Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Kane

Internet Explorer is no more

Microsoft has finally admitted defeat

A new browser coming out with Win10, a "defeat". What, in the "browser wars"? :lol:

I think it's just a new name, and a faster core.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Please don't be so keen to drag down IE. for many people of my vintage that was all we knew, it did us a reasonable service. Yes it can be improved upon but then again what we are using today will be out dated this time next year!

Phil

Please don't be so keen to drag down IE. for many people of my vintage that was all we knew, it did us a reasonable service. Yes it can be improved upon but then again what we are using today will be out dated this time next year!

OK except people of my vintage knew "lynx" which was text-based and good for use on dial-up connections.  It ran alongside other tools like WAIS and gopher.  Where there was better bandwidth, we ran Mosaic from UICC (on Unix any way).

When I went to OS/2, eventually IBM came out with their own browser (IIRC in Warp 3.0?) but quickly replaced it with Netscape Navigator which I think was just a follow-on to Mosaic.   Out of Netscape (eventually became Communicator) there came Mozilla (which I guess continues on these days as SeaMonkey) but most of the browser development activity moved to Firebird (later rebranded as FireFox).

IE was a "me too" from MS, much like Win 95 was a "me too" for OS/2.

scott s.

A new browser coming out with Win10, a "defeat". What, in the "browser wars"? :lol:

I think it's just a new name, and a faster core.

Yes they have been working on 'Spartan' for a while now. What the programmers do and what the marketing department do are two different things. 'Spartan' could have been called Internet Explorer 12 but obviously that IE branding has become so stained over its 20 year history that a restart is in order.

From what I have been reading 'Spartan' is new for Windows 10 so a new and fresh approach on things as they have to make up for bad publicity on Windows 8 as well.

Phil

20 years of life for IE is an eternity in computer software so all they are really doing is getting rid of the Internet Exporer branding and replacing it with something else. Like it or not when you sell an Operating System you do require some way of accessing the internet, even if you are a Chrome user or Firefox you have to use Internet Explorer on a fresh install of Windows to set those up. For many like me that was my only use of IE was to use it to install something else right away.

MS can do better and they admit that, this is why they are working on 'Spartan'

Matthew Kane

It.

Sucked.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

OK except people of my vintage knew "lynx" which was text-based and good for use on dial-up connections.  It ran alongside other tools like WAIS and gopher.  Where there was better bandwidth, we ran Mosaic from UICC (on Unix any way).

Lol memories when reading those program names ;-)

André

I just looked at this map, which is very up to date, and I've got to say... I'm surprised:

Browsers_map.PNG

Green is Google Chrome, Blue is Internet Explorer, Orange is Firefox

The majority of people in Japan and Korea, both super developed countries with the best internet in the world, use Internet Explorer??? What????

Ah...another opportunity to dump on Microsoft. Never give up...eh? That story is not quite accurate. IE will be kept for Enterprise users who require something other than really fast. Of course the story I read may be speculation/interpretation as well.

Ah...another opportunity to dump on Microsoft. Never give up...eh? That story is not quite accurate. IE will be kept for Enterprise users who require something other than really fast. Of course the story I read may be speculation/interpretation as well.

There's a reason the map above your post is colored like that, and its not that the world decided to dump on Microsoft. Its because the world choose which product fit its needs, and it was not IE.

MS is dumping the IE name for a reason. Its because its become synonymous in users minds with "Things I don't want", much like windows 8

Everytime IE would somehow become my default browser, I would yelp and switch back to something else right away. Not because I hated MS, but because IE behaved like poo, and Bing was...........  :wacko:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

My mate uses firefox, he's in Canada, where is that orange dot. lol

...come to think of it, i'm using Ie, and I don't see a blue dot in the uk either. I didn't run into any problems with Ie so found no need to use another browser apart from in testing. A fuss about, not much I think.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

AVSIM is the only website for which I use Mozilla's Firefox, and that is only because the forum software here doesn't behave well with IE10/11 at all.

Although I do have Google Chrome installed and available, I rarely use it...

...preferring to stick with good 'ole Internet Exploder, er... Explorer

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

AVSIM is the only website for which I use Mozilla's Firefox, and that is only because the forum software here doesn't behave well with IE10/11 at all.

Although I do have Google Chrome installed and available, I rarely use it...

...preferring to stick with good 'ole Internet Exploder, er... Explorer

I think it depends on how you use your browser. IE is kind of the Milk-toast of browsers: Plain, unexciting, boring......

The other browsers allow a much easier and more intuitive path to personal customization, and thats allowed a thermonuclear explosion of all sorts of apps to do just about anything you might think of at any given moment. IE, to an extent, lets you do some of this too, but its a bit more reluctant about it, and has a tendency to try to convince you to do things Microsoft likes.... Like use BING (Blearrrggghhh!) 

You can't really blame them for trying, but....... no.

The other browsers just tend to seem much more open, friendlier, and very often, faster during a time when MS, following its own agenda was very very very very slow to respond.

So people walked away, and the bad rep grew. To the point now, that they are forced to rebrand because too many people think of IE the same way I do.

Same as with Windows 8. MS created their dream os, but it was their dream of a smooth experience across all platforms, and everyone elses... Meh, moment.

I've never ever had so many people arrive with brand new machines begging to have the "free" operating system that came with it removed ASAP. It was eye-opening.

You could blame the public, but whose job is it to make products people actually want?

Now it seems like they might have to just about give windows 10 away to get people to give them another chance. Hopefully they won't totally blow it, but they have to stop that we-know-best stuff, and start listening to the users.

Devons rig

As mentioned above, IE isn't dead. Actually it will continue to be updated/available for those users with "legacy" hmm "enterprise" applications.

It might not be the fastest, but it has served many people incredibly well. IE was designed when the Internet was for browsing; chrome/Firefox have come around later and were designed slightly differently.

I view the browser wars very much like the FS9/FSX/P3D/XPX debates. Each browser has their own special use and forte, along with downsides to each.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."