Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

New preview shots

If you want my opinion the long in the tooth fight simmer is never switching from P3D or XPX for this. Sure they will get the gamer market, i.e. the newbies, the great unwashed on steam but they the discerning flight simmer is never giving up what they already have for this. I really looks like the gain for 64 bit and braking backwards compatibility is zero. It looks to me that braking backwards compatibility was done for the sake of braking backwards compatibility if you know what I mean ;-)

Sorry, but you and others here seem to operate with a binary logic. Basically you are reducing the field of options to a either...OR matter.  If DTG Flight Simulator will be considered acceptably good by the market, then people will necessarily switch from P3D or X-Plane to it. If not, they will not switch.

Have you considered the possibility that many of us will be simply using more than one single flight simulator? There is no intrinsic necessity for switching from A to B or from B to A. This may or may not happen based on a number of factors. Probably most of us will simply try and enjoy DTG Flight Simulator while keeping on using our current simulator(s).

DTG is simply trying to make a step forward. In my opinion, this is good for the community. P3D will probably react offering a new advanced platform in a near future, with X-Plane, Aerofly and NextGen Flight Sim being other very interesting options. There is no obligation to switch. Thanks God we can choose and we can choose more than one at the same time.

• Upvote 6

I see that comment was a little too close to the bone for the bury the head in the sand crowd :-P

a little to close to the bone

*too close*

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

What are you talking about. ;-P

There is no obligation to switch.

There is an obligation to switch. I doubt anyone informed here would disagree that flight Sim is not a hobby where you pick your sim of choice and stick with it. Sure you can switch to a new sim and keep your old sim, but you are spending money on one in particular, not both, unless you are independently wealthy. Perhaps you can maintain two but again you do that at the expense of sacrificing improvement of one over the other or vice versa. Again, unless you are independently wealthy. I doubt if anyone is running P3D, XPX, and FSX with all the latest Addons. Anyone running FSX and maintaining it with all the latest addons might consider switching to DTG Flight Sim when its released and close the account on FSX but keep it and invest in DTG DLC, But I think after a few months or a year they might think it was a mistake with hindsight. Personally, from what I have seen so far I think that DTG FS is going to be a bigger disappointment than MSflight. So shot me! :-P

Personally, from what I have seen so far I think that DTG FS is going to be a bigger disappointment than MSflight.

How could you possibly know that? MS Flight didnt even have any 3PD addons other than MS select few. Addons are what will make or break a simulator.  Where would FSX be today if it was closed? There would be no PMDG, no Aerosoft, FTX/ORBX , FT etc etc. Same goes for XPX. The foundation can be quite good but without addon enhancements, the way the community embraces it will be limited.  IXEG 737 Classic just came out and ive seen more posts about trying XPX because of it.

DTGFS apparently has a number of 3PDs working on addons for it and are quite excited about it because of the effecient tools being made available, not to mention further limitations removed from the ol FSX. This signifies change and so far the change is forward with it being modernized in the likes of 64bit and hardware recognition just to name a few. No doubt there will be other enhancements will probably havnt seen yet and is not required for the introductory beginner to flight simulation.  DTG did ask communities what they want to see. Lets see what they show from it. But you cant base it on Flight School.

• Upvote 3

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

And my reply was directed to "Flightsimguy..." :smile:

I was replying to the previous comment about the SDK in the full simulator, specifically to this quote "Even time for the full Flight Simulator might be tough". We have had it said time and time again by Martin that there is no addons in the Flight School and I was aware of that. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Avidean: Flight School is standalone, with some basic improvements over fsx and no chance to add others. So its cost is 15 quid. I'm planning on continuing to buy xplane add-ons, although probably not fsx or p3d ones.

As for 64 bit (for Flight School and DFS), I'm glad they've made the move now to get it out of the way. Making something 64 bit isn't going to instantly make it have better graphics for example though.

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

There is an obligation to switch. I doubt anyone informed here would disagree that flight Sim is not a hobby where you pick your sim of choice and stick with it. Sure you can switch to a new sim and keep your old sim, but you are spending money on one in particular, not both, unless you are independently wealthy. Perhaps you can maintain two but again you do that at the expense of sacrificing improvement of one over the other or vice versa. Again, unless you are independently wealthy. I doubt if anyone is running P3D, XPX, and FSX with all the latest Addons. Anyone running FSX and maintaining it with all the latest addons might consider switching to DTG Flight Sim when its released and close the account on FSX but keep it and invest in DTG DLC, But I think after a few months or a year they might think it was a mistake with hindsight. Personally, from what I have seen so far I think that DTG FS is going to be a bigger disappointment than MSflight. So shot me! :-P

As usual, you're trying to apply your personal bias and your personal binary logic to the rest of the world. 

Fact is, most of hard simmers I know, both here and in other fora, use more than one platform and invest a lot of money and time in all of them, obviously with different priorities according to their personal choice, the current version of each simulator, the current addon offer and compatibility and a lot of other factors. Very few of them choose exclusively. There is no reason to believe that this is not going to happen in the future. Therefore, if switching appears as a kind of obligation to you, this does not mean it applies or will apply to other people as well.

Now, whether DTG Flight Simulator will attract newbies or not, only time will tell. There are too many factors to take account of and none of them can be actually measured or predicted now. Unless predictions are only made to match one's wishful thinking.

• Upvote 1

Avidean: Flight School is standalone, with some basic improvements over fsx and no chance to add others. So its cost is 15 quid. I'm planning on continuing to buy xplane add-ons, although probably not fsx or p3d ones.

Oops, reading that again it sounded like I was saying Flight School is a rubbish idea.

I wasn't, I've pre-ordered it and I'm looking forward to it.

What I was saying was that there's no need for me to spend any more than 15 quid on Dovetail's 64 bit flight simulators over the next 6 months or so, and I can continue buying add-ons for existing simulators if I want.

Eventually DFS should be announced and we can all see how things look and what add-on developers they've convinced to start making add-ons for it.

• Upvote 1

Tony Holmes

xplane 12, MSFS, Windows 10, Ryzen 5600x, 32gb, RX 6800XT.

Well, I like flight school, it is what they promissed since the beginning... a flight school simulator, with some improvements.

My real disappointment will be if the Full simulator has no major improvements compared to what we have today. 

Two new videos:

• Upvote 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

the great unwashed on steam

OK... I'll take a bath... it IS Saturday night after all...

(and then he comes back complaining about 'ad hominem attacks...)

Hmmm.... I'm not sharing the presenter's enthusiasm for the look of that night flight video above (but I'm spoiled by X-Plane, I admit). Why are all the light sources, including PAPI, runway, and street lights so big? Doesn't look right to me. Maybe they're made artificially large for newcomers to flight sims so they can see the runways better in the night lessons, which I guess is understandable.

I'm also curious about what is lighting up all the plane surfaces in the exterior views? Doesn't look like moonlight, it's more like they're added a self-illumination to the 3D textures so the plane doesn't look too dark. In the later DFS I hope they let the plane models go black at night, except for whatever illumination you get from the aircraft's own lights and strobe.

It looks like they're using the old FSX airport data. KSEA has added another runway, and it isn't there in the sim. It shows how much they're focusing on the planes and the lessons instead of anything else, and again I think that's understandable. Just don't expect the world outside the flight school airports to be 100% accurate.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

After watching all videos (counted 6 previews)  and screenshots i found i must say it`s optical a big step back. It is so ugly compared to MS Flight or a pimped FSX/P3D.

Can not believe they dare to release it in 2016.

And from what i get from the videos the "Flight School" teaching or introduction to flight sim effect is not much more than other flight sim missions in FSX or MSFlight did.

Bummer for now...

• Upvote 2

I'm not sharing the presenter's enthusiasm for the look of that night flight video above (but I'm spoiled by X-Plane, I admit). Why are all the light sources, including PAPI, runway, and street lights so big?

I was thinking the same thing. Add lighting to fix up in addition to clouds.Is this a new users impression? The aircraft interior looks decent.

Also looked very smooth for Seattle area, but then again there isnt any weather or AI. Hoping it stays smooth when addons are present in DTGFS

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png