Sign in to follow this  
tkellogg

What's going on with P3D

These look good, where can you get these?

There made by Foxs, only ever seen them in UK and Ireland 

Is that Hale and Pace?

I believe so, yes.

I can understand JV's angle, he needs to make the dollars and "sense" line up and he has to pay his talented crew of designers/developers which ultimately means more products being released which is good for those that enjoy Orbx products (like I do).

Personally I think it's great to get as much information as we do from LM ... be it official, unofficially leaked, and officially leaked.  When I look back at FSX development days it was pretty much Phil Taylor exclusively, now we get to see multiple LM developers providing information, insight, and open communication ... it's a rare opportunity.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi Rob...we are about the same age group i think! we are so lucky to have the hardware available to us these days....most youngsters in these forums dont know of commodore 64 and zx81 from uncle clive...we are so spoilt...... :unsure:

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

.most youngsters in these forums dont know of commodore 64 and zx81 from uncle clive...we are so spoilt...... :unsure:

.... let alone wooden toys and baseball cards

Rob, that video is gold! Thanks for that...*ahem* sorry.....Is reet good tharris, gi' me a beltin' belly laugh!  :P

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

.... let alone wooden toys and baseball cards

Exactly :rolleyes:

Peter Webber

Prepar3D v5 & MSFS / Windows 10 Home Edition / CPU i7-7700K / MSI Z270 XPower Gaming Titanium / Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB / Corsair Vengeance DDR4 32GB 3000MHz / MSI Geforce GTX 1080Ti Gaming X

I believe LM's approach is to fix what they know is currently wrong and/or source of performance/memory issues in P3D/ESP ... it would NOT make sense to duplicate/migrate to 64bit what is known to be not working as well as it could. I believe LM want to get to a position where they can feel comfortable with the code base and then move to a 64bit ... I guess V4.0 is out of the bag.

So, what I read from that is no 64bit version until v4. Not entirely inconsistent with what JV said ;)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

"version 4" seems to be in the realm of "we're thinking about it."
 This would be true with any other company, but I've never seen a company project farther into the future than Lockheed when it comes to plans. It's ... what they do.

We're a multi-billion dollar defense contractor that's always at the cutting edge of technology, why on earth would we be working on a 64 Bit version?
 yeah

OK Guys....Listen once and hear me twice!! We know that P3D is here because of Military and commercial customers.....Fact

We also know that both large commercial and military customers live by a budget. Takes 2 or 3 years usually to make a change like say new equipment to run simulators on 64Bit.....Fact

We know now that V3 and V4 are coming pretty soon based on these latest announcements.....Fact

We know that it takes quite some time to make the code change from 32 to 64 Bit.....Fact

My deductions now based on facts:

1. LM has had Coders that we don't hear from working on the conversion for a long time and most likely have a working version running some where.

2. Military and commercial customers know pretty much when 64 Bit and DX 12 will release due to their budget planning.

3. There may be developers out there today working with new code in order to make products for military, commercial and maybe even us. It only makes sense. LM is smart enough to know that a Sim with no airplanes or tanks or ships or Goats will be of no use to anyone! Even if this is not released until 2016 you can bet it is moving forward as we keep guessing.

So listen once and hear me twice.....this will come to be!!

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

So, what I read from that is no 64bit version until v4. Not entirely inconsistent with what JV said ;)

I hope not. What new and exciting improvements would version 3 bring then? Building autogen and AI Traffic switched from the CPU to GPU?  The fabled DirectX 12? LM has taken FSX/ESP/P3D as far as it will go with Version 2.x. A 32 bit Version 3 would be the biggest sim-related disappointment to ever hit this message board.

A 32 bit Version 3 would be the biggest sim-related disappointment to ever hit this message board.
I don't think it has to be. Version 3 could be a final clean up of version 2 maybe to include DX 12 and fix any problems to work out with Windows 10. Maybe with a heads up that V4 is n the pipeline and gives folks a decision to make. Be happy with what you have or get the wallet out and move forward 64 Bit and new add ons. May be a 6 month to 9 month heads up. Folks gonna moan and complain no matter what.

Sam

Prepar3D V5.3/12700K@5.1/EVGA 3080 TI/1000W PSU/Windows 10/40" 4K Samsung@3840x2160/ASP3D/ASCA/ORBX/
ChasePlane/General Aviation/Honeycomb Alpha+Bravo/MFG Rudder Pedals/

Not entirely inconsistent with what JV said

Hmmm ... have to really stretch the imagination on that one ... I believe JV said "never" but I honestly don't care ... it changes nothing.

LM is smart enough to know that a Sim with no airplanes or tanks or ships or Goats will be of no use to anyone!

LM have their own internal resources making ships, boats, goats, scenery ... it's just what they make may not be for public consumption.

V3 and V4 are coming pretty soon

I'm not aware of any official release date for V4?  No "official" date for V3 either ... only thing I suggested was v3.0 will be <1 year away.

I assume everyone has got there v2.5 12946.0 hotfix 4?   http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/prepar3d-v2-hotfix-2-5-12946-0-2/

If not, be aware the "usual" set of 3rd party products that have issues with version changes will need to provide updates of their products, those products that are NOT tied to versions will work just fine.

Cheers, Rob.

A 32 bit Version 3 would be the biggest sim-related disappointment to ever hit this message board.

What if the v3.0 32bit version didn't OOM (or was much more difficult to OOM) and everyone was able to salvage their existing 3rd party software investments ... would you still be disappointed?

It would make sense to give 3rd party PLENTY of ramp up time for a 64bit product so that when a 64bit product is released 3rd party will have products ready to release also ... so we do have planes to fly and places to go.  That IS going to take some time even if LM can make 64bit happen quickly ... 3rd party would need to get a 64bit SDK which means LM have to make that 64bit SDK ... and that would need to happen BEFORE release day IF people want planes to fly and places to go in a 64bit product.

Cheers, Rob.

Hmmm ... have to really stretch the imagination on that one ... I believe JV said "never" but I honestly don't care ... it changes nothing.

LM have their own internal resources making ships, boats, goats, scenery ... it's just what they make may not be for public consumption.

I'm not aware of any official release date for V4?  No "official" date for V3 either ... only thing I suggested was v3.0 will be <1 year away.

I assume everyone has got there v2.5 12946.0 hotfix 4?   http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/topic/prepar3d-v2-hotfix-2-5-12946-0-2/

If not, be aware the "usual" set of 3rd party products that have issues with version changes will need to provide updates of their products, those products that are NOT tied to versions will work just fine.

Cheers, Rob.

What if the v3.0 32bit version didn't OOM (or was much more difficult to OOM) and everyone was able to salvage their existing 3rd party software investments ... would you still be disappointed?

It would make sense to give 3rd party PLENTY of ramp up time for a 64bit product so that when a 64bit product is released 3rd party will have products ready to release also ... so we do have planes to fly and places to go.  That IS going to take some time even if LM can make 64bit happen quickly ... 3rd party would need to get a 64bit SDK which means LM have to make that 64bit SDK ... and that would need to happen BEFORE release day IF people want planes to fly and places to go in a 64bit product.

Cheers, Rob.

Is there a way to find out which programs are affected and if so when they are patched. rather than installing the Hotfix and running into problems?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Use what you have and when it's materially changed to be worth the time and hassle to reinstall everything, wait for 3PD's to release installers, etc, then upgrade.  V4 sounds perfect if it involves 64 bit & modern DirectX optimization, even if that means 2018 or beyond.  If the idea that P3D's intended main market is commercial and military, then we are clearly & only the paying beta testers for their ongoing development.   Fortunately for them there appear to be a few folks willing to help out. 

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Keep in mind also that the improvements are paid for with R&D dollars which are hardest to get in a large company like LM.