Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

P3D 64 bit status

Now;

The question would it will be: " Do you guys think that LM will build for VR users?" (probably yes for compartability

My%20Signature.jpg

No it doesn't, in fact since XP is already 64bit, I would say its the other way around.

The fact that a sim is 64 bit doesn't mean it is a better or more advanced sim. You could in fact say 32 or 64 bit has nothing to do with that.

The fact that a sim is 64 bit doesn't mean it is a better or more advanced sim

I didn't said that but I do agree with you and I so I think it also plays the other way around, doesn't it.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I dont claim to know any programming, but I do recall when XPX went 64 bit. It wasnt that long to wait for 64 conversion addons. It was just a recompile though. I would assume LM provide the proper tools to do the same.

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

The issue I think will be that 32-bit code (in the addons) will be trying to call in to the 64bit sim - an interface layer (a DLL) of 32bit code that translates the calls could be provided...might even work some of the time...

The problem is that a 64-bit executable cannot load a 32-bit DLL, and the GAU files are... DLLs.

In theory it's a simple recompile, but given that it's C/C++ which allows you to make a lot of assumptions regarding the size of various objects, I'm not sure it's so simple.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

The 64bit issue is one of allocation, not the data type.  The other issue is 3rd party developer tool support for 64bit (i.e. scaleform, CUDA, speedtrees, sundog) ... these are LM's development tools not to be confused with 3rd party content providers ... and these tools all have existing 64bit versions.

Not sure what Mir is talking about, there are no 64bit materials/textures requirements, the color space is 32bit ... but I can see implications around the Virtuali process but as far as I know python has 64bit runtimes.

A clue is DTG Flight School which is 64bit using Orbx existing FTX scenery ... this integration was done rather quickly. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

I dont expect to know about it personally until its released, but I do hope LM are reaching out to devs in the beta program so that they can ensure they know what issues they may face with an incoming 64 bit version, whenever that is. Enough of a heads up to test and work out wrinkles doesnt seem too much to ask? K

• Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

The 64bit issue is one of allocation, not the data type.  The other issue is 3rd party developer tool support for 64bit (i.e. scaleform, CUDA, speedtrees, sundog) ... these are LM's development tools not to be confused with 3rd party content providers ... and these tools all have existing 64bit versions.

Not sure what Mir is talking about, there are no 64bit materials/textures requirements, the color space is 32bit ... but I can see implications around the Virtuali process but as far as I know python has 64bit runtimes.

A clue is DTG Flight School which is 64bit using Orbx existing FTX scenery ... this integration was done rather quickly. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

Quite interesting... Initially, I would have assumed, that it would be addons which (one way or another) interfaces with the simulator - like most advanced aircrafts (PMDG, Aerosoft etc) and sceneries like that rely on Virtuali Addon Manager like FSDT/FlightBeam sceneries, which would have problems... 

But I don't know enough about it, though... 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

As rob said orbx and dovetail are all ready in 64bit so hopefully LM are on to this and Rob might know a little bit more than hes allowed to say .

With x-plane 11 looking like they have a new build coming and DTG 64 bit and dcs world all running 64 bit i would like to hope Lm are now thinking its time to push before losing customers to them 

I might be wrong because my misses says i usually am :-)

:Tounge:  :Shame On You:

One area I hope LM fixes or improves is the default sound engine.  I liking what X-Plane 11 will bring in working with engines sounds.

One area I hope LM fixes or improves is the default sound engine.  I liking what X-Plane 11 will bring in working with engines sounds.

Sound engine was "one" of the advantage for DCS when they went to 64 bit, sound is now running in its own thread and I believe it allowed better enhancement for engine functions

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

P3D 4.0 would fit very well to 64 bit...

Regards,

Chris

--

13900K, Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4090, 32GB DDR5 RAM, Asus Rog Swift PG348Q G-SYNC 1440p monitor, Varjo Aero/Pico 4 VR

I hope when P3D goes to 64 bit it doesn't win up looking like X Plane or Flight School.  :wink:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I hope when P3D goes to 64 bit it doesn't win up looking like X Plane or Flight School.  :wink:

We'll see... :wink:

"They're pissing on our heads and they tell us they're pissing on our heads, but we say it's raining because we don't want to be labeled 'conspiracy theorists' ".

:Tounge: I thought I was getting seizures last time I tried X-Plane with all the shimmering scenery...flashing buildings...etc.  I must be the only one I guess because every youtube video I see none of that.  Maybe you need a supercomputer to run but it was awful on mine (with a 6700k/970GTX).  Maybe I'll try 10.50 just for grins but am not falling into the 'grass is greener on the other side' trick again cause it ain't.