Sign in to follow this  
N1125Y

SE, give me 5 reason why I should switch

Hello all

About to re format and re-install FSX, before doing so I'm wondering if it's worth to consider the SE as an option 

P3D is not an option due to respectively "Old" Rig 

so give me some reason why I should or should not make the move

Background:

I'm GA guy that fly mostly along the Pacific coast mainly SoCal with live ATC by PilotEdge

Not a multi-Player fan  

I used NickN for tweaking but as much as I love to Sim I hate to spend time on tweaking ( do I need to use Nick at all with SE ?)

Have lot of Hardware modules (GoFlight VRinsight Saitks, Etc).

Few add-on Mesh by FSGenesis, ORBEX Global & Vector, considering adding Socal & NoCal      

Few Carenado Birds and A2A 172 Trainer

Any input will be highly appreciate    

Cheers

Yair

I can't. I don't think there are 5.

I've tried twice. But both times missed my RXP GNS 530.

I just like the boxed version better. Stable for years. No CTDs or OOMs so why mess with it.

Eddie
KABQ

No point if you don't have any problems with regular FSX. With SE, the memory management is slightly better in my opinion, and basically some of the old tweaks are automatically coded into SE. That's about it.

From my experience, I get double FPS in Steam, I have no OOM (ASN, PMDG 777, FSDT KLAX, settings high, full AI traffic), I get smoother FPS, FSX Steam Edition is on sale through October 26 (This was my ulterior motivation to migrate). Once you try FSX Steam, you will never want to go back to boxed edition.

I haven't bothered jumping onto the Steam version, it should really be making the switch over to p3d. Like the others mentioned, if you'd like the multiplayer function; but there is vatsim,ivao and pilotedge for that which is a far more authentic and realistic place for atc. Unless you are using the dx10 fixer that manged vas in a more efficient way compared to dx9, and the dx10 fixer also works with steam version.

Honestly I would say save the cash and maybe get the dx10 fixer for your fsx, or just keep saving for p3d. 

Regards 

Interesting option. As I too am about to embark on a brand new build and install. Can anyone tell me if I will lose anything if I move to SE? eg. I have Vrinsight MCP and Saitek panels, Hotas Warthog throttle and PFC yoke, am I likely to run into any issues here, or with LINDA, FSUIPC, SPAD etc? etc. (sorry, don't want to hijack the thread :smile:) Cheers,

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Nothing to lose by moving to SE, more stable and better performance. Only thing is AES doesn't work with it and theres no plans to fix that.

Having said that, P3D trumps SE by far andso I have moved to it.

spacer.png

Nothing to lose by moving to SE, more stable and better performance. Only thing is AES doesn't work with it and theres no plans to fix that.

Having said that, P3D trumps SE by far andso I have moved to it.

I thought SE was simply FSX which was made downloadable. Do you know what they have done to it if, as you say, it has better performance and more stable? With the option of having to purchase P3D, which I incidentally have already paid for an earlier version, then PMDG NGX and four A2A aircraft, I just can't justify it. 

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

The SE version recompiled the code with a new compiler which has yielded benefits as I noted.

spacer.png

The SE version recompiled the code with a new compiler which has yielded benefits as I noted.

Interesting. Do you know if there is anything that doesn't work with SE?

Howard

AFAIK only AES.

spacer.png

Yes - AES and anything dependent on VistaMare (some older Aerosoft sceneries uses this - believe it's something to do with AESLite?)

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

AFAIK only AES.

Yes - AES and anything dependent on VistaMare (some older Aerosoft sceneries uses this - believe it's something to do with AESLite?)

Great, thanks guys, appreciated.

Howard

The RXP GNS 430 & 530 will NOT work. There might be an update coming.

The PMDG JS4100.

That's all I'm aware of.

I'm glad that I've stuck with the boxed version. So far my only complaint is fps and stability. I've lowered my settings and sometimes use DX10 and that helps.

Good luck with your new build. Let me know if the 6700K gives smooth performance at KLAX in FTX SCal region.

TKS

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

The RXP GNS 430 & 530 will NOT work. There might be an update coming.

The PMDG JS4100.

That's all I'm aware of.

I'm glad that I've stuck with the boxed version. So far my only complaint is fps and stability. I've lowered my settings and sometimes use DX10 and that helps.

Good luck with your new build. Let me know if the 6700K gives smooth performance at KLAX in FTX SCal region.

TKS

:good:

Howard