Sign in to follow this  
Arwen

AviatorCast Podcast on DTG Flight School

I just found this:

"On this episode, we get together with Stephen Hood, Creative Director at Dovetail Games. He walks us through the creative and thought process that went into building a compelling simulator to achieve such a task as this. Through this interview you’ll find that much care was taken with this community, with much thought and care being put into this new, experiential flight simulator."

AviatorCast Episode 83: Flight School from Dovetail Games w/ Stephen Hood

Interview begins about 7m30s in.

Enjoy.

Edited by tonywob
Fixed link
  • Upvote 2

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Getting an 404 error.  File not found.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Aviator cast has really improved over the last year or so with many excellent interviews with some really great people involved in real world flying and instruction as well as simulation.

Definitely worth checking out the back catalog.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Sorry about not getting the address inserted corrected (I missed that the message insert link added the link// to the beginning of the address), and now I'm unable to edit my post. :)

Anyhoo, my intent was just to share the interview, as I was quite impressed with it, because it made me feel more excited about the Flight School.

• Upvote 1

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

My favorite part is when he says "If the uninitiated jump into a flight sim, they can sometimes treat it like a toy. And I don't want that! I'm not looking to attract video gamers or arcade players. I'm not taking a slice out of the Call of Duty market and trying to get them into flight sim. I think there is a wealth of people out there who are looking to get into or back into flight simulation if there was a product out there that revitalized their interest" That should answer the questions of all those folks saying this will be some dumbed down arcade game. 

Interesting they are working with some former members of the ACES team. Those guys seemed to hold the key for what could have been a great future for MSFS so glad to see they are working with DTG now. 

• Upvote 3

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Sorry about not getting the address inserted corrected (I missed that the message insert link added the link// to the beginning of the address), and now I'm unable to edit my post. :)

No worries, I fixed the link for you in the original post. Thanks for sharing

• Upvote 2

Interesting that there is talk about how diverse the world's flight schools are and the attempt to mimic this, yet a Piper Super Cub is said to be 1 of 2 planes available. There are no Super Cubs available for training at any flight school in the NYC area and most other major metropolitan cities in the world. I would be correct that one is more likely to fly in a C172 or one of 20 other aircraft than a Super Cub. If DTG wants DT Flight School to be taken as authentic, the Super Cub choice should be reconsidered (probably too late). In my view only students of bush flying may be presented a Super Cub limiting (not diverse) Flight School to a very small segment of aviation. If there were 10 planes then there would be no problem, but with a choice of only 2, a Super Cub is a very limited first choice according to reality.

• Upvote 2

Pracines, I was thinking the same thing. The super cub is a fun option, but a tricycle gear c172 or similar would be my choice for a beginner.

Chris

Maybe the Super Cub is in there to cater for taildragger lessons that you can follow after aquiring your virtual license in the tricycle gear Piper.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

A taildragger like the Cub is also very light and if the flight model is good, can go a long way to teaching that you are really "flying" an aircraft until it is parked. And, obviously, when you rotate a taildragger, gyroscopic effects come into play. Not that the Cub does it too much, but shadowing the tail surfaces and the subsequent reduction in control when in 3-point position and dealing with that is another important thing taildraggers can teach. All in all, something like a Cub can illustrate a lot of really important concepts in both flight and ground handling. Trikes are great trainers but they can hide a lot of the art of flying. And besides, there are two aircraft in Flight School. Do we know what the other plane is? Maybe it is a 172 or similar?

And besides, there are two aircraft in Flight School. Do we know what the other plane is? Maybe it is a 172 or similar?

I believe it is another Piper, a tricycle gear.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Well, so much for that theory, then. ;-) Maybe some licensing thing if they are both Pipers? But surely they can add aircraft after release if they choose.

I found the podcast quite interesting however I strongly suspect that a lot of the really interesting stuff falls under aspiration and long term vision. On the 'Ask DTG' thread Martin has been going to great lengths to emphasise that the initial releases of Flight School & Simulator are start points rather than the complete vision that DTG have in mind.

To that end Martin's pitch seems to be along the lines of 'stick to your existing flight sim if we don't meet your immediate requirements, don't write us off straight away and keep us in mind for the future once further updates/upgrades have taken place'. Personally I think this is a wise line for DTG to take but I fear that initial deficiencies will prompt some avsim members to attempt a similar hatchet job to that which MS Flight ended up receiving.

• Upvote 4

Give people power to really test their personality.