Sign in to follow this  
Konterhalbe

Pricing Policy

Sorry for the four times post. Was not my aim to spam the forum :rolleyes:

Hello!

I've got some questions I'm sure you do not want to answer: Why are getting the QRHs more and more expensive?

Is it just an easy way for you to make a big lump of money? (Don't get me wrong: PMDG deserves to get the biggest part of the pie, since it's an own league of software design) but i just want to know why the QRH for the 777 is about 90% MORE EXPENSIVE than the QRH of the 737? Do you have to put a greater effort in creating the QRH for the 777 than the 737? Does it take 90% more time to do it for the Triple, than for the NGX?

MD11: 45$

747: 80$

737: 70$

777: 130$

747 V2: 200+ ???

I bet you would not sell the QRH for the V2 for the same 80$ dollars as you do it know.

You say: The PMDG 747-400 Quick Reference Handbook is bound and prepared exactly like the QRH carried aboard every 747 currently flying.

Therefore you don't even have to re-create it for the V2 as I am expecting, that "The PMDG 747 V2 Quick Reference Handbook is bound and prepared exactly like the QRH carried aboard every 747 currently flying."

So, buying the QRH now and getting the plane as it comes to a release might be a good choice?

I considered to order the 747 V2 with a printed QRH upon release of the SP1 but mentioned the fact that PMDG products will be more expensive for P3D anyway I'm sure I won't buy either the plane "stand alone" nor the QRH.

Let me do the math:

747 V2: 99,90$ or more? 90 Dollars (about 65€) is already enough and exceeding the 100$ barrier would get you a definite NO from my side.

QRH: likely 200$?

So, where are we gonna end up? 300$+? I'm afraid ain't nobody got money for that...

I'm just curious how far you can get with your pricing policy until you loose a big part of your pilots to other aircraft developers as they are catching up pretty fast.

I've flown PMDG airplanes for almost a decade now but this trend makes me worrying about the future of high-quality flight simulation on the one hand and about PMDG on the other hand.
What a pity!

Greetings, Reinhard Ziegler

Because of licensing IIRC. Thus why you are not able to print out the 777 manuals.

Brian Evans

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I'd also say licensing... 777 is bigger, more expensive, more advanced, less common than the 737... I'd say these factors might come into the price set by Boeing for the licensee. There might also be the question on when was the license contract made... it might be that between 737 license and 777 license, Boeing decided to raise prices.

That, or it also might be actually more expensive to print - it might have more color printed pages, more pages overall... again, contract price might have increased in the couple of years inbetween models...

As for the price of 747 manuals... it seems to me that the manuals in shop are already Boeing licensed manuals... so I would expect them to stay at the same price. Unless they include -8 model in them and a newer revision when the time comes... in which case, they might very well be more expensive.

MD-11 - that is a different ballgame I think - those are in-house manuals if I am not mistaken..

--Peter Fabian 
RTFM.jpg

You're right Brian, printing out by myself is an option.

I might also consider to approach a print office to get one bonded version for a good price.

But let's see how much the 747 V2 will cost, probably I'm not getting it anyway.

Don't want to be a party pooper but a print shop is not( or I say shouldn't) touch it with a ten foot pole as it is copyrighted material. 5 of us at work were taking the same course and I was the only one willing to shell out the $300 for the materials (around 120 pages in a binder). One of the guys thought he'd just get it copied for the other 4. Lets just so no dice. So they had to shell out another $1200

Craig Theodore

If only more could get a larger insight to the behind scenes action - it really defines the price and makes these products under-priced, especially the 777 series! 

Boeing777_Banner_Betateam.jpg

- Luke Pabari

You're right Brian, printing out by myself is an option.

I might also consider to approach a print office to get one bonded version for a good price.

But let's see how much the 747 V2 will cost, probably I'm not getting it anyway.

The PDF files are locked and cannot be printed by you. Try and see - no print option. 

Wes Meyer

Wes, i don't know what you are talking about?
If I open the NGX-QRH and press CTRL+P it works for me like any other PDF.

Luke, I'm afraid i don't have the chance to see what's behind.

Maybe a 10min video documentary from PMDG would help to understand... ^_^

We can neither confirm nor deny that we have a pricing policy. :P

Matthew Bellette

Well just one thing though about the 747 QRH, those are official Boeing manuals, so basically I'm not sure about a v2 of that as it is already the real thing and not made by PMDG. 

Maybe it don't include the 747-8 version though but I'm not sure, but I don't think there is a huge number of differences with the 8i in the cockpit layout and things like that so I don't think there are a lot of new types of failures.

Aurelien Vandoorine

Save yourself some money (in the long term) and buy a tablet.  You can read (and carry with you) all of the manuals for PMDG and any other aircraft for that matter.  Plus it does so much more for Flightsim like charts, etc.  Not to mention all of the non FS stuff you can do with it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Save yourself some money (in the long term) and buy a tablet.  You can read (and carry with you) all of the manuals for PMDG and any other aircraft for that matter.  Plus it does so much more for Flightsim like charts, etc.  Not to mention all of the non FS stuff you can do with it.

I agree!  I went about cleaning my room last night and saw how much paper I had just sitting there with manuals, checklists, QRHs and so on, all printed on them.  So much wasted paper that I haven't touched since getting an iPad (but you could probably save a bunch by getting one of the Google, or Amazon versions - pretty sure a Kindle Fire costs less than my X-55).

Kyle Rodgers

Try having an overview chart, a STAR chart, a transition chart and an ILS chart opened all at once on a tablet though... 

Also:

Wes, i don't know what you are talking about?
If I open the NGX-QRH and press CTRL+P it works for me like any other PDF.

Not in 777.

--Peter Fabian 
RTFM.jpg

Try having an overview chart, a STAR chart, a transition chart and an ILS chart opened all at once on a tablet though... 

This is how I fly in the real world, actually.  Granted, I use an EFB app on my tablet, but having multiple tabs open in Chrome isn't too tough, either.

...and this is often why I dismiss the whole "the 737 is not made for a single pilot" argument.  I'd argue my work load is a lot higher at comparable times as a single pilot in a steam gauge Cessna than it is when I fly the NGX.  Between tuning, identing, twisting the various navaids/gauges, along with doing the chart dance on the iPad, and managing the radio, it's quite the handful.  The tablet actually makes some of that easier, because I don't have to flip pages around.  It's different, for sure, but I'd say it's easier over all.

Kyle Rodgers