Sign in to follow this  
soloraj

9th March 2015, Steam Edition update goes into open beta

Guest JSkorna

I think you aren't stressing your FSX installation enough with high sliders, dense scenery, high levels of AI traffic, and serious weather!

Like Mathijs Kok, who reached the same conclusions without any stress tests at all I think.

Pete

1. Sliders full right except water at 1X high and auto-gen at Dense, LOD value at 6.5.

2. FSX Global Extreme Mesh, FTX Global, FTX Global Vector(all settings On), FTX Europe LC,

3. My Traffic X, all AI sliders at 100%.

4. ASN weather at maximum settings, except cloud draw distance at 90 miles. All environmental textures from AS 2012.

Never had an OOM.

Hello Peter,

Could I kindly ask you if I wished to install FSX SE alongside FSX on another SDD, what happens about third party aircraft and Airports. I see you can make it use the same scenery just wondering about the other addons.

I may well be doing a fresh install of windows shortly but which of course will mean wiping FSX but just wanted to know if it was feasible.

Thanks for your time.

Mark

1. Sliders full right except water at 1X high and auto-gen at Dense, LOD value at 6.5.

2. FSX Global Extreme Mesh, FTX Global, FTX Global Vector(all settings On), FTX Europe LC,

4. ASN weather at maximum settings, except cloud draw distance at 90 miles. All environmental textures from AS 2012.

Never had an OOM.

Jim, what addon aircraft and airports are you using most of the time?

Mark   CYYZ      

Very similar to my settings except I have autogen at one notch higher and lod-radius either at default (4.5) or 5.5. 

But what about the crucial factor -- scenery? At UK2000's EGLL version 3 I am lucky to get as much as an almost unflyable 10 fps and stutters once the AI traffic there has built up.  I switched to Aerosoft's latest EGLL in order to be able to fly in and out of EGLL in FSX -- even then it varied down to 15 fps and still stuttery. I had to turn AI down to 50% and back some of the other sliders off.

With FSX-SE, even UK2000's EGLL becomes flyable with 50% AI. and with Aerosoft's EGLL and 100% traffic, and higher autogen, I get 25-40 fps and smooth, going down eventually to 20-35 when allowing AI traffic to build up. And even if it gets down to 15 fps, it is smoother than FSX at 15 fps.

I'm very very pleased with it, as you can imagine from these results.

Never had an OOM.

Nor I, but that is probably because I don't have any complex add-on aircraft. With a hardware cockpit, no FS panels, using Prosim737 for the systems, I use a lot less VAS that the typical PMDG user. However, the free VAS can get very low when flying from one dense airport to another, eg. EGLL to EHAM or LFPG. I see it going down and down with FSX, with FSX-SE I see it going down too, but then up again when leaving dense airport areas. It's definitely improved, but, like you, this improvement isn't as important for me.

Pete

Could I kindly ask you if I wished to install FSX SE alongside FSX on another SDD, what happens about third party aircraft and Airports. I see you can make it use the same scenery just wondering about the other addons.

The other SDD is just another drive letter. My FSX and FSX-SE are on drive E:, whilst most of my scenery is on drive D:, separate SSDs themselves and separate from the Windows system SSD which is the usual C:.

The SimObjects section of the main FSX.CFG and FSX_SE.CFG files can give complete paths to the assorted aircraft and ther objects, so they can easily be shared. Only the Gauges and Effects folders, and maybe Sound, cannot be so re-directed, so I copy whichever bits out of the FSX ones to the FSX-SE ones.

Other add-ons like FSUIPC, ASN and GSX will need installing for FSX-SE even if already installed in FSX, unless you are reasonably proficient in hand-rediting the XML files (DLL.XML and EXE.XML). Even then, I'd let the installers do their job. The GSX one is the Virtuali Add-on Manager which can be dwnloaded separately in any case.  FSUIPC looks after both installations in one run, GSX and other installers may need to be run once for each FS installation (I have Prepar3D v1 and v2 too, so have to run Addon Manager install as many as four times!).

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Guest JSkorna

Jim, what addon aircraft and airports are you using most of the time?

Freeware aircraft, and default airports except for the 27 free ORBX packages. Once I taxi, take off, land, and taxi in, I don't care what my airport looks like.

But what about the crucial factor -- scenery?

Listed in #2, but if you mean airports, and I think you do, then default except for the 27 free ORBX packages of airports.

I don't check my FPS that often, even using the projector and wall screen like your set-up.

Pete,

Many thanks, so my FSX is on D SSD that includes all the files scenery as well. Thinking of if I go ahead of placing SE on the E SSD, so my understanding is just copy over what is in the users appData....roaming... FSX then copy the CFG file contents for aircraft...to the CFG SE then just reinstall ASN etc.

No doubt I have this wrong...but would like to try it....may save me a full install of windows again...but that could be on the cards..at some point in the future!

Many Thank Pete. 

but if you mean airports, and I think you do, then default except for the 27 free ORBX packages of airports.

Ah, all is explained then.

Pete

Many thanks, so my FSX is on D SSD that includes all the files scenery as well. Thinking of if I go ahead of placing SE on the E SSD, so my understanding is just copy over what is in the users appData....roaming... FSX then copy the CFG file contents for aircraft...to the CFG SE then just reinstall ASN etc.

Er, careful. AppData roaming contains the FSX CFG file, not the Scenery file. You CAN use the FSX.CFG file for FSX SE but it needs renaming. And you still need to edit it to make SimObjects point the the full paths, not the FS-relative paths, as I already expained.

The EXE.XML and DLL.XML files are also in there, so whilst you can use the same ones you'd need again to make sure the paths were complete. They aren't usually. And some of those add-ons may not be FSX-SE compatible.

The Scenery config file is in the ProgramData folder, not AppData, and that needs all the add-on scenery paths set absolute, not relative, as I've also already explained. If you have an editor which will do search and replace you could do that quite quickly by replacing "Local=" by "Local=D:\FSX\" or whatever the path to your FSX is. This is assuming all of your add-on scenery is already installed all in the FSX folder. Check that first.  Even if it isn't you could always do a second search & replace, searching "Local=D:\FSX\D:\FSX\" replacing by "Local=D:\FSX\" (of course change "D:\FSX\" in every case to your actual FSX path).

Pete

Can you please explain your obsession with the ability to run the simulator offline? Do you, by any chance, not have internet? Or are you able to magically run FSX on a laptop, and you're always on the go?

I'm not particularly "obsessed" with the ability to run the sim offline, but many others do find this important. On the other hand, are you in the habit of asking silly questions?

Of course I have internet. I'm posting here aren't I? :rolleyes:

Furthermore, there are many, many areas of this big world where internet connectivity is slow and highly unreliable. Why should folks with such poor service be deprived of the ability to run their simulator? It truly helps to keep other people's needs in mind... :Hug:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

When Im testing I often restart FSX many times in a short period but Im getting the message " cant start fsx ,its already running" or something like that so I need to log off to clear FSX-Se so steam can connect

Im assuming now with offline I wont be getting that message ?

ZORAN

When Im testing I often restart FSX many times in a short period but Im getting the message " cant start fsx ,its already running" or something like that so I need to log off to clear FSX-Se so steam can connect

This seems to happen if you try to close the Steam window too, after or before you close FSX.  The Steam app is actually still running. If I plan to have several FSX-SE sessions I just leave the Steam window in the background so that after closing FSX-SE I can reselect it directly in that Steam window.

Pete

This seems to happen if you try to close the Steam window too, after or before you close FSX.  The Steam app is actually still running. If I plan to have several FSX-SE sessions I just leave the Steam window in the background so that after closing FSX-SE I can reselect it directly in that Steam window.

Pete

Good to know, Thanks!

ZORAN

FSX always needed a few seconds to unload itself from memory and the page file, so quitting and immediately restarting it never worked.

Of course I have internet. I'm posting here aren't I? :rolleyes:

Smartphones can be used for internet access, but they can't run Steam and FSX, so *technically*... :P:lol:

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Accordiig to the latest beta, FSX: Steam Edition can now be used in Steam’s offline mode.

Freeware aircraft, and default airports except for the 27 free ORBX packages. Once I taxi, take off, land, and taxi in, I don't care what my airport looks like.

That definitely explains why you have never seen an OOM.  I can say on my system (also ORBX like yours), I don't get any OOM if either one of my arrival or departure airports is default.  And even with both highly detailed addons I don't always get an OOM.  I just flew the new PMDG 737 1D release with FSDT KJFK to KLAX and everything was fine.

Mark   CYYZ