Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Who wants another FSX but anyway back to topic.

I think LR has anyway done a great job with the lighting and HDR in XP10 so we can expect the PBR thingy to be real good. The daylight was always a concern for me in XP10 , but those pics show it real good. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I was of course talking about how both DTG Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator are using the same technology and engine.

I am not so sure if even Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator will use the same engine.

I am not so sure if even Flight School and DTG Flight Simulator will use the same engine.

Dude, the engine will be the same. They said Flight School is a test bed for some of the technology for their Flight Sim. Does it mean it will be exactly the same? Hopefully not, but it's beyond the point. They both feature PBR, how it was developed, if it's different between Flight School and the Flight Sim is irrelevant in this discussion

• Upvote 1

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

If DCS does use PBR then XP11 should run quite well on my laptop and XP's Autogen or whatever that is very fast in fact I find it the fastest and I hope XP11 has the same programming for it.

And if XP11 could use DCS's flight dynamics too, that would be The Heaven !!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

And if XP11 could use DCS's flight dynamics too, that would be The Heaven !!!!

Maybe a decade later that too hopefully.

If DCS does use PBR then XP11 should run quite well on my laptop and XP's Autogen or whatever that is very fast in fact I find it the fastest and I hope XP11 has the same programming for it.

Well, if you have problems running XP10, XP11 won't improve things. PBR will likely make things worse, just like HDR did. As pointed out, the max settings in XP11 will be very different to the current max settings in XP10 and it's expected systems will eventually catch up. I'll probably continue to use both sims for a while since they can both be installed side-by-side and even share the same scenery directory.

I'm trying to get in on the hype and like DCS but it performs like a dog on my system, it's hard to fly around and appreciate the flight dynamics when it runs at 15 fps and if I want to run it so I get over 20fps I end up with really blurry textures so I can't actually see the cockpit clearly. I haven't installed the paid addons yet, but I can't imagine these will improve things :(. I don't blame DCS for this, I blame the fact that I'm running on bootcamp on a Mac which has subpar support (FSX and P3D have similar poor FPS for me). If I want to run Windows games, I will need to go out and get a gaming computer. X-Plane runs much faster on the same computer under Mac OS X than it does on Windows.

I'm trying to get in on the hype and like DCS but it performs like a dog on my system, it's hard to fly around and appreciate the flight dynamics when it runs at 15 fps and if I want to run it so I get over 20fps I end up with really blurry textures so I can't actually see the cockpit clearly. I haven't installed the paid addons yet, but I can't imagine these will improve things :sad:. I don't blame DCS for this, I blame the fact that I'm running on bootcamp on a Mac which has subpar support (FSX and P3D have similar poor FPS for me). If I want to run Windows games, I will need to go out and get a gaming computer. X-Plane runs much faster on the same computer under Mac OS X than it does on Windows.

Sometimes I consider going MAC for good and forgetting about all of my Windows stuff.

I already have the best Boeing 744 simulator ready to run in Mac - Aerowinx PSX - and I would like to make X-Plane my only all-purpose sim, but I can't really :-/

I would also lose ELITE IFR, which I am very fond of too ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Sometimes I consider going MAC for good and forgetting about all of my Windows stuff.

My advice is don't. So many developers and companies choose not to release their products for Apple or delay it (e.g. Aerofly). If you use other simulators or games then sticking to Mac is a huge no, you'll feel like a second-class citizen in comparison to Windows users. I use Mac for work because it's so much nicer to develop on, but for games it's still far behind Windows and Apple have lost interest and concentrate more on iOS. Although it could be much worse, I could be using Linux  :smile:

There's only so much more "We have a new shiny product out, but Windows only" I can take.

PBR will likely make things worse, just like HDR did.

This. PBR, better Anti-Aliasing (TXAA would be gold) and the requirements of VR will raise X-Plane's requirements substantially. In other words, a 1080 GTX rules X-Plane 10, but for 11, it's already underpowered.

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

whats wrong with X-planes flight dynamics ?

Actually nothing, since X-Plane 10 introduced datarefs that allow aircraft developers to override aerodynamic and other forces and plug-in their owns.

Contrary to what some may think, even for flight simulators like DCS you don't just enter aircraft geometry and magically get a 100% accurate flight model.

You can notice this by noting that all of DCS flight models get continually tweaked, changed and improved. Getting a 100% accurate flight model in DCS requires a lot of tweaking and of course access to the real aircraft data, as it's to be expected and as it is for every other flight simulator.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Windows is much faster than Mac but fastest is Linux. Ubuntu is ~ 20% faster than a fully updated Windows 10 which itself is ~30% or more faster than OSX 10.9.

Looking for a GTX1070, which seems not even yet supported by osx...

My advice is don't. So many developers and companies choose not to release their products for Apple or delay it (e.g. Aerofly). If you use other simulators or games then sticking to Mac is a huge no, you'll feel like a second-class citizen in comparison to Windows users. I use Mac for work because it's so much nicer to develop on, but for games it's still far behind Windows and Apple have lost interest and concentrate more on iOS. Although it could be much worse, I could be using Linux  :smile:

There's only so much more "We have a new shiny product out, but Windows only" I can take.

Agreed. A decade or so ago Apple was better than Windows in some regards (speed, ease of setting the system up), but nowadays Windows is far better imho. I work on an Apple everyday (ever since around 1989) so I know what I am talking about. I would never even dream or think about buying an Apple for my home use. Not ever. You always lag behind in too many regards. The newest hardware and games are always there for PC, not for MAC. PC's are easier to change/alter/upgrade with the latest hardware. I work with the Adobe Creative Suite everyday and things load a lot quicker on my PC compared to the Mac (InDesign loads in 3 seconds on my PC and 2 minutes on my Mac). That also goes for the OS itself: my PC is ready for anything within 10 to 20 seconds, my Mac takes up to a few minutes before I can start something. The idea that Apple is better than Windows was true in 1995 but certainly not now anymore.

Tony,

I have given all of my DCS modules away to Zulfi and another PSX user, but in DCS it is legal to transfer module licenses to other users, and then fetch them back.

I will ask one of the users for the Bf109 K4, Fw190 D9 and P51d licenses, and Zulfi can certainly make temporarily available some of his licenses ( uh-1h, mi8 and L-39 or even f86 ? ) to you for testing.

Make sure you get the 1.5x version of the sim, not 2.x which requires "Nevada" and that is a huge download ( 20+ GB ).

With the Crimea map you will be just good to test...

You'll have to create a user, and then tell me what it is, so that, with Zulfi's and that other friend clearance I can transfer the licenses to your account. You can then test it for free, and legally, and decide if you want to invest.

Aerofly FS 2 is a huge install. Since I have a small disk, and am rather busy beta testing the next version of ELITE, I uninstalled it and am waiting for the release of the Q-400 and the first helicopter to install again, but it has a great FDM for sure... As a sim it is far from being as complete as either XP or MSFS and derivatives...

I no longer use DCS - that's why I gave away all of my licenses. Only use combat sims for the pleasure of tasting the much superior flight dynamics compared with MSFS or XP. But I do use IL2 Battle of Stalingrad, which as my sig says, is by far the closest to reality I ever felt in the world of virtual flights...

You will make me to test IL-2!

José Fco. Ibáñez /// i7 6700k (Delid) @ 4,6 Ghz /// Asrock Z170 OC Formula /// 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200 /// GTX 1070 Founders Edition 8GB /// LG 27UD58 4K 27' // OCZ Vertex 4 SSD (X-Plane 10) & SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD (P3D V3) /// Windows 10 Pro x64

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg