Sign in to follow this  
BilboBaggins

Frooglesim vs. FSXGenius - a general concern

Given that the purpose of AV is to provide protection from the internet downloads there should be no question of its being disabled while downloading from the internet. 

On the other point, if sometihng's too good be true then it probably is - though some people fail to realise that  simple point..

I use Bitdefender Total Security 2014 and Malwarebytes Anti Malware Pro and they both pick up some of the dll files in the Flight One Citation Mustang as malware. They also pick up one of the dll files associated with the RealityXP GNS as malware.

In the past various anti virus suites have picked up the Flight 1 wrapper as a false positive.

I've never used Norton... having to try and pick its claws out of friends' computers over the years was enough warning for me. However, I have read that the 2013 version is a totally new version that is a big improvement over older versions which were indeed excellent examples of bloatware.

Getting a bit back to the main issue at hand. I've noticed that most if not all of FSXGenius's videos have the comment sections almost empty. I find that VERY hard to believe that people are not going to comment on his videos which means someone is moderating his comments. I've also noticed that his profile on avsim here was visited yesterday: http://forum.avsim.net/user/322615-fsxgenius/

He was on vatsim a few days ago as evidenced here: https://vatstats.net/pilots/1218773

He covers his tracks surprisingly well for a popular youtuber. I can't imagine deleting all those comments on youtube/facebook/twitter. Also I know he's been trying to cover his tracks because Belynz has made a video about this April 21rst.

The thing that would really help with any lawsuits(if there are any) would be to answer how you send the money over to him. But that is between him and his "customers".

Oh yeah seems like that guy indeed is a scammer. 

To be honest I don't understand why anyone would pay such a large sum of money for a gaming PC to a random guy on the internet, I certainly wouldn't.

I've just paid nearby PC business to build both of my high end PC's, while it might not be exactly as cheap as building one myself would be it's still way better value for money than any "Alienware" or other big brand PC would be. And no risk of getting scammed as it's a legitimate registered business. 

I've always built my own.  Get to choose my parts, review them before assembly, methodically put them together and lay out the wiring the way I want, and know at the end of it all that anything odd is my own responsibility. 

It's weird that anyone would choose some random guy on the internet to assemble a PC (I'm speaking from a US perspective, though, mustn't assume that's the universal one).

Marc, do you use Norton 360 Premiere Edition?  If not, you're talking apples to oranges.  I know Norton creates false positives (other AV systems do, too, as well as Windows Smartscreen); I also know there's enough legitimate, professional, licensed software on my computer from a bunch of companies (not just flight sim stuff), none of which have ever sprung a false positive on me or needed me to disable the firewall to allow the validation server to work.  That's all fact.

Regardless of whether you want to blame Symantec or not (they are pretty comprehensive in crowd-sourcing info on the internet at this point for the purpose of generating heuristics for downloaded files, not just relying on signature databases and such), reality is, they're identifying something wrong in the assembly of specific files by a specific company that doesn't occur with anything else.

Unless there's specifically someone at Symantec out for Flight 1 or something bizarre like that... I'm going to trust them before I trust a small indie, even if some of the stuff they do (and have done since I started using them, in 1995 or so) goes FUBAR and becomes an education in the entire Windows OS architecture when you have to fix it. :)

People can narratively claim this or that AV software is fine, but chances are pretty high, in my opinion, that they're nowhere near as thorough as Norton -- McAfee included.  And even Norton doesn't really solve everything.

So, there's that.

Steve

I've not had to turn off firewalls or av to download via f1.

Hirdy

My understanding was he would charge a small fee to skype with you to help tweak your PC for FSX use. SO in that context there would be some trust built so not that random anymore

ZORAN

zoran,

Well that's a far different, more trivial story than the implication Frooglesim is making.

Sigh... as with anything on the internet these days, it's almost impossible to tell what is real, and not.

Oh well.

Hirdy2013, same question to you as Marc: what AV do you use?

Watch Froogles video about this.  FSX Genius is taking money and not delivering the PC's He comes up with excuse after excuse. The latest claims he is hospitalized with Meningitis yet he posted a new video May 1st but claims he made it in February. Only problem is the files it creates on his screen( showing how to install and use the software) are 5/1/2014 and the software he downloads says latest version 4/25/2014. Very shady to me.

Richie Walsh

Well, Richie, to be fair: is there evidence of all this other than a couple of Youtube vids, Froogle saying so and maybe some Facebook posts?  It may be the case.  It may be the case David Love Brice accused Tim Taylor of asking him for bail money to get him out of jail.

Or it may be like Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart fluffing each others' ratings by generating scandal about each other, both of them being entertainers above all, truth be damned.

On the internet, you just don't know.  If you're closely involved, maybe you do.  But the high melodrama online just in general leaves me suspicious, weary of it all, and inclined to just stay away more and more, I have to say, sadly.

Steve

On the internet, you just don't know.  If you're closely involved, maybe you do.  But the high melodrama online just in general leaves me suspicious, weary of it all, and inclined to just stay away more and more, I have to say, sadly.

I think the internet is pretty much the best thing that has ever happened in human communication since humans developed writing. 

Before when information was available only in TV & newspapers etc it was much easier for governments to control and manipulate flow of information, even supposedly democratic western governments were guilty of that. Now with increasing amount of people having free access to internet it's impossible to prevent people from gaining access to information, no matter how undesirable it might be to those in power. 

Of course a lot of critical thinking and source criticism is required to handle all this information, still it's way better than relying on single, more or less biased source of information like many had to do before. 

I noticed recently a Youtube by Frooglesim indicating that FSXGenius had been, it looks like, scamming people out of money offering to build them PCs and never fulfilling after receiving money.

A poster showed FroogleSim Youtube's in the the Microsoft Flight Forum . AVSIM took it down within minutes.

Well, Richie, to be fair: is there evidence of all this other than a couple of Youtube vids, Froogle saying so and maybe some Facebook posts?  It may be the case.  It may be the case David Love Brice accused Tim Taylor of asking him for bail money to get him out of jail.

Or it may be like Bill O'Reilly and Jon Stewart fluffing each others' ratings by generating scandal about each other, both of them being entertainers above all, truth be damned.

Steve

I don't have a horse in the race. I was saying he seemed shady. Didn't say he was guilty of anything. Just passing on what Froogle said. He made some valid points in his video and yes it is one side but in his video he points out all attempts to get the other side have been ignored and blocked. Not my fight. Just mentioning the parts that got my attention.

Richie Walsh

Hirdy2013, same question to you as Marc: what AV do you use?

I'm using AVG.