Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Agree Murmur, but then what is the FDM engine all about ? Those tweaks would not work well unless you have a good FDM engine , I'll be honest I know nothing about programming and only understand a little about flight dynamics.

To me XP just feels better than the other civil sims and I am no real pilot ,but DCS feels just way ahead. XP helis are very close to DCS.

Well, if you have problems running XP10, XP11 won't improve things. PBR will likely make things worse, just like HDR did. As pointed out, the max settings in XP11 will be very different to the current max settings in XP10 and it's expected systems will eventually catch up. I'll probably continue to use both sims for a while since they can both be installed side-by-side and even share the same scenery directory.

I'm trying to get in on the hype and like DCS but it performs like a dog on my system, it's hard to fly around and appreciate the flight dynamics when it runs at 15 fps and if I want to run it so I get over 20fps I end up with really blurry textures so I can't actually see the cockpit clearly. I haven't installed the paid addons yet, but I can't imagine these will improve things :sad:. I don't blame DCS for this, I blame the fact that I'm running on bootcamp on a Mac which has subpar support (FSX and P3D have similar poor FPS for me). If I want to run Windows games, I will need to go out and get a gaming computer. X-Plane runs much faster on the same computer under Mac OS X than it does on Windows.

Hmm I think the bootcamp windows is not using the GPU properly that could be the only reason. Are there any bootcamp drivers ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Yep, I've installed all the bootcamp drivers and even tried to install updated Nvidia drivers. X-Plane reports it is using the card, I think the issue is the retina display somehow as I never had this issue on my older non-retina mac. Even Windows seems sluggish. As a last try, I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 to see if this improves it, as I don't remember 7 being that bad.

Actually nothing, since X-Plane 10 introduced datarefs that allow aircraft developers to override aerodynamic and other forces and plug-in their owns.

Contrary to what some may think, even for flight simulators like DCS you don't just enter aircraft geometry and magically get a 100% accurate flight model.

You can notice this by noting that all of DCS flight models get continually tweaked, changed and improved. Getting a 100% accurate flight model in DCS requires a lot of tweaking and of course access to the real aircraft data, as it's to be expected and as it is for every other flight simulator.

i have seen multiple posts where devs such as PMDG and IXEG ,realair,majestic etc, talk about how they either had to work around some un-friendly flight dynamics behavior of a particular sim (X-plane and FSX/P3D) , and were able to produce really good results (evident via their final products) , and by results i mean as close as possible to the flight model of the real aircraft in question.

I guess it boils down to how good a developer can model the flight characteristics and how the sim either helps them do it or it hinders the process.Devs almost always have to find workarounds.

in any case i would not know how the real stuff feels while flying, coz i have never flown IRL.

• Upvote 2

Yep, I've installed all the bootcamp drivers and even tried to install updated Nvidia drivers. X-Plane reports it is using the card, I think the issue is the retina display somehow as I never had this issue on my older non-retina mac. Even Windows seems sluggish. As a last try, I'm going to downgrade to Windows 7 to see if this improves it, as I don't remember 7 being that bad.

Hmm is retina the resolution thing ? can you try with a lower res ?

Yes, but then it's really blurry and looks bad.

Hmm, what resolution have you kept for DCS ?  Hey PM please, let's not hijack this thread. But in the meantime if this would help :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5146859?tstart=0

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/11985118482

• Upvote 2

whats wrong with X-planes flight dynamics ?

The detail / customization that DCS and IL2 BoS have... and can't be provided by a general purpose FDM, without tweaking, as others mentioned.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The detail / customization that DCS and IL2 BoS have... and can't be provided by a general purpose FDM, without tweaking, as others mentioned.

All sims do use certain external programs / scripts , but eventually the FDM has to be good too. e.g. the taildraggers in XPlane they are so horrible during windy takeoffs now can that be controlled by a script ? 

Yesterday I was on the VA server and there were two pilots who had made some changes on the aircraft and was a Su-33 well it taking off like a heli and hovering now that is controlled by some script like the lua 

All sims do use certain external programs / scripts , but eventually the FDM has to be good too. e.g. the taildraggers in XPlane they are so horrible during windy takeoffs now can that be controlled by a script ?

Ground physics is another matter, and X-Plane ground physics is seriously flawed.

External plugins can override gear forces as well, but of course having a decent ground physics model would improve the behaviour of all aircrafts.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Yes it won't play well unless there is a good FDM too , scripts are probably just to add some extra stuff , i would not know, My frustration with XPlane is only the ground physics especially with the props and  nothing else I think.  I would also appreciate if LR could give us control setups per aircraft though a plugin does exists but limited.

They just need to polish the code and it should get way better and hopefully that happens in the XP11 update cycle.  Let's wait and see till then DCS and XP10 are great.  

I believe that a module that could take so much time to develop in X-Plane as a DCS ED module takes - just take the upcoming Spitfire as an example - and using the same level of fine tuning could possibly be made to behave as realistically, or very close, in X-Plane.

Scripting and ven Plane Maker can do many things, but then there's also airfoil tuning and creation of invisible lift / drag agents in X-Plane that can play a difference. Unfortunately not many developers explore these details..

But even the default C172 in X-Plane 10 is, IMO, an excellent reproduction of the real thing...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes, but then it's really blurry and looks bad.

Try running X-Plane in exactly half the resolution of the retina display. Should look good!

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

Try running X-Plane in exactly half the resolution of the retina display. Should look good!

I think i did suggest the same , actually i didn't

Seems new water is in the pipeline for XP11 as per this post from Laminar showing an early stage preview

http://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/

That 3D water motion is very cool. Finally mid-ocean and larger/deeper lakes won't look like small shallow lakes.

I'm wondering how this will affect static ship models used for decoration in custom scenery, like the cruise ships and logging barges in some of the PNW scenery. Right now those boats sit on a flat 2D water surface, and the areas between some islands would normally have swells like that. Will there be a new ship model type that floats vertically along with the wave motion, or do these models just "drown" when a wave passes?  :P

On a related subject, Ben did mention in the comments that they're looking at doing water tints for islands at some point in the future, so that sounds promising. Tropical islands and places like the Florida Keys will look much better then.

• Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor