Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Discussion Thread for the "Ask Dovetail Games..." Thread!

I don't like TrackIR as it's difficult to use with my varifocal specs. I have no difficulty in the circuit (pattern). I think you're making too many assumptions about other people's experiences. Quite possibly many new gamers will have never heard of TrackIR - and the cost of it far outweighs the benefits if you're just starting out. I've managed 16 years without it.

• Upvote 1

Rob Jones.

will the weather engine get a overhaul?

Not for DTG Flight School. We are looking at it for Flight Sim however.

FSX old weather engine is not bad at this junction but it better has one. We can live with ""imposters" a little bit longer I suppose. We'll find out soon enough.

I don't like TrackIR as it's difficult to use with my varifocal specs.

Why would varifocal specs have any effect on TrackIR, ? I use it all the time with my varifocals without issues.

And again I will say that many gamers already use TrackIR with their games and not just flightsimulators. there are thousands of TrackIR users out there.

This will be the only flightsim on the market without TrackIr support, including support for it does not in anyway stop new flightsim users from enjoying the product but will cause the many TrackIR owners to rethink buying the game.

But as Martin quite rightly points DTG flightschool it is not aimed at existing simmers (yet he still found his way here)

TrackIR is not just limited to flight simulations, a lot of gamers who are into other simulations, racing sims etc also own and use TrackIR.

Are these not the type of players you are trying to attract ?

Crazy decision to not support something that makes pattern flying much better, especially in a product that supposedly teaches flying

If a controller works with FSX: SE it should work in DTG Flight School.

TrackIR for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition = OK

https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/

• Upvote 1

FYI, it looks like DTG's train simulator supports TrackIR. So it's not like they don't know what it is, or how to support it.

Then again, I guess there isn't a "lite" version of train sim...

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

TrackIR for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition = OK
https://www.naturalp.../trackir/games/

TrackIr software will need a game update in order to work with a game unless the game announces itself to the TrackIR software as FSX-SE

If it does not then the TrackIR software will need a game update,  The developer has stated that here that there will be no support so where will Naturalpoint get the necessary info from to support the product?

The same situation existed with MSFlight until MS were persuaded and finally added support, only then were  Naturalpoint  able to offer the necessary game update.

At least I know now that the product is not for me,  hopefully the full sim will support more hardware.

Wayhey, specific rendering engine question answered by Martin...

Dovetail Games Flight School and Dovetail Games Flight Simulator do share the same underlying technology

So there we go.

He didn't elaborate though so no idea on whether Flight School will receive incremental rendering updates until the Flight Sim release.

FYI, it looks like DTG's train simulator supports TrackIR. So it's not like they don't know what it is, or how to support it.

Then again, I guess there isn't a "lite" version of train sim...

It does indeed.  Its not that DTG haven't heard of TrackIR.

It may be that it isn't the highest in their priorities for Flight School.  As others have pointed out there are a bunch of other possible flaws in FSX, basically anything that has add-ons to fix it (ATC, weather, scenery, clouds, Accu-Feel, etc.) or anything that add-on makers have felt the need to rewrite (such as A2A's attention to the flight model).

I applaud DTG for moving to 64 bit immediately to get that out of the way.

That in itself may have required a certain amount of rework.

Then they've got the missions, new aircraft and any other changes that they're making.

Optimistically maybe they'll add TrackIR later if we don't get it immediately.  They aren't doing DLC for Flight School but that's not to say they won't be patching the game/sim at all.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

They aren't doing DLC for Flight School but that's not to say they won't be patching the game/sim at all.

In a way flight school will be a good opportunity for them to do a test of the core technology for the full flight sim coming later, even if they will do more work on the engine since then - e.g. regarding shadows. They can see in flight school how the core engine performs on a range of systems of a large user base without the possible interference of plugins or DLC.

However, looking at the system requirements at the start of this thread, they are quite modest in comparison to what a lot of us use for flight simulation I should think.

Arguably its in Dovetail's interests to do that, encouraging new simmers to come in with little more than a basic PC with dedicated graphics card, an xbox controller and an internet connection.

Hopefully it will be able to run smoothly on their minimum spec but can also be ramped up to make use of better hardware.

And hopefully DFS will be designed to be run on a good PC.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

Well apparently DTG will be at RGX Rezzed 2016 in London according to their facebook page. I wonder if they'll still be showing the same demo?

Give people power to really test their personality.

Yep, another one for TrackIR here.

I understand I'm not the target market for Flight School but I'm planning to get my daughter to do the tutorials in it and TrackIR could really help her sense of enjoyment.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Guys, I think we may be thinking ahead for trackir. Just because it isn't officially supported doesn't mean it won't work. FSX also doesn't officially support trackir, in fact most titles that Trackir works with don't natively support it. But it works anyway. So just because DTG doesn't support it from a 1st party standpoint, doesn't mean it won't work in the sim. Just wait and see.

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Just because DTG doesn't officially support it, doesn't mean trackir wont work. FSX also didn't officially support it. But natural point made it work. Just wait and see.

• Upvote 2

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

The problem is, if it doesn't "officially supported", there might be limited (or too much) function with it.

compare the TrackIR useage in FS9 with TrakcIR interface(NOT the FSUIPC way) and TrackIR useage in FSX with SimConnect, I would say the FS9 one is much better(able to adjust seat and not working with 2D\Spot view)

That's what I would request DTG to improve, if they officially support TrackIR, if they don't, who knows how would it works...