Sign in to follow this  
grandfred29

crash at dubai

Also as a tip: When traveling, carry all passports and other required documents, credit cards, etc. in your pockets and/or purse.

I have a small shoulder bag about 12x10x4 in which I stuff all my documents, keys etc. So it's light enough for me to be able to clamber over other passenger to get to the exit first!! lol

People do get up and get their things before the aircraft exits the runway every time I fly nowadays.

Dangerous behavior, and especially useless since one has to wait for a while before they leave the aircraft, and then wait again for Immigration and bags.

On my last flight to London Gatwick someone got up during the taxi to gate after landing. And there was a very loud "SIT DOWN NOW!" from one of the cabin crew.

Rick,

Time passes quickly when you're retired! :smile:

The current obsession with mobile phones, selfies and filming everything is depressing. :sad:

I suspect several here may not remember the 1985 Manchester incident. An object hit an engine during the take-off roll causing it to catch fire. The take-off was aborted but when the pilot steered the aircraft off the runway it meant the prevailing wind blew flames towards the fuselage. 55 people died trying to get off the aircraft that hadn't even left the ground.

It was this incident that caused floor lighting to be introduced. No mobile phones in those days. If the pax on yesterday's flight had been around in 1985 their attitude towards safety might have been better.

A small correction Ray, It was a bad repair to one of the combustion pots. So it basically blew apart. But as you say had the pilot parked up facing the other direction there would have been no fatalities. Also if I recall many of the survivors felt bad at having survived because they got out quickly by clambering over other passengers. And another point valuable time was lost by the cabin crew initially telling eveyone to sit down.

Shows how different some nationalities are. Complete lack of common sense! :mad:

I hope this thread does not assume racist tones. I'm pretty sure every different nationality has, in some of its specific attitudes, what other nationalities see as lack of common sense...

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Bill,

Note I said some nationalities. I wasn't specific about which because there was a mixture of different ones on the flight.

if some are offended by my comment I withdraw it.

A small correction Ray, It was a bad repair to one of the combustion pots. So it basically blew apart. But as you say had the pilot parked up facing the other direction there would have been no fatalities. Also if I recall many of the survivors felt bad at having survived because they got out quickly by clambering over other passengers. And another point valuable time was lost by the cabin crew initially telling eveyone to sit down.

Thanks for the correction Volo. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Rick,

Time passes quickly when you're retired! :smile:

The current obsession with mobile phones, selfies and filming everything is depressing. :sad:

I suspect several here may not remember the 1985 Manchester incident. An object hit an engine during the take-off roll causing it to catch fire. The take-off was aborted but when the pilot steered the aircraft off the runway it meant the prevailing wind blew flames towards the fuselage. 55 people died trying to get off the aircraft that hadn't even left the ground.

It was this incident that caused floor lighting to be introduced. No mobile phones in those days. If the pax on yesterday's flight had been around in 1985 their attitude towards safety might have been better.

Yes, Ray, I remember it so well. And the speed with which that plane was engulfed in flames was unbelievable. Passengers seem to have a misconception that the aircraft is all metal. They don't think of the upholstery combustible materials, or the fuel in the tanks, etc, etc.

And you are so spot-on with your observations of today's media devices obsession, as a restaurant/pub has decided to block all wi-fi so that diners can talk to one another and thus create a convivial dining atmosphere instead of heads buried, and just today Ofcom reports about people missing sleep because they are so Net-fixed.

• Upvote 1

It would have been obvious as soon as the aircraft landed that there was a serious problem. When cabin crew deploy emergency chutes I think I would put saving my life ahead of any material possessions which can be replaced unlike my life.

Yikes, that's a bit harsh Ray.

These people are probably all in shock, i very much doubt they are thinking entirely rationally, they are also likely to be migrant workers, without all there documents it will probably not be easy to work in the UAE, they may face being sent home.  

If you or I left our passports and wallet on the plane it's a rather inconvenient trip to the UK embassy and phone call to friends, for these people it may well be no money and deported back to the country of origin.

I remember falling off my bike in Prestbury (an affluent part of Cheshire), i had smashed my head against a tree, but i was still trying to ride my bike (badly damaged and without a seat) back home.  Fortunately somebody pulled over and told me to stop and called an Ambulance.  I eventually came to my senses in the back of the Ambulance.  Shock does strange things to people.

For having worked in other countries like India and some African countries, the formalities to get some travel documents (passports, visas...) are so complicated, long and expensive that I can easely understand that in unusual situations, people may react differently. I'm living in France and if my passport is lost, I can easely go to the police station to file a loss declaration and then go to the town hall to get a new one with another ID, and the visas that were valid on the lost passport will be automatically transferred to the new passport. Not the same in other countries.

The "rational way of thinking" depends on the situation (pardon my English). Look at all the people jeopardizing their own life to get something better (e.g.: Boat people...).

It would not cross my mind to get to a small wooden craft to cross an ocean, but nothing pushes me to do so.

Back to the case of the evacuation of an aircraft, I'm not saying that it is normal and the way to do to try to take their own bags in the overheads before evacuating, but it is difficult to blame people without knowing the reasons why they do so.

There may be understandable (not saying acceptable) reasons or not. Trying to get documents that may take months and a lot of money to get and that may change the life can be understandable, reaching for some easely replaceable belongings is not.

• Upvote 2

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Rick,

Just seen that detox report on BBC News. I heard a report that authorities in Sydney were considering putting warnings on the pavement because so many people were staring down at their phones and not looking where they were going!

Romain, the 777 incident at Las Vegas last year also involved people trying to get their bags when they should have been getting off the aircraft. Then filming the bloody aircraft from outside when they should have been withdrawing to a safe distance!

It seems a huge number of people are obsessed with social media and filming everything for their 5 minutes of fame! I despair.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Taking the smart phone to film an emergency situation while being involved in that situation is definitely not being one of my understandable reasons. It was also the same with the crash of the 777 at SFO. I was stunned to see that the first images of the crash came from survivors of the crash using the smart phone...

"smart" phones are not always used by "smart" people!

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Trying to get documents that may take months and a lot of money to get and that may change the life can be understandable, reaching for some easely replaceable belongings is not.

A fair point, Romain, as I too know all about the hassles, not to mention the bribes, needed to get documents, attestations, etc, etc in the countries you mention. And in the Dubai crash I can well understand why they did what they did because the majority of them would have been returning to the UAE for work and as Ian has pointed out, there could be complications for them. But to stand up when a T7 has just touched undercarriage on Rwy 27 at VABB and open lockers to get their hand luggage.................................that was incomprehensible as it could have led to cabin baggage bouncing of pax's heads had the French pilot applied brakes sharply to exit the Rwy.

not looking where they were going!

Happens to me each time I go into a major town as I have to side-step out of the way!

The video I saw was disturbing on 2 fronts. People were clogging the aisles getting their stuff from the overhead and at least one person felt the need to record it rather than get off the aircraft quickly.

Richie Walsh

Happens to me each time I go into a major town as I have to side-step out of the way!

Next time don't. Stand your ground and brace yourself. They'll probably come off worse and hopefully not do it again. think of it as a public service! :lol:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Next time don't. Stand your ground and brace yourself. They'll probably come off worse and hopefully not do it again. think of it as a public service! :lol:

That's fine, Ray, except when the bloke is 6-foot and built like the proverbials. I find dodging easier for me to make progress on my way. :Black Eye: :Black Eye:

That's fine, Ray, except when the bloke is 6-foot and built like the proverbials. I find dodging easier for me to make progress on my way. :Black Eye: :Black Eye:

You have to be selective Rick. Just young ladies! :wink:

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Just heard the BALPA's flight safety officer, ex-military and commercial pilot, Steve Randell, of 27 years flying experience, point out that during the safety brief prior to departure, the cabin crew do issue instructions on evacuating an aircraft in an emergency, and how a pilot will only issue that command if it is a life and death urgency, and yet, in that video shot from inside that Emirates 777, smoke can clearly be seen entering the cabin. He suggested that mindsets need to be changed.

He also stated that he obtains one of those liquid see-through bags and puts his mobile, his CC,and his passport in it and keeps it wih him during T/O and arrival.

You have to be selective Rick. Just young ladies! :wink:

Ray, I have a job avoiding old ladies in their moto-scooters, never mind young ladies! :wink: :wink:

• Upvote 1

...next thing we will hear about is someone catching Pokemon GO on the slides and taxiways during the evacuation.  :Shame On You:

That would be rather EPIC!  Ahem.. sorry that was not the answer you might have been looking for :D

I can see it now... front page banner headline "Man sucked into jet engine whilst chasing Pikachu on Pokemon GO"

I would hope that whoever designed Pokemon GO has not put any of the virtual critters anywhere near an airport... or nuclear power station... oh, hang on... ;)

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I would hope that whoever designed Pokemon GO has not put any of the virtual critters anywhere near an airport... or nuclear power station... oh, hang on... ;)

We already have this guy walking down the subway tracks at Union Station in Toronto chasing Pokemon  :fool:

screen-shot-2016-07-20-at-12-13-04-pm.jp

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/07/20/brazen-video-shows-pokmon-go-player-on-ttc-subway-tracks.html

Matthew Kane