Sign in to follow this  
Jessica Bannister-Pearce

New preview shots

-- deleted --

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Lenovo TB310FU 9,5" Tablet for Navigraph and some available external FMCs or AVITABs

I think that ORBX is positioning themselves to be a preeminent consultant to the likes of both DTG and LM.  ORBX has created ground-breaking scenery and now with their added new tech that will show up in later on, they will become an integral part of a much bigger picture.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

What did John V say? Not everyone has access to OrbX forums.

Edit: Already answered.  :wink:

barrel_owl -

Don't expect any developer will ever invest millions of dollars and years of work and research just to market a professional simulator for an entertainment price, when their target audience, despite all our wishful thinking, is still a bunch of passionate users with a negligible share within the gaming market

But you're not taking something important into account there.

Titles such as GTA V cost the money they do because of the enormous content they provide. A flight simulator doesn't have to do that, in fact, all current simulators rely on other companies selling after market products to make their simulator engines shine. All we need the simulator designers to do is provide a decent engine on which to build. That's a lot cheaper.

barrel_owl -

But you're not taking something important into account there.

Titles such as GTA V cost the money they do because of the enormous content they provide. A flight simulator doesn't have to do that, in fact, all current simulators rely on other companies selling after market products to make their simulator engines shine. All we need the simulator designers to do is provide a decent engine on which to build. That's a lot cheaper.

I will not even waste time repeating why a flight simulator is much much much more than simply "a decent engine". The are lots of potentially amazing new engines out there, fact is they are not intended nor are supposed to be used at any time for flight simulation. In short, John Venema pretty much sums up my thought.

If you really think that it will be cheap, then try to knock at Microsoft's, Lockheed Martin's or any other developer's door and see what they will tell you. Provided they will ever open up that door and waste five minutes of their precious time to hear your request.

But you are obviously entitled to dream. After all, dreaming is free.

@JSilva

Thanks for the video link. It is very good.

Guest FlyBaby

Great video...

Every sim will have room for improvement, but DTG has definitely "kicked" the ball forward. They are in the business of building sims and I think they have positioned themselves to be the "leader" in the flight sim world.

Flight School (IMO) has the right balance for the new "younger" simmers, and their full release will capture the rest; DTG is attracting new users and growing their base.  DTG's flight school is what MS Flight should have been years ago; narrowing down the scope while keeping the core intact.

Yes, I want to see a flawless and super smooth flight sim, but you can't get there without a dedicated developer with the resources to deliver, and this is where I think DTG has LM and LR beat.

1. Their platform is on steam for seamless updates

2. They have a scenery partnership where I don't have to worry about integrating and updating (I hope they can they partner with REX).

3. They are not off on the side building sims on mobile devices further diverting their resources from the PC product.

I have DTG's train sim, and no...it is not perfect, but it is getting better all of the time. IMO, it is the best train sim you are going to find. I am sure that DTG will also dominate the flight sim world and I look forward to what they are going to introduce to this market.

Just saw that on AirdailyX. My question is why didnt they just get that guy to make their original trailer? Thats 10x better than what they originally put out. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

What do you expect to hear from a company who says their "Eggs are firmly in one basket"?  :Ying Yang:

Interesting. I still keep seeing FSX with Orbx ground textures, though. Not by any means bad but..... I've kinda been there and done that.......

• Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Interesting. I still keep seeing FSX with Orbx ground textures, though. Not by any means bad but..... I've kinda been there and done that.......

Most of us here have, I dont think we were ever the ones meant for this first product from them anyway. Although I see a little bit more than just FSX in there, especially when he looks at the exterior of that Piper

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

What do you expect to hear from a company who says their "Eggs are firmly in one basket"?  :Ying Yang:

What they said actually is what I expected them to say. But they have had a look at the Outerra engine. If someone like John Venema, with that many (technical) experience in the flight simulator world, states the Microsoft engine is the better choice I believe that  :wink:

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

What they said actually is what I expected them to say. But they have had a look at the Outerra engine. If someone like John Venema, with that many (technical) experience in the flight simulator world, states the Microsoft engine is the better choice I believe that  :wink:

Well, I know they looked at it several years ago but that seems to be it.

The comments he's made regarding certain flaws in the scenery like only one type of tree, etc make it clear he hasn't kept up with developments since that time which is'nt surprising in an FSX-centric ecology.

DTG itself I believe, seems aware that the current FSX based ecology has small interest in major and risky retooling for something unproven and truly new. The tried and true route is the safe route, and looking at Flight School, you can see even a new player like DTG chooses not to tread very far from safe and proven FSX tech shores.

Withe these legacy facts on the ground and 10 years of FSX inertia, its seems less and less likely that anything but re-warmed FSX will ever be on the plate unless something from left field forces a paradigm change.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

barrel_owl -

If you really think that it will be cheap, then try to knock at Microsoft's, Lockheed Martin's or any other developer's door and see what they will tell you. Provided they will ever open up that door and waste five minutes of their precious time to hear your request.

You're really getting the wrong end of the stick here old boy. I said "cheaper" NOT "cheap".

If you added DTG's Laminar's and Lockheed Martin's budgets together you wouldn't come any where near the $170 Million spent on GTA V.

My point was, they don't need to spend that kind of money, they do need to spend the time on the development of their respective engines, less so the content.

• Upvote 1