Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FogGobbler

new hardware (?) - GTX 970 4GB MSI

Hi guys,

what do you think about the GTX 970 MSI with 4GB ? At the moment I´m using a GTX 680 card, do you think the MSI card would make a noticeable difference?

Thanks,

Oli 

Yes this will be a big difference.

Which Sim are you using? If you are using a Sim which is GPU not really relevant like FSX, then I would say It would not make a noticeable difference.

But for P3D and X-Plane, of course ;)

Same case here EVGA 670 FTW II, planning on getting the 970, I mean for $325 and twice as much performance gain I believe its a no brainier.

I recently switched from GTX670 to GTX 780, and the difference was obvious. I believe with GTX980 would be even better. Im not sure about difference between 780 and 970. I will skip 980 and wait for next generation.  Or waiting for 2x780 SLI  when SLI will be ready.

Performance of the GTX970 is same or slightly better than the GTX780  but not as good at GTX780Ti.  I am going to pull the trigger on the 970 as well....upgrading from 560Ti so I should notice a nice bump in image quality and hopefully fewer stutters but I expect framrates to remain unchanged as that is mostly processor driven.  I am interested in how this card will perform with P3D.....I would imagine very well.

Oops sorry, just realized this is a post on the XP forum.....doesn't matter though, still a great card and a great price.

Found this on simforums from NickN the guru -

I don't know anything about the card. I don't own one, have not researched it since the 780/4770k system runs just fine and I really have no reason to look for any upgrade.

The bible states everything people need to know about what I think ... do you have a modern system now and want to play? got the money? have fun, don't have the money? don't be stupid

It usually takes 2-3 years between total platform/CPU/GPU developments to make a difference that has monetary value in return on investment.

What did I say in the bible?

RULE #1:

Be aware that when we purchase 1st generation (zero-day) release motherboards or video adapters they can come with new-product issues. If you are not somewhat tech savvy this could present an issue for you.

New release hardware can have manufacture design flaws that get fixed in the 2nd manufacture run of the product OR some kind of compatibility issue between devices is present the manufacture needs time to correct. The Sandy Bridge motherboards that were recalled back in 2011are a prime example of manufacture design screw-ups and there are many more examples I can site. Being someone who has been around the high-tech industry for almost 50 years I can say without reservation that we are all are paying for research and development when we run out and buy that new product on day-one of release, and the hardware manufactures love us for it, but then we get to play with the goodies first too!

RULE #2:

Do not purchase hardware with the thought that you will upgrade with better hardware in 6 months to a year.

There are people who go out and buy the latest and greatest every development cycle. They pay through the nose for that hardware and can probably afford it, but the fact of the matter is the boost in performance they get from renewing every 6 months to a year is VERY SMALL for what they pay. You may read all types of reports about such hardware in forums.. be aware, people hate to say the money they spent produced limited results, on the flip side people who buy cheap hardware will typically defend that mindset by making ignorant claims about compares with the better hardware that are totally false.. human nature prevails.

Bottom Line: You are far better off planning, saving and purchasing the right parts at the right time and enjoying that purchase for the long haul.

RULE #3:

Do not daydream about what is coming a year from now. It usually gets delayed and between now and then sitting there wishing and waiting will only provide another year of frustrations. (this is for people on OLD hardware, not something a year or 2 old but it can also be for the deep pocket money bag user too who wants to play and doesn't care if the boost they get is minimal for what they spend)

Performance of the GTX970 is same or slightly better than the GTX780  but not as good at GTX780Ti.  I am going to pull the trigger on the 970 as well....upgrading from 560Ti so I should notice a nice bump in image quality and hopefully fewer stutters but I expect framrates to remain unchanged as that is mostly processor driven.  I am interested in how this card will perform with P3D.....I would imagine very well.

Just to set this straight ... contrary to FSX/P3D, X-Plane much more GPU dependent, thus higher end GPUs can make quite a difference.

I am concernd about VRAM. Should i get the current 4GB ones or wait for 8GB cards to come out?

I am concernd about VRAM. Should i get the current 4GB ones or wait for 8GB cards to come out?

4gb is more than enough, unless you are running some crazy array of 4k monitors....

Hi, I'm in the same case. Owner of a 680, and ready to buy a 970. Of course it should make a big difference.

Pascal

Pascal, I have a 680 too. It gives me 30 FPS in most situations...and unless you also update your CPU, how can one expect going from a very decent 680, to the 980, or 970, to really be a good and easy R.O.I.?  That's the trouble I am having in going beyond a 680.  It was such a monumental release over the the last three prior versions to it.  I don't see the the R.O.I. of the same in comparing the reported performance of a 980, as compared to the FPS and graphic generation of your 680.

What's your view?

4gb is more than enough, unless you are running some crazy array of 4k monitors....

That is a myth. With X-Plane 10 in 1600 x 900 with (compressed) maximum texture resolution and HD Mesh 2 ALONE (no payware aircraft, airports ect.) you may easily exceed 4GB. My 6GB card uses 3.5-4.5 GB most of the time.

In other words, with high settings, even today 4GB is not enough.

NOTE: The VRAM monitor in X-Plane's settings is completely broken. It will say something like "1.8 GB", while checking with a GPU monitor in Windows you will see what amount is really used, and that is a LOT more than what X-Plane states.

Pascal, I have a 680 too. It gives me 30 FPS in most situations...and unless you also update your CPU, how can one expect going from a very decent 680, to the 980, or 970, to really be a good and easy R.O.I.?  That's the trouble I am having in going beyond a 680.  It was such a monumental release over the the last three prior versions to it.  I don't see the the R.O.I. of the same in comparing the reported performance of a 980, as compared to the FPS and graphic generation of your 680.

What's your view?

Sesquashtoo, I've been very happy with my 680, but now I'm also frustrated. First, 2Gb memory are not enough. I can't load it with lvl 17 Simheaven photoscenery at extreme resolution and HDR. It's one or the other. And except for a very good reason (like one day, the occulus rift finally entering the market and asking for every frame we can give it) I can't fly without HDR now.

Speaking of HDR, I'm wondering if I'll be finally able to activate 8x AA, which is a killer right now (8fps !) AA is the weak point of HDR right now.

As Andras said, X-Plane is more GPU dependant than CPU, at least if one already have a modern enough CPU.

I usually can afford to buy a new Nvidia card every two generations, and the time has come.

And frankly, the GTX 970 power/price ratio is quite hard to beat !

Pascal

Sesquashtoo, I've been very happy with my 680, but now I'm also frustrated. First, 2Gb memory are not enough. I can't load it with lvl 17 Simheaven photoscenery at extreme resolution and HDR. It's one or the other. And except for a very good reason (like one day, the occulus rift finally entering the market and asking for every frame we can give it) I can't fly without HDR now.

Speaking of HDR, I'm wondering if I'll be finally able to activate 8x AA, which is a killer right now (8fps !) AA is the weak point of HDR right now.

------------------------------------------------

Hello Pascal,   here is the way I have XPX.30 set up for running with my EVGA 680 2GB Super Clocked, and these were the settings that were in play today, for my screenshot snap-fest.  I just wonder what else I can squeeze out of video...that this doesn't do for me, if photoscenery has never truly appealed to me.  For you though...yes...perhaps on that account alone, going to a 970 or 980 is the way for you.  I am going to wait until Andras releases his v3 Mesh..and see what happens to my rendering.  If I have to go higher, truly...than 2GB's...then that will be the push for me.  Rendering quality, though?  I dunno....the 680 has been the best R.O.I. I have ever seen to date....and is a most hard R.O.I. 'act' to follow....

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/QEw

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/QEj

Cheers,

Mitch

Hey guys. Well I bought my MSI GTX 970 last week and on Saturday I was able to install it, eagerly to see my fps climb dramatically..

..well ..

it didn´t happen :-( . Flying around the KBUR area I only get about 30 fps in Carenado Mooney, but with microstutters and freezes. 

Flying in the KBOS area with the B1900D is not possible = slideshow :-( . That is so strange.. I had a GTX 680 before and I really can´t see any improvement at all. 

My rig : i7 2600k oc 4.6, 16GB ram, MSI GTX 970,Win7 64, xplane 10.30, newest nvidia drivers. My settings are quite high, but certainly not maxed out.

I tried disabling the pagefile and also set it to 1.5 x ram, but that didn´t have any effect. 

Does anybody have an idea what´s going wrong?

Bye,Oli

Hey guys. Well I bought my MSI GTX 970 last week and on Saturday I was able to install it, eagerly to see my fps climb dramatically..

..well ..

it didn´t happen :-( . Flying around the KBUR area I only get about 30 fps in Carenado Mooney, but with microstutters and freezes. 

Flying in the KBOS area with the B1900D is not possible = slideshow :-( . That is so strange.. I had a GTX 680 before and I really can´t see any improvement at all. 

My rig : i7 2600k oc 4.6, 16GB ram, MSI GTX 970,Win7 64, xplane 10.30, newest nvidia drivers. My settings are quite high, but certainly not maxed out.

I tried disabling the pagefile and also set it to 1.5 x ram, but that didn´t have any effect. 

Does anybody have an idea what´s going wrong?

Bye,Oli

Fog, since doing a full system clean...paying attention to every part, of my internals, I have (with a good overclock on my GTX680) climbed now into sustainable  55-70 FPS, with an easy climb and peaks today even past 130 FPS. See screenshot forum for the screen grabs and FPS counter highlighted.  I offer a suggestion, that you do a full clean as well, with a good high-pressure can duster, that also has a certified circuit-friendly cleaner propellant as well. In the HANGAR CHAT forum, I have highlighted the exact product I used, and where you can purchase it from, in a three-can pack for under $20.00   Doing this has been an amazing eye-opener.  Like I said, I am now getting simply (for me, past use..) unheard-of , FPS performance from my CPU/GPU and Motherboard, (it's obviously not all do do with JUST the GPU you are running.  I now see that the whole system in itself, is responsible...each part of it...is responsible for the final FPS count.  I went from 33-37 to 55-77 FPS range now, all the time..and with peaks as high, as 130 FPS.  That speaks for cleaning, much more than anything I can type to you.....   I hope you get final good results with your 970 card, as many are basing their FPS-boost hope also in the purchase of that series....

Mitch

Something is definitely wrong with your setup if you get worse performance. I bought a GTX 980 and I'm running with everything at a near max setting. With a Carenado (C210) plane at a payware airport (Mykonos) I get a minimum of 30fps. And that is with resolution at extreme and stuff like that :-)

Before I had a GTX680TI and the improvement is massive.

My best guess would be that your CPU is holding you back. Try dialing down some of the CPU intensive settings and see if that doesn't help.

I wonder if the 980 will be much improvement over the 770 4GB I use at the moment. I'm on the fence wether to upgrade, or wait.....

I don't think it will be worth the price to upgrade from a 770 to a 980. The 770 is still a good card and it has the same amount of VRAM as the 980. If you play other games, you could buy another 770 and SLI them. That would give you good performance for a relative low cost :-)

I wonder if the 980 will be much improvement over the 770 4GB I use at the moment. I'm on the fence wether to upgrade, or wait.....

What I think, is that the entire..the entire system must be looked at.  LIke I said, before I did a fin-by-fin, chip-by-chip, all-component deep clean of my system, my GTX680 would never go (and whose to say that it was to be ONLY blamed on my poor GPU...!!!) beyond a constant 33-37 FPS.  After my deep clean of my entire internals...hell...I am always NO LESS than 47-65 for most scenes, (with the EXACT same P3D/FSX sim configurations, nothing was touched, pre or post cleaning...) and many, many times my system will top out OVER 130 FPS...

So...it is quite apparent to me...that just if you keep ramming a newer GPU into your system, without paying attention to each part....yes...each part...not only the GPU/CPU combo,.......that we are chasing down the wrong  howl in the night....  I'll bet you right now...that anybody with a GPU, in the 500/600/700 series range...and that has not done some serious maintenence work on the whole system...probably has NEVER SEEN what their present GPU/CPU/SYSTEM SET CHIPS/MEMORY MODULES can actually do...for the FPS count...right now...before a new series XXX, and expensive GPU is put in place.  Don't believe me?   Look at my screenshot  grabs dated from the last three weeks, all showing massive FPS performance, ...then look back at any of my screen grabs from about a month ago and further back...and you will only see 33-37--40 FPS at the max (and that was an FPS spike, not mean average...).  That's all my system would EVER give me...with constants such as the same driver suite, the same in-sim settings, etc.  Bottom line to this user....FPS is generated by your WHOLE system, combined, and its level of cleanliness (heat holds down FPS production).

With now getting constant, 45-60/(highs of 130 plus!) FPS counts,from a GTX680,....has just saved me $300-$500 (or greater expense!) dollars!     There has been many posts so far about those that honestly are reporting almost nil-to in the boring range, difference in going to even the latest 900 generation GPU from their previous 600/700 series card.  Some have reported a modest 10-15 percent FPS increase from 3-10 FPS...for an over $350.00 and up, outlay!  If this is good R.O.I. than those users have money to burn.....   I'd like to see more people show what their cards are actually producing, in a screenshot grab..and ALWAYS show the FPS counter as I do.  Most people do NOT display what their FPS count is to generate the scene rendered.  I seem to be the only user that does this on a constant M.O.  Screengrabs are B.S. free zones...and what's also good about them, is that even if a user dumbed down all sliders to produce a 45-60-80 FPS screenshot, you'd clearly see with a simmer's eye...for we all know what level of sliders produce to create the scene for texture and scene complexity settings.  Before you decide, ask users you respect to post a series of screenshots for you...users that say they have such and such a card and series,....with both the FPS and flight x/y, altitude, speed lines fully visible...THEN and only then can you see for yourself....for yourself, with their system specs under their User Names,...and with also yourself, seeing the complexity of cloud base, ground textures, the general scenery complexity, and at what altitude taken....is if your pondering of a new $350 and up addition to your system, is worth it......or not.

People........please show  BOTH red information lines in all screen-shots...for that helps ALL users viewing to get a handle on what your system as published, can do...with the visual settings they see are happening, etc, and then can compare it to their own system.  When people state that they get **THIS** and **THAT** from their new graphic card...etc....let us all actually SEE for ourselves, as well....  I call THAT, a truly B.S.-free 'view zone'....then, and only then.

The only reason now, that I at present would go beyond my GTX680 2GB, would be to have more video-RAM on the future card...and something that I can not add on to my card at present, like a daughter-board.  I (yes..this is a personal opinion, yes...and I stated all within this envelope...) feel that a lot of folks are spending money for FPS increase, that just isn't going to to be there, to meet their expectations as the new card is being delivered to their door.  The entire system it sits in...must be looked at....   My 22 cents.....

Mitch

My system is super clean, and brand new:) I think I will hang around for a good 6-8GB card when they eventually come.....