Sign in to follow this  
Turbine777

Hey hey folks

Well hello folks!

Long time no type. I have been on quite a long layover let's just say. So much has changed and I see most certainly for the better! Very exciting products and love what I'm seeing. I recently built a fellow simmer a rig and got him P3d to go with his new toy for a Christmas gift. In my research it lead me to investigating what else had changed. Glad I did and continue to do so. P3d was just starting to be talked about (but barely) when I exited the runway. I feel like such a noob now, haha, but it too is exciting. I used to enjoy giving help to those with questions and now it's me with a few billion of my own. The fog is lifting from the field and I'm almost cleared for visual approach (much more reading ahead). I'll save my questions and continue to happily see how much more great things I can find.

Hope everyone is having a great new year!!!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Long time since I've seen you here Dan and almost didn't recognize you without the slice of turkey, lol. Where did you dissappear to?

Sean Campbell

Thank you gentlemen. Sean, A lot just changed in a short amount of time. I was laid off and moved around a bit to chase work. Once I got back on my feet I just put my time back into music (piano). Still more focused on that but I will soon start to slowly get back into my simming passion. I've watched my facebook friends, Doogie and Alex post their screenshots and videos over the years and allow them to tease/tempt me, but having more time lately to spread into more than one hobby is the main thing I've lacked til now. Hope you're all doing well!

Hi Dan

Is it really you or a ghost from the past? Oddly enough, only a few weeks ago I was thinking we have not seen you for..................................................zions, with that unique avatar you used to sport.

Welcome Back. Yes, a lot of water has passed under that Avsim bridge.

Buenos Anos Novo to you too.

Hi Dan.

I know you do not know me... but I wanted to give you a huge thanks!

I tried (unsuccessfully) to learn from your Photoshop course. I don't know how many nameless faces learned from your tutorials, but I want to be one person who says "Thank you".

Welcome back!

Well,

I'll be damned. Dan is back! :)

Thought you were gone for good. Forum wasn't quite the same after you left. Glad to see you again. 

Happy Landings!

Hey Dan!!

I swear that it wasn't just 2 hours ago I thought about you and here you are.  What a coincidence huh?

Welcome back buddy, good to see you again, are you still down south?

Rob

A lot just changed in a short amount of time.

I know what that means. I've had two major hiatus' in my simming career but now I am single and retired so the path forward looks smooth [knocking on wood].

I like your MD-11 signature logo.

Wow, thanks for the welcome gents. So nice to be amongst friends again.

Cory, sorry the tutorials didn't yet work for you. Sad I had to stop that just as I was getting to the bump mapping I think. Hopefully down the road I can finish it and help clear up what you're having a hard time with. Thanks for the thanks. Much appreciated.

Hey Dan! Thanks, I love the MD11 and that one I bought long ago (a huge vector graphic). You made me laugh with saying "but now I'm single" right after saying you had the two hiatus, haha. Women have kept me from my hobbies all too often. My last ex is ex'd because of such a thing. You still doing your freeware files?

Great to see your names again, makes me realize how long it's been. Thanks and a big hello Rick, Rob, Alexander!

It's funny but when I first signed back in, I instantly saw the turkey face and laughed. I decided to change it because there were so many people upset with it haha. Back then I kept it for that reason and of course it was technically the only aviation pic I had, but figured I'd finally change it to keep the peace ;)

You still doing your freeware files?

Nah, but if you ever want a custom sidstar file let me know. However, I've created a pretty nifty logbook editor that works in FSX/P3D and converts between them.  Look for LogEditv2 in the AVSIM forum.

pretty nifty logbook editor

And I can vouch for it as being by far the best. Nice one, Dan.

Nice! Just downloaded it.

My first sim addon/program to touch my comp in years. I don't have either P3d or FSX installed yet but have spent a few hours getting ready for P3d in downloading new installers for upgraded airports and cities. I'll be buying P3d this weekend. I ran the stand alone exe and was able to at least see it and play with it for now. Very nice.

Thanks Dan!

And hi back, Lamar!

btw, nice new rig you have there in your sig. Still doing the triple monitor thing? I'd say you are ready for 64 bit!

Hey Alex,

No on the trip screens as of now. I've been waiting for the longest time to upgrade my last standing monitor from my last triple setup. I just upgraded last week but bought due to need rather than one of the two monitors I was holding out for (PG27AQ or PG348Q). My rig is primarily for video editing heaven (thus the titan z and multiple ssd's). I got tired of waiting for the monitor of choice and really didn't want to be one of the first to get either, so settled for a DELL S2716DG 27” ( 2560 x 1440 @ 144Hz). Cheapest good monitor I could find with G-sync. For a TN panel it's incredible with great viewing angles unlike the nightmare of them I read about. 3 monitors down the road for sure but before I invest in 3, 4k monitors I want to see video cards and monitors with Displayport 1.3 or higher :)

I screwed up hard on buying the 128gb of ram. The best processor out one would think it supported the same amount of ram one of the absolute best motherboards on the market did. Especially since it's constantly being paired with the 5960x. Anywho, apparently after I couldn't get the motherboard to keep my xmp set for the ram I learned the processor only could address 64gb. Haha, what an expensive mistake! 64gb would have saved me major on what I spent on the 128gb kit <sigh>.

Thanks, Sander.

Nice to see you still around! Hope all is going great with you!

Well folks, it was a long night into the wee hours of the morning, but I made my first purchases of sim stuff and am looking at a long day of continued installs.

To start with, I got;

P3d Pro

FTX Global

FTX Vector

Rex Texture Direct / Soft Clouds bundle

Active Sky Next

... and last but not least the PMDG 777 and expansion.

I've read more in the last week than I thought possible and got some great advice from sim friends on facebook. Lots still on my must have list but please feel free to give any of your opinions. So far so great. Everything looks smooth as silk and newly upgraded comp is handling it all well.

My_beast.jpg

Try out the Flightbeam airports such as the latest, KSFOHD San Francisco. Their work is a step above everyone elses in my opinion and SFO blends in very well with the FTX NA NCA region (Orbx forum has compatibility instructions).

As much as I love the B77X, I've found myself spending most of my time in the B738... it's not so automated and it has enough 'long' flights to keep me building hours. Just finished a round robin PANC-PHNL-KSEA-PHNL-PANC set of sessions following actual Alaska routes. Challenging and entertaining....I notice you didn't list PFPX... almost a must for long trip planning.

Thanks, Dan.

I love Flightbeam and the last few weeks I have downloaded everything that had P3d updates product that I already owned. Flightbeam's KSFO I have and love but KSFOHD is surely on my list for next shopping spree! I have just got new installers for all my FlyTampa airports that I also love and downloaded all new installers for FSDT (and many more).

Thanks for the tip on PFPX. I'll look into it. One thing I always loved about simming was the planning and route creation. In some ways I enjoyed it more actually. I love flying Alaska routes. Very challenging indeed. I did lots of flights there with the J41 all the time. I hope to see the J41 reborn for P3d. That became one of my surprised favorites of all times. Sadly I bought the NGX right before leaving simming and other than using it to do the paint tutorials, never even touched it. It was a hard choice last between which to buy but will get it next for sure.

Thanks again.

Well hello folks!

Long time no type. I have been on quite a long layover let's just say. So much has changed and I see most certainly for the better! Very exciting products and love what I'm seeing. I recently built a fellow simmer a rig and got him P3d to go with his new toy for a Christmas gift. In my research it lead me to investigating what else had changed. Glad I did and continue to do so. P3d was just starting to be talked about (but barely) when I exited the runway. I feel like such a noob now, haha, but it too is exciting. I used to enjoy giving help to those with questions and now it's me with a few billion of my own. The fog is lifting from the field and I'm almost cleared for visual approach (much more reading ahead). I'll save my questions and continue to happily see how much more great things I can find.

Hope everyone is having a great new year!!!

Welcome back Dan, It's been a long time.

Thank you gentlemen! Nice to see you both! Really great to see so many great people still around ;)

@ Dan Downs - I bought Flightbeam's KDEN HD. All I can say is wow! Still a way to go but spent a grand already on my return haha. Sad part it that I haven't even looked at controllers yet. I had a good flight yesterday from KDEN to KTPA with the 777. Good meaning I landed her with barely damaging the aircraft ;)