Sign in to follow this  
TOGA-saurus

X-Plane 11 Coming November!

Pleased to say interview with Austin is complete, I will publish within 24 hours.

Excellent!

Cheers, Rob.

It should all work nicely with XP11 too.

(just like I described above, that the existing HD / UHD Mesh scenery will continue to work).

And I thank you for that every time I fly Xplane.  You are appreciated.

• Upvote 1

Harry Woodrow

Pleased to say interview with Austin is complete, I will publish within 24 hours.

http://www.avsim.com...er-the-ma-r3839 

Great interview, thanks! It points out (again) how much of a personal project this is, for a very small group of enthusiasts. It's why X-Plane has some of the features it does that are far ahead of other sims, and also lacks other features. The hardcore stance on seasonal changes (no texture overlays) is a good example. It sounds like when it arrives it will be great, but it also sounds like the approach he wants is years away.

WRT better weather modeling, Austin seems to think that we're asking for more horizontal cloud layers because we're complaining about three layers. That's not the case at all. Many of us have been asking for a true 3D model so we can have vertical systems like CB's. With all due respect, he's punting on this question. We do understand, and we're waiting to see this better model. It's currently the largest and most glaring hole in the simulator, from my perspective.

Also regarding weather, he mentions better modeling of icing, which is great. But that gets back to inherent flaws in the current weather system. You can't turn around and fly *out* of conditions that are starting to ice up your plane, because the METAR generates those conditions in a 360 degree circle with your plane at the center. The icing travels with you! Again, a 3D model of weather systems where you can fly in and out of icing is what we need.

The new PT-6 modeling sounds great, but I wonder what the effect will be on current models using this engine. I spend most of my sim time now in two planes I "own" in the FSEconomy game that both use variants of the PT-6 engine: a turbo conversion Goose and a Bell 412 helicopter. Will I notice anything different flying these models in XP11, like altered performance or additional procedures required? Will I have to adjust anything in Planemaker, or will it "just work" and be a more accurate model of the engine? I hope we'll get this information soon.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

WRT better weather modeling, Austin seems to think that we're asking for more horizontal cloud layers because we're complaining about three layers. That's not the case at all. Many of us have been asking for a true 3D model so we can have vertical systems like CB's. With all due respect, he's punting on this question. We do understand, and we're waiting to see this better model. It's currently the largest and most glaring hole in the simulator, from my perspective.

Also regarding weather, he mentions better modeling of icing, which is great. But that gets back to inherent flaws in the current weather system. You can't turn around and fly *out* of conditions that are starting to ice up your plane, because the METAR generates those conditions in a 360 degree circle with your plane at the center. The icing travels with you! Again, a 3D model of weather systems where you can fly in and out of icing is what we need.

I think that is not 100% correct. I just tried setting negative temperatures and scattered clouds, and indeed the ice starts to accumulate more or less when you enter a specific cloud puff, but if you turn 180 degrees, the ice melts away when out of clouds.

Maybe the rain is more problematic because it tends to be everywhere even if clouds are scattered (didn't check this right now), but this is not true for example when using weather patterns or real weather. I remember flying in and out of rain in these situations.

I think this is in accordance with what Austin said in the interview, that the underlying weather system is already 3D at a low level, but it's the high level implementation that right now is mostly 2D and limited. Apparently he perfectly understood what the problem is with the current model, i.e. not the 3 layers per se, but rather that the current system is limited and 2D at the high level. I hope he will tackle the matter as soon as possible. :smile:

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Thanks for that info Murmur. Maybe icing is now operating on a "3D' level with respect to individual clouds and not the current injected METAR (or other data)?

If the current weather state effectively surrounds and moves with the plane, it's difficult to understand how you could fly out of it otherwise (without change of altitude into another layer). Maybe something has changed since I last tried it.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The new PT-6 modeling sounds great, but I wonder what the effect will be on current models using this engine.

There won't be any effect on current models. X-Plane reads the version of plane maker that wrote this plane and sets up the flight model accordingly. So older planes get the old system. But if you store the plane in a newer version of plane maker it will use this version.

Austin makes a big deal about airport traffic and the like. Cool eye-candies but I thought there were some more pressing matters. Plus, I am highly suspicious of these airport vehicles working well at all airports in the network for all airfield configurations.

Case in point: one of the video uploaded by Austin himself supposed to promote these new features has airport vehicles driving over/through other airport vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OlHmffMaKs

He also mentions snow accumulation. Great, but it has to be more than that. I think Flightgear is on the right path on that and this should be a top priority. A plought field in Fall is not looking the same as a green field in late Spring. Ans snow has nothing to do with that.

• Upvote 1

Xplane 11 Beta multi core CPU utilization

X-Plane11

GTX1070 8GB Vram - i7 4770K cpu @3.5GHz Quad core - 16GB RAM

Thanks. I still will have to see it with my own eyes in the Release Version, but this would be a huge step forward indeed. 

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

That is very promising.

Finally my quad core CPU will be used fully not to forget also the full use of RAMs (64 bit)

X-Plane11

Finally my quad core CPU will be used fully not to forget also the full use of RAMs (64 bit)

How much RAM do you have? The sim will only use as much RAM as it needs. More usage does not equal better performance.

Even XP10 has used - at least where it could - multiple cores, and I have also seen RAM usage going to 25-30 Gbytes. So, nothing new here with XP11, but consequently continuing to go down this road.

How much RAM do you have? The sim will only use as much RAM as it needs. More usage does not equal better performance.

I have 16GB of RAM but i was referring to 64 bit which takes advantage of RAMs as much as needed and does not limit the VAS

Even XP10 has used - at least where it could - multiple cores, and I have also seen RAM usage going to 25-30 Gbytes. So, nothing new here with XP11, but consequently continuing to go down this road.

Alpilotx, thanks for all your contributions to XPlane...in deed they are continuing the road by further improving the multi cores cpu utilization.

X-Plane11