QW 757 and the AXE along with some other GA. Others will be supporting it soon. 

Case in point for one example. Last night I tested some airports. I hoped around from major payware airports I have from FSDT and FB, changing aircraft as I go and doing some flying around the airport as further test. 

The VAS stayed at around 1.8 GB remaining the whole time. Try and do that in FSX without restarting the sim. 

The cloud shadows are stunning. A whole new dimension and immersion factor. Yes you do have to be careful and balanced with settings as we are still pushing are systems, but theres no fooling around in the CFG.  All done within the sims settings. 

When FPS do get a little lower from pushing to the limits, it feels way smoother than FSX at those FPS. 

As for those skeptical that LM will pull the rug from under us casual simmers.... I highly doubt it. They listen to us in the forums for issues and address them quickly. If they didnt care or had that plan to ditch us in the future, they wouldnt be paying much attention to us at all. 

This is real. The 3PDs are excited because of the potential they have. Try it out.  And remember where Microsoft is with FSX. No where to be found. LM is right there with us and it keeps getting better and better. They are committed. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I have the usual addons, Carenado to PMDG and everything in between but I'm trying to be realistic with what I achieve. I loved P3d v1.4 so I'm sure I'll like 2.2 or whatever version it is when I buy it

I'm looking for stability, some performance improvement (not necessarily FPS but just general smoothness) and I want to see some shadows.

I'm willing to configure my sliders appropriately too.

Maybe I'll have a look at over clocking my 560Ti too

As for those skeptical that LM will pull the rug from under us casual simmers.... I highly doubt it. They listen to us in the forums for issues and address them quickly. If they didnt care or had that plan to ditch us in the future, they wouldnt be paying much attention to us at all.

One could of course also look at us, the simmers, as the ideal testing platform :rolleyes:. There is no way a corporate would be able to pick up so many bugs unless they employ several hundred or thousand people to do what we do...look for mistakes, report them and wait for the publisher to iron it out.

No but seriously, LM is top :wub: and my license is already in the bag...pending installation this weekend

I don't see where it's so "Amazing" either, Microsoft Flight looked better.

I was a MS Flight beta tester and I still have Flight installed (follow the link in my sig). So I know with certainty that Flight does not look better than P3D . . . and I'm talking about all of Flight, not just the free part . . . which was just the "Big Island" of Hawaii, which was done in MUCH greater detail than the rest of the available scenery ("The Hawaiian Adventure Pack" and the "Alaskan Wilderness Pack") all of which I have.

Flight is not bad for anyone who just wants a basic flightsim/game, but it does not offer nearly enough to those of us who are looking for more than that.  Flight does a few things very well, but it also lacks so much (No ATC, no Flight Planner, no AI traffic, very limited scenery coverage, limit weather themes).

I also own FSX and X-Plane 10 (Plus Aerofly FS . . . I was also a beta tester for Fly!).  For me, P3D2 is the best flightsim I have ever used . . . by far.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

It's funny seeing people say PMDG or bust because I used to be enamored with complex airliners in FSX. It's all I'd fly. I felt the same way.

But when I started flying in real life I realized how much more interesting GA and corporate flying are. Most pilots will tell you that airliner ops are some of the most boring flying you can do. It's true.

It's funny seeing people say PMDG or bust because I used to be enamored with complex airliners in FSX. It's all I'd fly. I felt the same way.

But when I started flying in real life I realized how much more interesting GA and corporate flying are. Most pilots will tell you that airliner ops are some of the most boring flying you can do. It's true.

I can see what you mean and would probably agree with you, if I too had the chance to start flying small GA in real life that I would also simulate that at home to perfect things. Hopefully in a few years I will be able to afford my PPL too..but Switzerland is not exactly cheap :)

Many of us have not been around to see new sim platforms released, since FSX has been the only MS flight sim for some time now……

For an oldie like me, who has seen (and bought) them all since 1994, and re-purchased hundreds of $$’s worth of add-ons as they are redeveloped for the new sim version,  here’s my perspective on how something like P3D will play out:

Initially, many will stay with FSX (or even earlier versions of FS),  since there aren’t that many add-ons made for P3D, and almost none (none that I know of) that will work with P3D but not with FSX or early versions of MSFS. 

But that day will come-  there will be a tipping point for everyone as to upgrading to P3D, and it’s usually talk of add-on developers developing for the new sim version only.  There will be many screams of dismay but eventually it will happen, although I may take years.  And moving to P3D will involve a look at the hardware platform, most likely the GPU.

There’s another aspect to a new sim version too.  Before FSX,  we would regularly get a new MSFS platform every 3-4 years.  The add-on developers charged (understandably) at least an upgrade price for add-ons for the new sim, it gave them an ongoing revenue for their products and to support development for new products for future versions of the sim.  I don’t think that P3D is stable enough yet for developers to ask for users to pay for upgrades to it.. although this v2.2 might be that point with some hot-fixes for the flight planner, etc.  So,  based on a historical perspective only,  I would add that there will be a cost coming for good add-ons upgraded from FSX to P3D- especially as P3D morphs away from FSX with the addition of new features-  almost certainly when 64 bits arrive.  We need to support the developers if we want the flight simming world to survive (and I’m not a developer, so I have no horse in this race).

Thanks,  Bruce.

that's all I have to say, now go shopping :Peace:

This thread needs to go in the Hanger Chat forum for those that normally don't go to this forum will see what the current word is about the sim.  Actually what would be hilarious is if this thread was put in the FSX forum, sadly it wouldn't take too long for it to get locked...  

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

For anyone who liked the visuals and smoothness of MS Flight, you'll love P3D.  It's far and away the most visually stunning GA simulator on the market today. I flew yesterday around Seattle (Orbx) with FSG Real Weather and the sense of being there with the clouds and shadows was amazing, not to mention the smoothness (30-40 FPS with settings nearly maxed).  My wife, who generally hates flight sim stuff, came over to the "cockpit" to watch as the lightning and clouds reflected on the water.  

For anyone who liked the visuals and smoothness of MS Flight, you'll love P3D.  It's far and away the most visually stunning GA simulator on the market today. I flew yesterday around Seattle (Orbx) with FSG Real Weather and the sense of being there with the clouds and shadows was amazing, not to mention the smoothness (30-40 FPS with settings nearly maxed).  My wife, who generally hates flight sim stuff, came over to the "cockpit" to watch as the lightning and clouds reflected on the water.  

Hey Mark,  you got me thinking.. Perhaps I should start setting up P3D as a GA sim until the 777 arrives. Any suggestions for a good P3D compatible light twin?  Will also do a bit of research myself.

Thanks.

Rob Prest

Hey Mark,  you got me thinking.. Perhaps I should start setting up P3D as a GA sim until the 777 arrives. Any suggestions for a good P3D compatible light twin?  Will also do a bit of research myself.

Thanks.

I use the Real Air Duke v2, which is a great plane. It's not officially supported, but I've used it for many hours and the only thing that doesn't work is the custom sounds for switches.  I don't have experience with any other twin, sorry.