Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

New preview shots

All the people who've released videos and screenshots are using Preview Alpha Build. Give them time, it's not even in Beta yet.

There is no time. Release will be 24 May. Shouldn't it be in late beta now? ORBX have a beta time span of around 2 weeks for a single airport - for an experienced programmer like Jarrad. I cannot imagine any major upgrades from the videos/pix to the real thing, except bug fixes. Anything more is wishful thinking. Essentially this is the thing we will get.

Even time for the full Flight Simulator might be tough. Let them add a bunch of planes including jet handling (I hope so), improved weather, ATC. 3rd party support, SDK, a hand full of detailed areas, and test all this, I doubt there is time for any major modifications of the rendering engine, except perhaps shader tweaking and the like. Moreover, I think it was just the idea to have the rendering engine plus UI more or less ready in Flight School as a test bed and concentrate on contents afterwards.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 2

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

There is no time. Release will be 24 May. Shouldn't it be in late beta now? ORBX have a beta time span of around 2 weeks for a single airport - for an experienced programmer like Jarrad. I cannot imagine any major upgrades from the videos/pix to the real thing, except bug fixes. Anything more is wishful thinking. Essentially this is the thing we will get.

Even time for the full Flight Simulator might be tough. Let them add a bunch of planes including jet handling (I hope so), improved weather, ATC. 3rd party support, SDK, a hand full of detailed areas, and test all this, I doubt there is time for any major modifications of the rendering engine, except perhaps shader tweaking and the like. Moreover, I think it was just the idea to have the rendering engine plus UI more or less ready in Flight School as a test bed and concentrate on contents afterwards.

Kind regards, Michael

1+

Rich Sennett

Kind regards, Michael

The build that was sent out to reviewers was from mid April according to facebook posts. So it is nearly a month and a half before release. Also, the SDK will not be a problem because if you look at the folder structure that was shared in those screen shots, it is largely the same as FSX/P3D so I doubt much rework will need to be done on the SDK beyond implementation of the new rendering tech. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

There will be no "SDK" for DTG Flight School. The promised "SDK" won't come until the full FS release later this year.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, we are talking about the full FS indeed, just look up my contribution.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

What a rough bunch of negative posts.  This is flight school which needs to be simplified and not extravagant as most would know it with weather, AI, ATC, etc. The target market, those new to flight simming or just want to fly dont want to be bothered with that stuff right now.

I think its pretty good deal to have orbx FTX global as default. FSX or P3D or XPX neither had it to that extent. And we have 64 bit. This generation using these sims will ask what are OOMs?

It is taking advantage of modern hardware equipment. Weve been griping about this for years in all current sims.

I cant remember any one current sim that we use that was outstanding or even great on first release. FSX? P3D? XPX? But they were all gradually received and built up. To expect the same parameters from DTG on first release be it the flight school or the full sim, is unrealisitc IMO. It will take at least a few years to tweak, redo, enhance everything that we now currently use and have been accustomed to.

The clouds dont look so good at all. So what. This is alpha. or beta. You know darn well this will be enhanced at some point whether from DTG themselves or from REX or whatever 3PD. Same with weather and AI, ATC. Otherwise this is all for nought. The engine that keeps this hobby going are the enhancements from the community and 3PDs themselves. But to judge flight school so harshly doesnt make sense. Be happy we have something revamped and will continue to be worked on in coming years. Build the strong foundation and the rest will take shape in due time.

What was everyone expecting anyway? As soon as the full flight sim gets released we will all abandon our current sims and jump over? LOL We will use it , but the addons and enhancements will take time. Kudos to DTG for putting up with all the negativity and keep pluggin along. In a few years it could very well be the main sim. Who really knows how it all plays out.

• Upvote 7

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

If you want my opinion the long in the tooth fight simmer is never switching from P3D or XPX for this. Sure they will get the gamer market, i.e. the newbies, the great unwashed on steam but they the discerning flight simmer is never giving up what they already have for this. I really looks like the gain for 64 bit and braking backwards compatibility is zero. It looks to me that braking backwards compatibility was done for the sake of braking backwards compatibility if you know what I mean ;-)

If you want my opinion the long in the tooth fight simmer is never switching from P3D or XPX for this. Sure they will get the gamer market, i.e. the newbies, the great unwashed on steam but they the discerning flight simmer is never giving up what they already have for this.

Well - that describes exactly what was intended by DTG. They have made it very clear that those already using a flight sim are not the main target market for Flight School. It is the much bigger market of gamers - some of them maybe already familiar with other simulation games - who might see it on steam and think, well, they might give it a try for 15 quid.

• Upvote 1

Bill, we are talking about the full FS indeed, just look up my contribution.

Kind regards, Michael

And my reply was directed to "Flightsimguy..." :smile:

Fr. Bill    

If you want my opinion the long in the tooth fight simmer is never switching from P3D or XPX for this. Sure they will get the gamer market, i.e. the newbies, the great unwashed on steam but they the discerning flight simmer is never giving up what they already have for this. I really looks like the gain for 64 bit and braking backwards compatibility is zero. It looks to me that braking backwards compatibility was done for the sake of braking backwards compatibility if you know what I mean ;-)

There not suppose too, the target audience for this is newbies, to introduce them to flight simming. DTG Flight Simulator released later this year is the product this community will be much more interested in.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I really looks like the gain for 64 bit and braking backwards compatibility is zero. It looks to me that braking backwards compatibility was done for the sake of braking backwards compatibility if you know what I mean ;-)

Odd, I use brakes to stop my car and aircraft, but I break things when I hit them with a hammer...

As for opinions, none are worth any more than mine which oddly enough is congruent with yours for a change. Will miracles never cease? :lol:

Fr. Bill    

Well, I guess I should have specified that my above comment was directed at the DTG flight sim coming at the end of the year based on the assumption that it won't be a huge leap from flight school. BTW Fr. Bill attacking another persons argument based on there spelling mistakes is even worse than Argument Ad Hominem. :dance:

If you want my opinion

Erm...

the long in the tooth fight simmer is never switching from P3D or XPX for this

If the case to do so is compelling enough they will. DTG is a very different operation from LR and LM; different resources, different goals, different business networks, different community relations etc. etc. Saying you can guess with reasonable accuracy what the full sim will look like in a year or so's time, what the addon environment (paid and free) will evolve into subsequently, and what the market's reaction will be suggests supreme...erm...self-confidence...?

attacking another persons argument

*person's*

based on there spelling mistakes

*their*

Sorry, just lightening the mood with some childish banter:):)

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Agree,
Aircraft looks good, but overall it`s just a customized FSX.
Look at these awful coastlines. In terms of graphics and optics still MSFlight was/is the most advanced.

Dovetail is improving, but they have a looong way to go.
I hope in the end we get more than an optimized FSX.
If they want to attract new customers they need to improve graphics a lot!
If they want to take over FSX/P3D customers they need to improve the rest under the hood a lot!.

Very well said!  :Applause:   :Applause:   :Applause:

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.