Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Still using P3DV2.5

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Shoot, I'm still using v2.4 and it works great for me! Will change someday but in no hurry!

Nothing wrong with staying with 2.5. Do be aware that if you have a very good graphic card V3 will give you at least 33% in FPS improvement.  I used to hate ORBX because of the low performance (looks really good but performance is really questionable) until I use them with V3.  Mind you V3 will be the version I am staying with for at least 3 years.  I am done spending 200 every two years.  In fact if I had a crystal ball I would never have forked out 200 for v2.5 two years ago.

I had P3DV2.5 working good but since I went to V3.1 I do find it smoother. Only thing is that you have to re-download and reinstall all add on extra's.

Shoot, I'm still using v2.4 and it works great for me! Will change someday but in no hurry!

Same here...still on v2.4 no problems.

Me too - But I'm using FS9, FSX, FSX:SE, and P3Dv3.1 too! 

if I had a crystal ball I would never have

Isn't that just one of life great lessons. Often also articulated as "hind site is 20/20".

Me too and it applies to far more than Flight Sim, but I am only human :smile:

Many of us took the plunge to V3 because of the 5-600MB VAS improvement and since the new version of the PMDG 777 just saved another 250mb thats a massive improvement of at least 800MB VAS.

OOM was "the one"  user sim killer, and at least for now it has almost come to rest on my system. 

I also find it smoother than V2.5. Performance interms of FPS is less than 5% increase on my system. 

Michael Moe

I did all the updates to V2 up to V2.4. When 2.5 came out and required a full reinstallation I judged that the changes listed were not worth the effort and would wait for V3.

When V3 came out I was surprised how little had been changed considering it was a completely new version and would not have made the change even if it was free let alone pay over again.

V3.1 seems to be fixing issues in V3 rather than improvements.

Guess I will have to see what V4 brings along. :smile:

I never had any OOMs problem, so I waited a couple of months to get V3. I found it a bit smoother, and very little FPS gain, if any from 2.5. I do like that one can upgrade now, with V 3.1 without having to reinstall the entire program, just by updating the client. I think the smoothness is the biggest advantage to Version 3. 

Is there a discount for existing v2.5 customer to upgrade to v3?

Is there a discount for existing v2.5 customer to upgrade to v3?

I don't think there is Rick, check LM web site and if there is a discount it will state so. 

I never had any OOMs problem, so I waited a couple of months to get V3. I found it a bit smoother, and very little FPS gain, if any from 2.5. I do like that one can upgrade now, with V 3.1 without having to reinstall the entire program, just by updating the client. I think the smoothness is the biggest advantage to Version 3. 

+1 Bob, I upgraded to 3.1 and so far I do find it a bit more smoother than 2.5 but not much gain in FPS. I am in the process of installing all my Orbx scenery as 3.1 installers come available.

I'll bide my time till the exchange rate improves in my favour before making the switch.

I'll bide my time till the exchange rate improves in my favour before making the switch.

I think it will be a pretty long while before the GBP/USD rate improves in favour of the GBP. The US economy is improving and the Fed has started raising interest rates, and the dollar has gotten stronger. Nothing happening here in the UK seems likely to improve the exchange rate in our favour in the near or medium term. This is what I get from following several investment sites (but of course nobody really knows how to predict these things). Anyway I have upgraded to V3 in spite of the exchange rate and I think it is worth it - VAS management improved fps.

I think it will be a pretty long while before the GBP/USD rate improves in favour of the GBP. The US economy is improving and the Fed has started raising interest rates, and the dollar has gotten stronger. Nothing happening here in the UK seems likely to improve the exchange rate in our favour in the near or medium term. This is what I get from following several investment sites (but of course nobody really knows how to predict these things). Anyway I have upgraded to V3 in spite of the exchange rate and I think it is worth it - VAS management improved fps.

A very good, and salient point, indeed. Just been listening to BBC R4's evening news exchange rate update, and at $1.43(more like $1.38 at PayPal), I guess you're on the money(sorry about the pun!)

That's good to read. I did buy it, and have it loaded as a zip upon my archive drive. I'm still on v2.4, only because I wish to see most of my ORBX content, ready to make the one-time switch.  So when that occurs...I shall migrate to v3.(x). :)

Still using 2.5. I was a heavy ORBX user, which caused some framerate annoyances (avg 20fps), but not a deal breaker in the least. But I have recently switched to photoreal scenery (mostly socal and desert areas) and average around 60fps with REX/ASN/A2A. Very very happy, and I feel like I am actually learning about my surroundings. 

That said, I plan on moving to 3.1 very very soon. I want the dynamic reflections, improved water and VAS.

I switched to v3 from 2.5 very early on. I have noticed a smoother experience and much better VAS management. Plus, I am looking forward to see what v3.2, 3.3, 3.4, and beyond bring. Hopefully some useful features and improved performance.