Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

09JUN14 - PMDG 777 SP1 and 300ER updates

Thanks Brian  for sharing link.

Quote (Nixon)

"The SP is free because in a sense it's like a warranty. It corrects problems that occur once a product is sold. To answer your question re how are the costs covered I would suggest that any prudent company should allow for this in the initial cost or be certain that an SP is not needed."

Un Quote

Find it weird why he would ask if the SP is free ? Trying to start an argument ?. Not with me he's not !!

My question is simple and I will repeat it: Have PMDG announced any where that the service pack will be free? Therefore am not asking if the service pack will be free am only asking if PMDG have stated so.

My quote above is in reply to a point made by Kyle where he states that as the service pack is free it's unfair to expect PMDG to solely work on something that will not produce a financial return. That conversation took place before PMDG announced that weather radar would be included in the service pack. This is something that was not included in the RTM build. In fact until the release of Active Sky Next, PMDG were widely known to have the view that accurate weather radar could not be simulated. Therefore when I bought the 777 I didn't expect that weather radar would ever be included. It's obvious that the service pack not only corrects points that have come to light since release but also provides an additional feature. If PMDG have not stated that the service pack will be free then taking into account the extra work involved in simulating weather radar; it would be reasonable for PMDG to charge extra for an unexpected new feature. That is why I asked if PMDG have stated that the service pack will be free.

I have provided the above explanation to bring to an end the speculation that am trying to start an argument.

omg, can only beta testers at 2000+ posts make jokes here? ... ok, it was not the funniest i ever saw on the internet, but at least not as aggressive and disturbing as some messages i have read here

My question is simple and I will repeat it: Have PMDG announced any where that the service pack will be free? Therefore am not asking if the service pack will be free am only asking if PMDG have stated so.

My quote above is in reply to a point made by Kyle where he states that as the service pack is free it's unfair to expect PMDG to solely work on something that will not produce a financial return. That conversation took place before PMDG announced that weather radar would be included in the service pack. This is something that was not included in the RTM build. In fact until the release of Active Sky Next, PMDG were widely known to have the view that accurate weather radar could not be simulated. Therefore when I bought the 777 I didn't expect that weather radar would ever be included. It's obvious that the service pack not only corrects points that have come to light since release but also provides an additional feature. If PMDG have not stated that the service pack will be free then taking into account the extra work involved in simulating weather radar; it would be reasonable for PMDG to charge extra for an unexpected new feature. That is why I asked if PMDG have stated that the service pack will be free.

I have provided the above explanation to bring to an end the speculation that am trying to start an argument.

PMDG's SP's have been free for ages and they have decided not to split the one and only servicepack into a free bugfix and a payware upgrade.

Hope that helps ...

Ah very nice, sounds good, I know what you mean and also think it would be better for it to be that way. When one hand flies the ngx you can feel very engaged and connected, same for the 777 but with a smoother control, not like with an airbus where the controls are soft/bland and so automated, too simple as if one is flying some arcade plane, kind of boring to say the least (obviously I speak only for the fsx experience, I have no idea how it really is, I bet its pretty cool too :)

Well, this was the design philosophy Boeing decided to go with, trimming for speed done by the pilot. I believe the 787 is the same. Airbus of course have a different philosophy in regard to trim, allowing the fly-by-wire to trim for speed. In addition, flight envelope protection is different in the Boeing, in that the pilot can override the flight envelope protection with the use of greater force on the yoke. 

Personally, I prefer the Airbus approach. In the 21st century, I don't see why any pilot should have to manually trim for speed. In regard to flight envelope protection, there are those that favor the Boeing philosophy, pointing out that in an extreme emergency, it's useful for the pilot to have the capability to exceed the flight envelope. In my opinion that view isn't really relevant, when you look at the safety record of the Airbus, and take note of the fact that it's every bit as good as Boeing's... or perhaps better.

I bet this will start an Airbus/Boeing debate now... but that's probably preferable to the arguments that seem to be springing up about whether it's okay to ask if updates are free or not.   :rolleyes:

not like with an airbus where the controls are soft/bland and so automated, too simple as if one is flying some arcade plane, 

Your comment reminds me of the TV documentary on Discovery UK, where Iron Maiden front man and 757 pilot Bruce Dickinson flew the A320. He caried out all kinds of maneuvers, including whacking the thrust back to idle, and pitching up to the max, and extreme banking. While banking as far as the A320 flight envelope protection would allow him, he yelled... "Good grief, I've got to get me one of these."

If an experienced 757 captain thinks that of the Airbus, then we can be sure it's a mighty fine aircraft to fly... not soft and bland, and not like an arcade plane.

:smile:

the TV documentary on Discovery UK, where Iron Maiden front man and 757 pilot Bruce Dickinson flew the A320.

That was a great watch!

Chris Howard

considering the day could the fathers among us get the SP? :P

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Stay tuned for more information... :rolleyes:

Mo45

Yes??? Week`s almost finished(in fact it is over here in Singapore). Any updates? "It will be released when it is ready??"

Yes??? Week`s almost finished(in fact it is over here in Singapore). Any updates? "It will be released when it is ready??"

Darren,

If it's going to be the same thing with you, Please leave.

David Zambrano, CFII, CPL, IGI

I know there's a lot of money in aviation because I put it there. 

BetaTeamD.png

Well, this was the design philosophy Boeing decided to go with, trimming for speed done by the pilot. I believe the 787 is the same. Airbus of course have a different philosophy in regard to trim, allowing the fly-by-wire to trim for speed. In addition, flight envelope protection is different in the Boeing, in that the pilot can override the flight envelope protection with the use of greater force on the yoke. 

Personally, I prefer the Airbus approach. In the 21st century, I don't see why any pilot should have to manually trim for speed. In regard to flight envelope protection, there are those that favor the Boeing philosophy, pointing out that in an extreme emergency, it's useful for the pilot to have the capability to exceed the flight envelope. In my opinion that view isn't really relevant, when you look at the safety record of the Airbus, and take note of the fact that it's every bit as good as Boeing's... or perhaps better.

I bet this will start an Airbus/Boeing debate now... but that's probably preferable to the arguments that seem to be springing up about whether it's okay to ask if updates are free or not.   :rolleyes:

Your comment reminds me of the TV documentary on Discovery UK, where Iron Maiden front man and 757 pilot Bruce Dickinson flew the A320. He caried out all kinds of maneuvers, including whacking the thrust back to idle, and pitching up to the max, and extreme banking. While banking as far as the A320 flight envelope protection would allow him, he yelled... "Good grief, I've got to get me one of these."

If an experienced 757 captain thinks that of the Airbus, then we can be sure it's a mighty fine aircraft to fly... not soft and bland, and not like an arcade plane.

:smile:

I looked that episode up, its episode 4. He actually said first that it was more like a video game compared to boeing on his inital commentary, but offcourse then he said is was awesome, but then again he was with airbus people so he was rather bound to it I guess. I kind of agree that boeing is kind of limiting the use of this technology rather unnecessarily, but as far as fsx goes have you flown the a320 x extended? It is sort of boring to hand fly even in bad weather conditions, the plane is so stable and you have to do pretty much nothing, no effort and pretty much no skill required to make touch and go's, so for me the fun factor kind of goes way down. On the other hand it is not pmdg level at all, not even close, so its complexity is much lower too. However when it comes to autopilot full flights it is pretty much the same.

Even thou I am saying this I will probably buy the a320 from flight sim labs the day it comes out :D 

Stay tuned for more information... :rolleyes:

Until this very moment I stayed tuned to read more and more ######. 

I will untune myself for a few days. As this will lead to nothing....

I will be tuned when it is released. Have a nice informationless Sunday.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

I think PMDG is headquartered in Northern Nevada, somewhere around of KRNO/RNO, but HQ will be moving from Nevada back to Virginia, where the company was founded in 1997. I think... :D

It's been back in Northern Virginia for a few years now.  Take a look over your shoulder at the paperwork on the wall of the 777  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers