Sign in to follow this  
clayton4115

Academic Licence

HUH? .. PMDG? There are those that prefer tube liners, & those that prefer GA planes, props, fighters, etc. Sure, PMDG has all the procedures etc..

I found that I certainly did not get any enjoyment out of reading a thick PDF's on how to start the thing, getting it in the air & then switching on the autopilot. They have always said that tubeliner pilots are glorified bus drivers.. no disrespect intended. But for me, single, twin & tri-props, with the occasional faster plane is the way to go. I prefer the 'low 'n slow' way.

For those that claim that PMDG is the best & will not change, stick to an old (6-7 year old) unsupported sim with no support from it's makers, came from ACES Gaming Studio, sold in toy stores,game shops etc (if you can still find it), or change to P3D, from Lockheed Martin, a training simulation that is constantly being updated. Different strokes for different folks, I surpose.

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

From someone who has just installed p3dv2 if have to say its very fluid love it and it will just keep getting better, only thing i notice is that instrument panels are too dark and nit very clear unless you xoom right in

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

I have installed the Academic version, but I haven't used it yet. I completely forgot about the watermark, and never even noticed it when P3D loaded up the default cockpit view of some jet fighter. I think that speaks volumes.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I would count myself as one of these PMDG lemmings.  

I also enjoy the A2A GA planes, the Majestic Q400 and the Twotter.  I think my reluctance to move over to P3D is because i would lose a part of my simulation experience.  I could replace the NGX with the iFly, perhaps the 777 with the Captain Sim 777, but for me at least it wouldn't be the same.  I would also have to re-buy the A2A stuff (something i find disagreeable).

Aside from that i would be buying P3D now, just for the DX11 support and slightly better VAS performance, even though i would need the professional license.

Ian R Tyldesley

Oh, dear. Not this again :rolleyes:

I'm afraid so....it also gets boring:(

So back to the topic... is there a discount for the Pro version if you already own the Academic? Say, I buy the Academic version, but get annoyed with the watermark, do I have to pay full price for Pro?

There's no "discount" but you do have up to 60 days to request a refund for the Academic version, then simply license the Pro version at normal price.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There's no "discount" but you do have up to 60 days to request a refund for the Academic version, then simply license the Pro version at normal price.

That seems quite reasonable, thanks.

I detect a little bit of a GA bias into some of the comments.  It is very true that there are PMDG "lemmings", but there are lemmings and "fan-boys" for just about every company you can think of.   If somebody is a GA flyer and wants to fly some officially supported A2A plane low and slow in P3D, that's great, but if you want to fly a 737 or 777 because that's your thing, then availability in P3D is a BIG factor in whether it is rational to transition to that platform at the present time.  Yet some of the P3D acolytes act as if that is somehow ridiculous.   I would be more inclined to think of somebody as a Lemming if they abandoned the planes they loved in FSX simply because the next big thing has come along.  Sure, one could run both, but building up a simulator is a lot of work, not to mention expensive, and as I read many P3D threads, it doesn't seem to me that it is the trouble free, tweak free, no fuss, no muss simulator that some were claiming it was from the very second it was released.  The P3D people need not get so defensive when somebody points out why they haven't jumped on board yet!

Good grief, do we know how to beat a dead horse here, resurrect him, and then beat him again, don't we?

Well, at least this "dead horse" hadn't had time to begin stinking too much...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

lol I find it kind of amusing when one type of FS flying is labelled boring by fans of another type of flying....that's a pot calling a kettle black.  It's either ALL boring or ALL exciting depending on who you ask lol.. :lol:

Two virtual pilots...one a bush pilot with his J-3, the other, an airline pilot with his NGX....they each have 2hrs to spend in FS....really, whats the difference?  Is plodding along around bush country any different than watching an FMS and magenta line in terms of excitement?  Both pilots spent 2 hrs flying what they enjoy in their relative flying environments to whatever level of 'realism' they imagine themselves in.