Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

Important: for A2A C172 Trainer Owners

The rebate is $50 to cover the original purchase price of the FSX version. You buy the P3D version at full price, then send A2A an email with both order numbers and a request to relinquish the FSX license. They refund the cost of the FSX version and at the end of the process you own only the P3D. Not complicated - actually it took me longer to write the description than it did to get the rebate.

EDIT: and yes, I bought the professional license.

The rebate is $50 to cover the original purchase price of the FSX version. You buy the P3D version at full price, then send A2A an email with both order numbers and a request to relinquish the FSX license. They refund the cost of the FSX version and at the end of the process you own only the P3D. Not complicated - actually it took me longer to write the description than it did to get the rebate.

EDIT: and yes, I bought the professional license.

Take note that this is only the case when you have bought the C172 for P3D only. If you have installed it in FSX too at any time in the past your only option is to buy the plane again.

Since I bought the plane in the past for FSX and since I only am entitled to the pro license I will have to buy the pro version for 80 dollars after which I will get a rebate of 30 which means I have paid 50 now and 50 when I bought the plane initially which is a total of 100 dollars... Imho this is a bit too much. At first I thought I could get a P3D license for free, then I thought it would cost me 30 bucks extra and now 50... this is getting a bit too much imho.

There are developers who charge NOTHING for a P3D version or a small fee. I don't understand why A2A should act different. Having to buy the exact same plane twice is too much and unfair so unless A2A comes up with something else I willl pass on this 'deal' and forget about A2A.

If you have installed it in FSX too at any time in the past your only option is to buy the plane again.

I don't think that's correct.  It's OK to have used the plane in FSX in the past.  When you relinquish the license, you're saying that you won't use it in FSX in future.  So my sequence went like this: September 2013, pay $50 for the FSX version.  September 2013 - May 2014, use it in FSX.  May 2014, buy the P3D Professional version for $80, relinquish the FSX license (promising not to use it in FSX from now on), and get a $50 rebate for the FSX version.  My additional cost for the P3D version, $30.

There's still an additional charge - essentially a $30 fee to go from FSX to P3D.  But not $50.

Jan,

The A2A link above states to make sure you uninstall your current version from FSX before exercising the rebate. The way I read it, that means if you have an FSX version installed in P3D and/or FSX, purchase a P3D only version and uninstall the FSX version from both FSX and P3D to get your rebate.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

+ 1

I will give up my C172 FSX license and get a P3D V2 Pro C172 License and see how that pans out as far as cost is concerned but I will not buy another A2A plane until they start making Academic version license holders prove they are undergraduate students. I don't mind how much it costs and I don't mind subsiding students but I AM NOT PAYING MORE FOR THE ADDONS THAN FAKE STUDENTS! Its basically the same as piracy.

I don't think that's correct.  It's OK to have used the plane in FSX in the past.  When you relinquish the license, you're saying that you won't use it in FSX in future.  So my sequence went like this: September 2013, pay $50 for the FSX version.  September 2013 - May 2014, use it in FSX.  May 2014, buy the P3D Professional version for $80, relinquish the FSX license (promising not to use it in FSX from now on), and get a $50 rebate for the FSX version.  My additional cost for the P3D version, $30.

There's still an additional charge - essentially a $30 fee to go from FSX to P3D.  But not $50.

On the A2A forum someone posted I had to pay 80 bucks and I would only get a 30 dollar rebate... even though I clearly stated I only use P3D right now. But well, I see you DID get your rebate, even though you clearly bought the plane long before P3D v2 was released so if you get the 50 dollar rebate, so should I. Maybe I will give this a go anyway... Boy, do I hate all those licenses...

What exactly did you mail? "I just purchased the C172 Pro license for P3D and would like to relinquish my FSX license"...? Plus both serials? That's it?

Take note that this is only the case when you have bought the C172 for P3D only. If you have installed it in FSX too at any time in the past your only option is to buy the plane again.

Since I bought the plane in the past for FSX and since I only am entitled to the pro license I will have to buy the pro version for 80 dollars after which I will get a rebate of 30 which means I have paid 50 now and 50 when I bought the plane initially which is a total of 100 dollars... Imho this is a bit too much. At first I thought I could get a P3D license for free, then I thought it would cost me 30 bucks extra and now 50... this is getting a bit too much imho.

There are developers who charge NOTHING for a P3D version or a small fee. I don't understand why A2A should act different. Having to buy the exact same plane twice is too much and unfair so unless A2A comes up with something else I willl pass on this 'deal' and forget about A2A.

Why $30? You should get a rebate of what you paid when you purchased the FSX version of the C172; $50. Which means you'll pay $30 for the P3D licence, totally $80 which is right for the P3D Professional licence. Remember that you won't be allowed to use the C172 in FSX again after that.

But I still agree on your views about charging more for Prepar3D. PMDG have an excuse because they had some licencing problems with Boeing, but Carenado are offering triple installers for nothing more, and Majestic will provide a special Prepar3D version free of charge. But whatever we're saying, I think they're set on the licencing. I'm still glad they've finally decided to officially support Prepar3D.

+ 1

I will give up my C172 FSX license and get a P3D V2 Pro C172 License and see how that pans out as far as cost is concerned but I will not buy another A2A plane until they start making Academic version license holders prove they are undergraduate students. I don't mind how much it costs and I don't mind subsiding students but I AM NOT PAYING MORE FOR THE ADDONS THAN FAKE STUDENTS! Its basically the same as piracy.

Unfortunately I don't think they will check whether someone is really an undergraduate student or not, just like Lockheed Martin aren't doing so. At least you should feel pride for being honest.  :smile:

But I still agree on your views about charging more for Prepar3D. PMDG have an excuse because they had some licencing problems with Boeing, but Carenado are offering triple installers for nothing more, and Majestic will provide a special Prepar3D version free of charge. But whatever we're saying, I think they're set on the licencing. I'm still glad they've finally decided to officially support Prepar3D.

It remains to be seen what PMDG and Majestic are going to do, or how much a premium they will charge for "Professional".  For example the Pilot version of Majestic might work fine in Pro P3D, but will the Pro version of Majestic, with all the cool failure stuff, work in Academic version of P3D.  Or perhaps the Pro version of PMDG NG(X) will have different features than the Academic and will only work in Pro P3D.  It's all hypothetical to me personally, because I don't have P3D yet, but we might be seeing the beginning of the chickens coming home to roost for those who chose a particular license of P3D.

On the A2A forum someone posted I had to pay 80 bucks and I would only get a 30 dollar rebate... even though I clearly stated I only use P3D right now. But well, I see you DID get your rebate, even though you clearly bought the plane long before P3D v2 was released so if you get the 50 dollar rebate, so should I. Maybe I will give this a go anyway... Boy, do I hate all those licenses...

What exactly did you mail? "I just purchased the C172 Pro license for P3D and would like to relinquish my FSX license"...? Plus both serials? That's it?

J van E, you seem to have a tendency to complicate things that are actually simple. ;) If you don't want to use your 172 in FSX at all anymore, you get $50 as a rebate for your original purchase. It doesn't matter what you buy (academic/professional) for the P3D licenses. You are getting the refund of your ORIGINAL purchase, since you're effectively "returning" it for the P3D version.

I honestly don't know how it could be any simpler.

I'm also tired of seeing people say "well, x developer offered a dual installer, why can't x developer do the same?" Just because one developer thinks it's the right thing to do legally and financially (absorbing the extra support costs and liability for P3D users) doesn't mean it's the right decision for all of them. I think people tend to want to support whatever method that guarantees they don't have to spend more money, regardless of how valid the developer's reasons may be.

• Upvote 1

It remains to be seen what PMDG and Majestic are going to do, or how much a premium they will charge for "Professional".  For example the Pilot version of Majestic might work fine in Pro P3D, but will the Pro version of Majestic, with all the cool failure stuff, work in Academic version of P3D.  Or perhaps the Pro version of PMDG NG(X) will have different features than the Academic and will only work in Pro P3D.  It's all hypothetical to me personally, because I don't have P3D yet, but we might be seeing the beginning of the chickens coming home to roost for those who chose a particular license of P3D.

You are right that Majestic might lock the Pro edition to the Professional licence, but there's a chance they might not because they are fine with the Pro edition being used in FSX, an "entertainment" product. Besides, the Academic licence is all about being an undergraduate and not where you use Prepar3D (as it used to be with Prepar3D 1.4), so I don't see any reason for Majestic to lock the Pro edition to the Professional licence only.

About the cost, they won't charge a premium because the website says "A special Prepar3D version will be available to our customers later at no additional cost".

Right now I'm not ready to commit to buying aircraft for P3D.  It's a beautiful sim and has potential but I see a lot of stutters and antialiasing problems with 2.2 on my HDTV display.  I'm waiting at least until 2.3 before I commit to it.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Just bought P3D V2 version for 49.99 (academic version) works as advertised - no 2.0 core needed as this new installer has it all ready - to buy the various P3D versions go to a2a store - here is link 

https://a2asimulations.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11&zenid=8ce5d1aff2af4d493c969b916a239b00

Rich Sennett

And let me ask you Richard do you meet the requirements of the P3D V2 Academic license? I.e. are you an undergraduate student?

Based on your avatar you certainly could be:-) Then again since you have been a member of a flight sim community over 3 and half years I wonder.

And let me ask you Richard do you meet the requirements of the P3D V2 Academic license? I.e. are you an undergraduate student?

Based on your avatar you certainly could be:-) Then again since you have been a member of a flight sim community over 3 and half years I wonder.

We get it, most people don't genuinely qualify for the license according to Lockheed Martin's requirements.  Kinda beating a dead horse here, nobody's going to stop buying it and it won't convince LM's legal department to change their mind. :)

Let me ask you if anybody wanted to see any proof about that?

So, yes, I'm student... maybe for the next ten or 15 years if I like (that's why I have an academic licence)

It's now up to you (or LM, but they do not care) to prove if I'm student or not,

Come on, why is the licencing debate coming up every week again and again?

Buy a professional licence if you feel you have to, other would buy an academic or developer licence if they want.

Next step: topic marked with "risk of closure"

:rolleyes:

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------