Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

People keep mentioning GTA V, that is exactly what a casual flight game looks like, it's fun, tons of missions, races, great environment.  You cannot carry this across into something the size of FSX or P3D, the technology just doesn't exist yet to replicate this across the entire planet.

Nobody would seriously need that resolution for the entire planet nor I do expect that DTG will deliver it at any time. I would be OK if they provided something similar, or even at a lower resolution, for a couple of base airports or areas to practice with the default aircraft. We could then implement the rest with third party addons, strictly at user's discretion.  Which is ultimately the same model we used for FSX/P3D.

I would be OK if they provided something similar, or even at a lower resolution, for a couple of base airports or areas to practice with the default aircraft

That would still be very unlikely, DCS is providing an approximate example in the simulation of the Nevada area and Las Vegas but they aren't simulating the entire world at the same time, just a section of the state of Nevada and even then we aren't looking at something as detailed as GTA V.

Don't forget, the aircraft in GTA V aren't simulated really, they don't have hydraulic systems, electrical systems, fuel systems, the weather doesn't affect them, they are just a basic flight model, no different to other video games.

I said it earlier, GTA V is a 60Gb install, that just will not scale up for a world or even state size environment.  It is practical for a fun flight game, which is what i assume DTG will provide to the market.  Detailed, but ultimately small areas, obviously DLC small areas, just like train sim with DLC planes that look like the real thing but are not meaningfully simulated.

Ian R Tyldesley

No, there is a fundamental difference between gamers and simmers.  Jessica is wrong, both groups cannot be happy with the same sim / game.  Take DCS for example, how many people think that DCS would do well on console?  More accurately what does DCS offer that HAWX or Air Combat doesn't offer?

Then we'll have to agree to disagree. If DFS is to succeed, then it has to appeal to both markets. Until flight came along, the combined approach of a scalable, all things to all people sim had been a success. flight was a hastily cobbled together sim that really pleased no one in particular. It's failure was down to a rushed to market sim with little or no plan to provide new content quickly enough for people to use.

The thing is, in the way describe things, you'd like a sim to be just that, built for the serious simmer, which would result ultimately in a commercial failure for that sim's designer. There just aren't enough of us 'hard core' simmers to supply the ecosystem to support that sim. Conversely, and 'game' style sim will meet with a core market that will finish the missions in 10 hours or less, then wander off for the next challenging game. Again, the ecosystem won't be there to support the game.

Like or not, simmers need the casual players as much as the casual players need them, and dovetail needs both to support itself and any future updates they provide.

As for the current sim market, well that tells you everything you need to know.

Serious simmers, well there's PMDG or if your cockpit building, prosim

Casual simmers can enjoy carenado's GA or even just flight's F-lite range of aircraft.

Milviz can cater to military aircraft like the F4.

The point I'm making is, flight simming isn't about us and them, it's a rich tapestry of users, all taking different things from the same core product, and to consider one side of the equation as superior to the other is nothing short of snobbery based on assumptions over words like simmer and gamer.

So why does everyone keep making those distinctions?

That would still be very unlikely, DCS is providing an approximate example in the simulation of the Nevada area and Las Vegas but they aren't simulating the entire world at the same time, just a section of the state of Nevada and even then we aren't looking at something as detailed as GTA V.

Point is: we are not expected to get a comparable level of ground detail from a flight simulator for one simple reason: because we don't need it. DFS will not be GTA 5 and will have very different priorities. This does not mean that a new flight simulator released in 2016 will be necessarily unable to provide a more immersive, realistic and compelling experience than we are currently getting from a software developed in 2006. And also an acceptable level of detail.

If Dovetail attempt to appease both groups, much as MS did with Flight, we'll end up again with the above situation.

They will target both audiences. They stated this clearly, in plain English, in the video linked by TheFlightSimGuy. And, in my opinion, this is a very smart decision. What we need is a flexible and scalable platform where everybody will choose if, how and when to expand, at his/her own discretion. Which was ultimately the main reason of the success of FSX.

Or, if you prefer, where everybody will choose what kind of user he/she's willing to be (gamer, casual simmer, hardcore simmer, whatever).

About a half-hour's Metro ride from me is the National Air and Space museum, which I believe qualifies as the most-visited museum in the world.  I haven't verified that... but it certainly does manage to pack them in.

It packs them in by offering everything from highly serious aircraft conservation and scholarship to paper-airplane contests and hands-on "how things fly" exhibits with lots of cranks and buttons for the kids to push and turn.

What it doesn't do is say, "unless you're an ultimately serious airplane person who knows every step of every procedure, you can't set foot in here."

The casual appeal and sense of fun doesn't seem to contradict or interfere with the scholarship.

Am wondering why a flight-related computer offering can't do the same.

I just like the way the lights twinkle at night.

Oh boy: for me it was Meigs Field in FS4 on a MAC back in 1993 and than in FS5 on a PC 1995!

Glad to be in 2015 now where VR headsets and absolute 3D immersion in photorealistic scenaries come into play.

Wasn't it FS5 on which box you could read "As real as it gets"? B) 

2016 here we come and DTG: keep the party going! :clapping: 

Beats me Jim. I'm sticking with users. :)

And just to think that you don't even know why you are doing it.

It packs them in by offering everything from highly serious aircraft conservation and scholarship to paper-airplane contests and hands-on "how things fly" exhibits with lots of cranks and buttons for the kids to push and turn.

I wonder if they ask at the door?

"Are you a simmer or a gamer?"

"Do you use a PC or a console?"

"Are you a professional user or a casual user?"

If Dovetail manages to reproduce or even further develop these two aspects - which I wouldn exclude right now - they will certainly have a winner. No premature praise, but their present vacations in the Flightsim area

Considering their description for the modeler/artist position's responsibilities, I'd say they are "serious..."

Create ultra-realistic visual style high-end quality assets based on of real world aircraft, exteriors and cockpits, as well as the dynamic components and set-up for animation.

- See more at: http://www.dovetailgames.com/vacancies/2015/jul/21/3d-vehicle-artist-vach011#sthash.qGwK8eNR.dpuf

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

See more at:

So you're working at DG now!  :)

Solution is rather simple to the FS market, if you want ultra realistic flight simulations, buy product, lots of product .. that will increase the level of "serious".  

Cheers, Rob.

Or you guys can just wait until I finish my Fight Simulator, it is going to be awesome. Right now I am in the research phase, I am on Chapter 2 of C++ for Dummies  :lol:

Matthew Kane

So you're working at DG now! :)

And are you working for Lockheed Martin now!

Considering their description for the modeler/artist position's responsibilities, I'd say they are "serious..."

- See more at: http://www.dovetailgames.com/vacancies/2015/jul/21/3d-vehicle-artist-vach011#sthash.qGwK8eNR.dpuf

Wouldn't it have been a little more sensible to take these people on earlier.....like last year when they first announced the sim?

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton