Sign in to follow this  
scandinavian13

[Beta Preview] NGX P3D

Last week, you all got a look at the NGX with some SP1d updates. This week, you get the NGX in P3D.

Today's route was IAD-RDU-DCA to get a couple flights in and test the aircraft on the turn. This picture is on the OJAAY STAR into DCA, and thanks to ASN's newest Beta supporting P3D 2.5, you can even see a little bit of the weather radar in action to the east (and the fact that the wind is absolutely ridiculous at even mid altitudes today).

The main focus of this picture - and the reason I flew the flight with a 12 hour offset - was to show you the shadow play that Carl had written so vividly about when we were testing the 777 in P3D.

So, here ya go:

2015-2-18_22-22-33-546.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Wow that looks amazing!

I love the shadows in Prepar3d, they add a lot to the sim. Can't wait to fly the NGX in P3D!

Ryan, does this mean we'll be able to have Cockpit Shadows in the FSX Version if we use DX10 Fixer?

Cheers

Ryan, does this mean we'll be able to have Cockpit Shadows in the FSX Version if we use DX10 Fixer?

I can't really answer to that. I don't use DX10, or the DX10 fixer, and use of either isn't officially supported by us. This screenshot is of P3D, which uses DX11.

Well its pretty obvious that the boxes around the VC "walls" where somehow removed (in the p3d version), so if it is in the FSX version then we should be able to get shadows.

Well its pretty obvious that the boxes around the VC "walls" where somehow removed (in the p3d version), so if it is in the FSX version then we should be able to get shadows.

I'd be careful of asserting what might or might not be obvious. Things might look a certain way, but this is a different sim, with different limitations, which allows us to handle things slightly differently.

Supberb! The shadows look great and I am really enjoying them in the 777. I made the switch to P3D when PMDG released the 777 for P3D. Its kind of like when I was a teen I went out and bought brand new everything to switch from skiing to snowboarding. I had never tried it before and I just thought I would like it. I was so right I loved it right off the bat. I am betting that P3D will be the next big think just like beta/VHS and HDDVD/Blu-ray! I hope it pays off. There are some aspects that I don't like. I don't like how you can not add scenery while you are in the sim and my P3D doesn't seem to work with my Nvidia 3D glasses. Over all I like it a lot.

just like beta

That's one I haven't heard in a while.

Pretty sure I have Top Gun on Betamax in a box somewhere. I also found my old The Wall LP when moving stuff around the other day.

Maybe i missed it but will the p3d version be released with the sp1d fsx sp ?

Thank you, Carsten

Is it going to be implement the request weather from ASN as it is in the 777, actually for me is the most important feature that I really would like.

Last week, you all got a look at the NGX with some SP1d updates. This week, you get the NGX in P3D.

Today's route was IAD-RDU-DCA to get a couple flights in and test the aircraft on the turn. This picture is on the OJAAY STAR into DCA, and thanks to ASN's newest Beta supporting P3D 2.5, you can even see a little bit of the weather radar in action to the east (and the fact that the wind is absolutely ridiculous at even mid altitudes today).

The main focus of this picture - and the reason I flew the flight with a 12 hour offset - was to show you the shadow play that Carl had written so vividly about when we were testing the 777 in P3D.

So, here ya go:

The winds at the east-side went crazy the last days. I've done a flight from TNCM - KJFK with headwind of 145 - 155kt @FL370. But thanks to the snowstorm you can test the WXR pretty good.  :P

BTW. Nice shot of the P3D-Version. Is the NGX heavy on VAS like the 777?

BTW. Nice shot of the P3D-Version. Is the NGX heavy on VAS like the 777?

Haven't looked, or run into problems. It's still the NGX, though, and it's not like we heaped a whole bunch of features into it that would consume more VAS.

Kyle what are the average fps?

I won't answer that directly because FPS is so highly dependent on the user's system and settings. That being said, I get about the same performance as I do with FSX, even with higher settings in P3D.

approximate release time in order of magnitude? 

One International Standard Soon Unit.

I had the 777 up for a quick flight the other day and the "shadow play" was in full effect. I happened to be head-down looking at the pedestal when it entered into a turn and sunlight peered into the cockpit and just cast itself across the radios, knobs, switches, and other elements. The effect was so amazingly immersive... I just stopped and watched the light dance across the console. A screenshot couldn't do it justice - it needs to be seen in motion to be truly appreciated. A moment later the turn was complete and the cockpit was back in shadow, and it was back to the flight tasks at hand.

I cannot wait for a similar experience with the 737.

-Greg G.

Is it just me or are the reflections/dirt on the screens gone? 

I'm guessing its the angle Kyle took the picture at. I've noticed that the dust/dirt only appears when you look a certain way.

I would be quite happy to see the dirt disappear for the P3D version.....but not if it delays release :wink:

That looks very promising indeed! I will most likely purchase this and might even make that switch to P3D! :D

What I am wondering; did PMDG also update/upgrade the NGX with the screen drawing thing (is there a name for it? :P )?

For example: on the real plane the DEU's take a while to draw the displayed images on the DU's, which the PMDG 777 does very nicely. Whereas when you switch your ND mode on the current (FSX) version it is instant.

Does anyone know? It's a small thing but to me a great detail! :D