Sign in to follow this  
grandfred29

crash at dubai

Because a video shot from inside the plane has just been broadcast on BBC News showing the mainly Indian passengers stopping to collect their overhead luggage totally ignoring Emirates attendants please to head for the exits and the chutes. But then did the same not happen with that BA777 fire in Las Vegas?

Bloody stupid passengers trying to get hand baggage from overhead lockers and jeopardising the safety of themselves and others.

Idiots getting their phones out and start filming when they should be hell-bent on getting off the aircraft. Manchester 1985 has obviously not registered with many.

• Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sadly, Ray, memories have a very short lifespan. But then the behaviour of Indian passengers is nothing short of atrocious.

I was once on an Air France 777-200 flight from CDG to Mumbai, and the flight was  a bit late arriving into Mumbai, but to the French FA's utter astonishment and mine sat at very rearward seats, we watched Indian passengers standing up and then  opening the overhead lockers as soon as we touched down and were in reverse thrust rather than wait till that 772 had reached the jetway. And the cause of this insane behaviour? Because they feared missing onward connections. Never mind that they still had long snaking lines of immigration and customs to go through, then catch a taxi to get to the Domestic Terminal which was across the other side of the International Terminal.

That French FA must have lost her voice yelling amidst the commotion trying to get them to desist from standing up and opening the overheads.

So, this latest behaviour hardly comes as a surprise to me. Publicity and social media clamour for fame has a lot to answer for.

• Upvote 2

GE90s are spectacularly powerful but don't they take some time to spool up, so the big girl has to wait a little before a positive rate is achieved?

That aircraft was equipped with RR Trent engines, which are not quite as powerful as the GE90 engines.

On the subject of pax trying to retrieve their bags from the overhead bins...

Airlines need to invest in a central locking mechanism that ensures these things can't open after leaving the gate until the cockpit crew and/or the chief FA determines it's okay to do so.

Also as a tip: When traveling, carry all passports and other required documents, credit cards, etc. in your pockets and/or purse.

• Upvote 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Good grief, what is so important in the luggage, next thing we will hear about is someone catching Pokemon GO on the slides and taxiways during the evacuation.  :Shame On You:

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

According to the BBC, they were making a standard approach into 12L when the ATC ordered them to do a GA. No windshear conditions are being reported.

(...)

The METAR at the time of the accident included "WS ALL RWY " ("Windshear all runways"), so all over the field. The G/A was initiated by the crew. After the crew had advised ATC, ATC instructed them to climb to 4.000 ft. ATC audio was being scanned and recorded and can be accessed via certain live/archive ATC sites.

There's been a lot of misinformation about this accident, some of it coming right from people at the airport - why???

Good grief, what is so important in the luggage

Most likely  their passports  and  money

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Rick,

Shows how different some nationalities are. Complete lack of common sense! :mad:

Most likely  their passports  and  money

It would have been obvious as soon as the aircraft landed that there was a serious problem. When cabin crew deploy emergency chutes I think I would put saving my life ahead of any material possessions which can be replaced unlike my life.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Shows how different some nationalities are. Complete lack of common sense!

Yikes, that's a bit harsh Ray.

These people are probably all in shock, i very much doubt they are thinking entirely rationally, they are also likely to be migrant workers, without all there documents it will probably not be easy to work in the UAE, they may face being sent home.  

If you or I left our passports and wallet on the plane it's a rather inconvenient trip to the UK embassy and phone call to friends, for these people it may well be no money and deported back to the country of origin.

I remember falling off my bike in Prestbury (an affluent part of Cheshire), i had smashed my head against a tree, but i was still trying to ride my bike (badly damaged and without a seat) back home.  Fortunately somebody pulled over and told me to stop and called an Ambulance.  I eventually came to my senses in the back of the Ambulance.  Shock does strange things to people.

• Upvote 2

Ian R Tyldesley

The METAR at the time of the accident included "WS ALL RWY " ("Windshear all runways"), so all over the field. The G/A was initiated by the crew. After the crew had advised ATC, ATC instructed them to climb to 4.000 ft. ATC audio was being scanned and recorded and can be accessed via certain live/archive ATC sites.

There's been a lot of misinformation about this accident, some of it coming right from people at the airport - why???

Thanks for the correction, Oliver. Explains certain things.

ahead of any material possessions which can be replaced unlike my life.

Superbly put, Ray

Yikes, that's a bit harsh Ray.

These people are probably all in shock, i very much doubt they are thinking entirely rationally, they are also likely to be migrant workers, without all there documents it will probably not be easy to work in the UAE, they may face being sent home.  

If you or I left our passports and wallet on the plane it's a rather inconvenient trip to the UK embassy and phone call to friends, for these people it may well be no money and deported back to the country of origin.

I remember falling off my bike in Prestbury (an affluent part of Cheshire), i had smashed my head against a tree, but i was still trying to ride my bike (badly damaged and without a seat) back home.  Fortunately somebody pulled over and told me to stop and called an Ambulance.  I eventually came to my senses in the back of the Ambulance.  Shock does strange things to people.

Ian, if they're in shock it would be strange if their first reaction was to go for their material possessions. A mad dash for the exit would make more sense. I also posted that after reading Rick's post about some pax standing up (on another flight) when the aircraft was still on the runway.

Yes, people can do odd things if in shock as your story suggests but unlike your situation these pax weren't physically harmed. I just think it's current human nature to be more materialistic than in earlier generations. Look at the incident in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Mean post here, but hey such is life and i finally get to vent. :Devil:

I am mean in the sense that I always almost pray the Pilots slam on the brakes when we get close to the gate so I can have a mean laugh and say YOU DESERVE IT  you pathetic imbeciles.

People do get up and get their things before the aircraft exits the runway every time I fly nowadays.

Dangerous behavior, and especially useless since one has to wait for a while before they leave the aircraft, and then wait again for Immigration and bags.

Ray, sadly It happens on more routes and with more nationalities than you might expect.

• Upvote 1

Waleed N

Look at the incident in Las Vegas a couple of years ago.

In fact Ray, that was less than two years ago. It was September 2015, BA 777 fire. And yes, you are right, same modern day behavioural pattern there. Safety-mindedness goes out of the window as the selfish urge to recover hold baggage and thus impede swift de-planing, oblivious that a fire can spread very rapidly and thus imperil their safety and that of their fellow-passengers.

Rick,

Time passes quickly when you're retired! :smile:

The current obsession with mobile phones, selfies and filming everything is depressing. :sad:

I suspect several here may not remember the 1985 Manchester incident. An object hit an engine during the take-off roll causing it to catch fire. The take-off was aborted but when the pilot steered the aircraft off the runway it meant the prevailing wind blew flames towards the fuselage. 55 people died trying to get off the aircraft that hadn't even left the ground.

It was this incident that caused floor lighting to be introduced. No mobile phones in those days. If the pax on yesterday's flight had been around in 1985 their attitude towards safety might have been better.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Humans certainly act oddly, especially in times of shock.

As a general point, I don't think it's fair or accurate to generalize an entire nationality as having "a complete lack of common sense".   I'm sure some Indian people lack common sense, and others have plenty of it, and wouldn't act so irrationally.

....same goes for Brits, Americans, Canadians, French, German, Spanish, etc, etc, etc, etc..... 

No need to make any of this a matter of nationalistic divisiveness or superiority.

• Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)