Sign in to follow this  
edpatino

Do LM have to go back to support v3.2?

Hi all

After P3Dv3.3 release last June 1st, all related forums are full of complaints about compatibility issues with "old scenery" that did not meet the P3D SDK standard and also a lot of P3D crashes due to OOMs. In the meantime, a lot or probably almost all users rolled back to P3Dv3.2. Why don't LM roll back itself into v3.2 and postpone the release to allow for a more solid v3.3 version in few weeks?.

That would imply posting v3.2 again in the P3D download section, just for the licensees that paid for the product and unfortunately did not have in hand a backup of the previous v3.2.

Again, I'm convinced that this past v3.3 release was a huge technical and marketing mistake from LM.

Cheers, Ed 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Agree Ed, they could at least provide a permanent link to a 3.2 DL.

Anyway they have stated they will address this scenery issue in 3.3. It's not actually just "old" scenery it's the way certain scenery has been built so has been seen to be a bug this time.

But eventually after that they may as well stop development, otherwise "old" planes and "old" weather are up next for the treatment.

I have Simaddons complete set (20+) of Canadian airports, Blueprint airports and some FSX free downloads of airports.  Also use ORBX Global and Vector and a few of their area programs like Europe, and Canada North/Alaska. I am using V3.3 and have no problems at all with any of this scenery.  This is a developer's problem not LM and you have to pick good developers such as Simaddons if you want to have a good experience with scenery.

• Upvote 1

I have Simaddons complete set (20+) of Canadian airports, Blueprint airports and some FSX free downloads of airports.  Also use ORBX Global and Vector and a few of their area programs like Europe, and Canada North/Alaska. I am using V3.3 and have no problems at all with any of this scenery.  This is a developer's problem not LM and you have to pick good developers such as Simaddons if you want to have a good experience with scenery.

Hi there, please tell that to Fly Tampa!. If you do, please come back and comment, please!.

Cheers, Ed

Anyway they have stated they will address this scenery issue in 3.3. It's not actually just "old" scenery it's the way certain scenery has been built so has been seen to be a bug this time.

Agreed, Steve

• Upvote 2

All of these complaints about v3.3 ditching the old scenery technologies appear to be predicated on the assumption we are LM's target audience.  We are absolutely not.

Quite a number of us have maintained that for the moment we are useful beta testers for P3D, but if our interests diverge from that of LM's corporate customers, it's our interests that will suffer.

I feel that time is approaching, ironically not so much from LM's side; but from those people that develop the add on's we all use in P3D they are showing signs of frustration trying to retain compatibility while LM are changing the platform, this will only get worse.

• Upvote 1

All of these complaints about v3.3 ditching the old scenery technologies appear to be predicated on the assumption we are LM's target audience.  We are absolutely not.

Quite a number of us have maintained that for the moment we are useful beta testers for P3D, but if our interests diverge from that of LM's corporate customers, it's our interests that will suffer.

I feel that time is approaching, ironically not so much from LM's side; but from those people that develop the add on's we all use in P3D they are showing signs of frustration trying to retain compatibility while LM are changing the platform, this will only get worse.

How many corporate customers do you think LM has?  I doubt if it exceeds the number of non-corporate users . 

How many corporate customers do you think LM has? I doubt if it exceeds the number of non-corporate users .

Yes, but a single large corporate customer is probably worth much more in revenue than a few hundred basement simmers.

We are revenue peasants. Some will leave and more will come, but we will always be there - and probably grow in numbers. Much like collecting taxes from the poor. Useful - but really significant for the likes of a global defence contractor.

Yes, but a single large corporate customer is probably worth much more in revenue than a few hundred basement simmers.

This.

Cheers!

Luke

I had most of the Simaddon airports for FSX. I declined to pay the ridiculous prices for the P3D versions.

• Upvote 1

3.3 contains a few bugs and unintentional changes, but going back to the 3.2 codebase and rewriting everything would be just pointless and a waste of time. Software development just doesn't work that way. Just wait for the hotfix...

Lockheed-Martin was quite publicly vocal about no longer supporting ASM scenery development. They started that back when v2 was released. So when L-M suddenly decides to actually "pull the trigger" (with developers having had well over a year to rework their scenery to ensure compatibility)... it showed just how few developers bothered to actually make their scenery 100% Prepar3D compatible.

It's not L-M's fault this happened. If you need to point fingers... make certain they're pointing in the right direction.

• Upvote 7

This.

Cheers!

Luke

I am a firm believer in terseness in technical discussions, but "This", is taking it a bit far.

"This."

...is incomprehensible

...was the week that was?

....is my belly button...????

.....is my finger up an orifice?????

......is Trump in Hades??????

This....this what?

Chas

This....this what?

What he said. ie. I am agreeing with the poster I quoted and the specific language.

Cheers!

Luke

You get what you pay for.

I know. I paid for it once already and I don't mind paying an upgrade price BUT....

I had most of the Simaddon airports for FSX. I declined to pay the ridiculous prices for the P3D versions.

Then you must have missed one of Ralph's specials. He was very generous in converting FSX to P3D licenses, I think around the end of last year. I can't remember exactly, but it was something between $0 and $30 for all of his airports.

Peter

Agree Ed, they could at least provide a permanent link to a 3.2 DL.

But eventually after that they may as well stop development, otherwise "old" planes and "old" weather are up next for the treatment.

May as well get used to it, in the eventuality when P3D goes 64 bit very little will remain working anyways.

We are revenue peasants. 

It's not L-M's fault this happened. If you need to point fingers... make certain they're pointing in the right direction.

I am a firm believer in terseness in technical discussions, but "This", is taking it a bit far.

This....this what?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Key phrases, emphasis mine.

Actually we are lucky LM lets us go along for the ride.

Ed, over the last couple of days I see the frustration in your posts.

LM is making a hotfix and you can continue again.

Myself I use AS Schiphol and AS Faro and can make this almost 3 hour flight without VAS issues.

A little flickering at Faro at one place from a certain distance, for the rest no issues.

Lucky me, I am enjoying the current v3.3...

And with the hotfix it will even be better.

So have a cold drink and let LM do the work for us ..

How many corporate customers do you think LM has?  I doubt if it exceeds the number of non-corporate users .

Bob, considering corporate customer's pay more like $2,000 per seat for P3D Professional... Do the math!

Also, the "hotfix" is out now so there's no point in further whining discussion.

• Upvote 1

The hotfix delivered.

• Upvote 1

Then you must have missed one of Ralph's specials. He was very generous in converting FSX to P3D licenses, I think around the end of last year. I can't remember exactly, but it was something between $0 and $30 for all of his airports.

Peter

I don't ever remember it being 0 or $30. Otherwise, I would have converted. Doesn't matter now. I know I won't be paying the prices he's asking now.

Ed, over the last couple of days I see the frustration in your posts.

LM is making a hotfix and you can continue again.

Myself I use AS Schiphol and AS Faro and can make this almost 3 hour flight without VAS issues.

A little flickering at Faro at one place from a certain distance, for the rest no issues.

Lucky me, I am enjoying the current v3.3...

And with the hotfix it will even be better.

So have a cold drink and let LM do the work for us ..

Sorry I looked as I was frustrated, but not really, I was lucky enough of not upgrading to v3.3 (yet). What surprised me is all the noise created and the - in some way - interruption on the way forward of P3D after v3.0 (seems to me). But now that LM released the hotfix today let's see how it comes!. Good luck and thanks for posting!

Cheers, Ed

What he said. ie. I am agreeing with the poster I quoted and the specific language.

Cheers!

Luke

...gotcha....NEVERRRMINNNND...

C