Sign in to follow this  
fogboundturtle

New dovetails Flight simulator due in 2016 on both Xbox One and Windows 10

Yes, we are simmers/gamers, not pilots in training or students in training or educators.

e05d07d384c0a8d6d2233057b3b09300_4bih.jp

4bff02e5bb9e3aa4899648a6b0a58dea_cgrx.jp

I guess DG better not use the word "simulation".  

This is getting beyond silly, I still can't believe people bring up this topic in reference to P3D almost 2 years later.

Cheers, Rob.

This is getting beyond silly,

Of course it's getting beyond silly, it's the internet stupid!

I don't mean the 'stupid' part. Just paraphrasing. :smile:

Seeing as how it's the internet it's just as well to explain jokes. :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

About a half-hour's Metro ride from me is the National Air and Space museum, which I believe qualifies as the most-visited museum in the world.  I haven't verified that... but it certainly does manage to pack them in.

It packs them in by offering everything from highly serious aircraft conservation and scholarship to paper-airplane contests and hands-on "how things fly" exhibits with lots of cranks and buttons for the kids to push and turn.

What it doesn't do is say, "unless you're an ultimately serious airplane person who knows every step of every procedure, you can't set foot in here."

The casual appeal and sense of fun doesn't seem to contradict or interfere with the scholarship.

Am wondering why a flight-related computer offering can't do the same.

Wonder if they too have visitors pushing for the exhibits to model "realistic damages and crashes" :P

What Videos of the Sim?  I know they have made some vaguely reassuring statements, forgive me for being a little jaded, but MS said the same things about Flight, which is ironic (i guess) because i imagine that is exactly what we are going to get.

I remain eager to see the sim DTG has in store, i'm just not optimistic.

To end the debate, it would suffice that DTG would respond to just 3 questions:

1) Will DTG Flight Sim model the whole world (and allow continous uninterrupted flight)?

2) Will DTG Flight Sim model NAVAIDS, ATC and AI?

3) Will DTG Flight Sim offer a public SDK?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

This is getting beyond silly, I still can't believe people bring up this topic in reference to P3D almost 2 years later.

And to think YOU were the one to ask the question. NO ONE said a word about P3D until YOU came along.

Yes, we all know the the definitions to all those big words you use, nice try!

And to think YOU were the one to ask the question. NO ONE said a word about P3D until YOU came along.

Not accurate, here is the jab that got a response:

We should at least take comfort that their target market is us, which is unlike P3D.

I don't really care how some of you want to dress it up (directly or indirectly) ... you know the policy, it's been around for almost 2 years.  If you don't like the policy then contact those that own this site and petition them to change it ... otherwise take it somewhere else and keep harping on at it for another 2 years or however long you like.

Cheers, Rob.

Why are my 2 favourite people bickering at each other :)

It all about really important stuff Elaine. You wouldn't understand.  :give_rose: 

Come to that, neither do I! :unknw:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Yes, we all know the the definitions to all those big words you use, nice try!

Here is another couple of "big words" for you Jim; ignoratio elenchi. Do you know that that is? :Just Kidding:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

This is really a secret bickering about you. Let me explain:

See, "DTG" is Jim and "P3D" is Rob... and they want you "The Simmer" to choose one. There can only be one favorite.

Love works in mysterious ways.....  :wub:

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Do you know that that is?

Yep, "no one cares".

Yep, "no one cares".

In what context, Jim? That no one cares about what it is, or something else altogether?

Ignoratio elenchi falls into the broad class of relevance fallacies, known popularly as an "irrelevant conclusion."

That is, claiming to refute another's position by asserting something altogether unrelated to the actual subject.

Speaking of irrelevance, since October of 1998 at least, this has also been spoken of as the "Chewbacca defense."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

One of the clearly stated license uses is "Simulation", it's right there on the license page for the professional license.

I can't see the word "simulation" on  the license page for the Prepar3d professional license. On the other hand I can read the words  "...and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment."

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/end-user-license-agreement-eula/

I'll give everyone 500-1 odds on DGFS 2016 being a superior general purpose all encompassing PC based Flight Simulation platform than whatever the version of Prepar3D is, at the time it its release!

Also DTG is not stupid. They are not going to try to compete with another company in a niche where they have already been beaten hands down before they ever got started! Whatever they are simulating it will be left in the ha'penny place by Lockheed Martins simulating.

IMO We the serious home flight enthusiasts are part of LM's target market. They are selling the software to us, aren't they. In fact I would say we are more a part of LM's target market than DTG's target market. 

DTG's target market are people who buy games on Steam and people with an Xbox or a playstation. I buy games on steam but I don't have a console. I will probably buy the DGFS on steam but I will also buy Prepar3D V3 and V4 when they are released. I hope my current favourite addons work in P3D V3 and I will likely start buying addons again when a 64 bit version of P3D is released. I doubt if I will ever buy any DLC for DGFS unless by some miracle it surpasses Prepar3D as the more complete FS in ways other than eyecandy.

Either way my addon budget is frozen until a 64 bit version of Prepar3D is available. So no one is getting my money for the time being.  :Tounge:

I can't see the word "simulation" on  the license page for the Prepar3d professional license. On the other hand I can read the words  "...and only for purposes other than personal/consumer entertainment."

http://www.prepar3d.com/support/end-user-license-agreement-eula/

It's right there on the license comparison page with a tick in the box:

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/prepar3d-license-comparison/

It's pretty clear.

Ian R Tyldesley

See, "DTG" is Jim and "P3D" is Rob... and they want you "The Simmer" to choose one. There can only be one favorite.

OMG it continues ... I have no vested interest, I don't work for LM and I'm not a commercial member.  I've bought DG's products, LM's products, LR's products, DCS products, etc. etc. 

Personally I don't think it's appropriate for commercial members to steer end users in a platform direction ... let platform content provide the answers to users and go from there ... back seat lawyers and attempts to tell others what market they fall into is just silly.

This continued dissection of P3D EULA even 2 years after the fact is either a sign of fear or complete lack of understanding the commercialization of software.

And yes having these debates 2 years later on the same topic ... does NOT make sense!  I know Peter Mayhew would agree ...

Cheers, Rob.